A solution to population and MAJOR fix for this game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by maximus, Aug 27, 2013.

1. maximus

Basically each server like mine (matherson) has shards for the 3 planets and each shard can hold 2000 players. This is how it works for them if not well they need to upgrade. However the servers work you could make it work with my solution.

Solution-
    Basically max each server out like this, combine all servers till you get VS 667, TR 667 and NC 667 on each planet and everyone else be Qed. And everyone in that Q would go to a over server where they could play like normal. The over flow server would suffer from what all current servers problems so no biggie.

The Negative--
    Only drawbacks I see, for one people that don't want to support the game would have to wait to join the BIG battle on the main server. They would be on the Q server. Also people that don't sub or support the game will have trouble grouping with there friends but this could be solved by just giving you option to join the Q server with your buds to wait. I would say its worth the sacrifice to fix some major problems this game has.

The Positive -
    This would cause more people to pay a subscription to the game and you would have a few servers or more that would be completely balanced. Also you would have a packed server EVERY day not just 1 or 2 days a week. Some servers have POWER outfits that dominate the other factions this would be fixed. Sever would always save room for sub players that will give even more reason for people to sub and support planetside. The more money they make the more items we get like new vehicles and planets maybe even some cave systems like ps1. No more sever jumping to wining faction because if the game is balanced you never know what could happen in 2 hour alerts.

From what I see the Positives for outweigh the negatives. But I'm sure some people would love there empty server unbalanced as long as they can play with there buds.
    • Up x 1
  2. PWGuy93

I've had thought's near what you're suggesting. My focus was more on how to reduce TK players, but they would fit in with your aim here. If not subbed, as you suggest they wouldn't even get to teleport to the main battles and we wouldn't see level 1 TK players there at all.

Consider the two additional continents and the multiple battle islands coming out someday in your suggestion.

All that said, personally I don't think there's a solution to balance that doesn't offer more sticks than carrots and we've read in the threads time and time again that they prefer carrots (incentives). It's like the studies on video streaming over the web, they found that if a video doesn't start within a few short seconds, people move on. A Queue would be just like that, people would move, probably to another game.

I don't discount your suggestions, the more suggestions the better. I just think we need to find the hidden carrots, the incentives to get players to make conscience choices that they find appealing.
    • Up x 1
  3. maximus

Yes with each planet they add, its like adding a sever because its instanced. So instead of going to Q server you could be sent to battle Island or anywhere that doesn't have a Q. Take me I've played Indar so much I never will go there but the newer player wouldn't mind. Bottom line is they need more planets , caves or islands 3 just isn't cutting it. Planetside1 one had like 10 planets and 5 caves I think? Just a guess been so long.
  4. Mr_Giggles

Guild Wars does this currently. If the main server is full you get sent to the overflow and it automatically queues you for the main server though you can opt out if you want.
    • Up x 1
  5. maximus

That's awesome maybe if it works for them SOE will take a look at it. Is that how Guild Wars started or did they switch to it after having they problems PL2 suffers from?
  6. Mr_Giggles

They have always been like that as far as I know. I got it on release and that was one of the first things I noticed (because my friend and I were standing in the same spot and couldn't see each other). They also made it possible for friends to warp to each other both ways though you had more luck going to the overflow for obvious reasons.

They also, crazy enough, have the ability to join friends on other servers except for in pvp, again for obvious reasons.
    • Up x 1
  7. simon11russell

Filling up the servers to capacity just makes more problems as they just cant handle it.
    • warping
    • terrible render distance
    • text and voice chat breaking
    • heals and repairing not registering
    Playing on miller we still from time to time get these same old problems because the server is busy and overloaded that have been around since launch. Intentional filling the servers to capacity will just make the game experience worse for everyone.

Also you have to remember that MMO's are more about the people you play with than anything else and especially in this game where your experience suffers if you cant play with your outfit. So what do you do if the rest of your outfit is on the main server and you are stuck in overflow? Stand around the warpgate waiting to join the main server (because seriously who is going to care about territory on the overflow server?) or more likely log off and do something else.

While long queues will drive up subs initially it would eventually kill the game. This is because people hate waiting this will cause some people will quit the game, others will stick it out and some will sub. More subs means more people in the subscriber queue leading to the problem we had when SOE gave out that free month of premium a while ago, with subscribers moaning about the wait time they paid for being to long and with people who aren't subs unable to get to the front of a queue because of all the subs joining in front of them. But I guess this fixes itself when enough people have quit so you cant even fill one server so there's never a queue.
  8. maximus

I've never really had any of those problems so I cant really say anything about them played since alpha lvl67 i think atm. Sony might have a problem with your server or something I haven't first guess. What your saying is only problem I see, you play on a low pop server and enjoy 20 vs 20 battles. What i enjoy on my sever is the 200vs200vs200 battle the chaos is amazing when you see 30-50 maxs and few medic and engis crashing your base. This is why I play the game and honestly the scale at witch pvp you would enjoy more would be battlefield or COD.

But you mention is good if there goal is small scale pvp.
  9. gigastar

So what in your idea is going to happen to not completely **** over outfits?

But worry not, for I have my own solution.

[IMG]

Its certainly alot easier to implement.
  10. maximus

Yep the free to play player will have to wait in Q. Or this may be asking to much, support the game and sub to PS2. Honestly I would rather have full server and few free to play players in the over server.
    • Up x 1
  11. DeadliestMoon

12. KAHR-Alpha

I look forward to seeing waiting queues... oh wait, I don't.

I'd rather quit the game, and I say that after spending several hundreds of $ on this, but not on the silly subscriptions.

So, nope.
  13. THUGGERNAUT

F2P players are your content. less F2P players = less content for subscribers. and 99% aren't going to be persuaded to subscribe when they see massive queues. they are going to say to themselves: "**** this" and go find something else more fun to do.
  14. Jeslis

I like OP idea.
  15. Chipay

Yeah pretty much, if I can't play with my outfit when i log in, then there's no reason for me to play anymore and i might just as well quit the game and join BF4 where i don't have to wait in queue's for hours to finally have some fun.
  16. Chipay

So what you're saying is: make one giant server with horrible ping and then turn this game into a subscription pay to play game.
    Yeah... best idea in the world.
  17. Phyr

The overflow servers in GW2 are a pain in the *** if you're trying to coordinate large groups of people. I rarely join squads, so it would be fine for me, but outfits would ***** to high heaven about it.