When is performance going back up?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Octiceps, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Octiceps

I've heard rumblings on here of one of the recent updates breaking performance for multi-GPU users and I am definitely one of those affected. I'm playing on a (gaming) laptop and the specs are in my sig. I play at mostly Medium settings with Ultra textures and get around 60 FPS at the Warp Gate, 40-50 FPS in small- to medium-sized battles, and as low as 30 FPS in large battles. Well, at least that's what I got when I played a few weeks ago. I logged in for the first time yesterday, downloaded about 44 MB worth of updates, and now the game is completely unplayable. I'm getting about half the FPS I was getting before, across the board, plus a lot of rapid spikes between 30-60 FPS which makes the game really stuttery like it's speeding up and slowing down.

Disabling SLI is not really an option for me because these are much-weaker laptop GPU's we're talking here and I absolutely need the extra GPU power to play with a competitive frame rate. It's not like I have SLI Titans where disabling one isn't that big of a deal and would mean I would only be getting 60 FPS instead of 120 FPS. I don't want to make the game look like poop by turning the video settings any lower than they already are and still have to suffer through lower, albeit more consistent, FPS, because that's what will happen if I play on just one GPU. The image quality and performance I was getting before were already borderline-acceptable for me but these updates just completely dropped the ball. I was hoping for performance increases over time as the developers optimize this game more, not huge decreases.

So my question is, does anyone here know a date or time frame for when the game-breaking performance issues will be fixed? I don't follow any of the SOE employees on Reddit or Twitter or keep up on these forums so any information of this nature would've eluded me. Thanks for reading and I'm sure I'm not alone in my disappointment and frustration regarding this game and the recent updates.
    • Up x 1
  2. Paulus

Not seen anything with dates, all I know is its been given top priority. In the meantime I encourage you to make any necessary adjustments to your setup to make the game playable, or check back in a months time.
  3. commandotimmy

I was having major FPS issues after the last GU, and even after the little mini patches. I have since upgraded my Nvidia driver to the new Beta ver. 326.80. I am getting way better FPS for the most part, ( 90-100 Warp Gate /60-70 elsewhere/ 30-40 in very large battles) but still drops during large battles as always. not sure if it will help anyone else, but worth a shot.
  4. applepienation

inb4 the patch after the optimization one makes the game worse then ever.
  5. Octiceps

I sure hope so. They better have huge teams working around-the-clock to get these performance issues sorted out. ;) I can understand regressions sneaking in throughout the update cycle of an MMO but when you break something this badly for so many people at least get the fix out ASAP. It wasn't this way before the update and I don't understand it why it's taking a week and counting for devs to figure out whatever they did to break it and get it back to the way it was.

I don't always have a lot of time to game, especially with this title, and I'd like to be able to actually enjoy it with my friends during the little time I can instead of having to put up with all these problems.
    I am already on 326.80. Driver updates have never given me a significant performance boost in this game but one of the game updates a few months ago did, giving me not only a little more FPS but also making everything much smoother across the board. Unfortunately, the recent updates have destroyed that and more.
    • Up x 1
  6. Octiceps

YES THANK YOU DEVS!!! Launched PS2 today, downloaded 353MB worth of patch, and now game is butter smooth again, perhaps even better than before. I was in the biggest Zerg of my life on Indar today, easily over a hundred infantry, tanks, and aircraft at a small base and did not drop below 30 FPS. CPU utilization seems to be better than it's ever been and I was monitoring during the entire Zerg. CPU load was spread out better and not just bunched up on one or two threads, although my GPU usage was still appallingly low, like 30-40%.
  7. Hatamoto

If they had bothered with adding a custom HUD your fps probably wouldnt drop below 40 fps .. still amazed that isnt in yet
  8. Octiceps

Yeah some developers nowadays seem to be really keen on having a 3D UI at the expense of performance. BF3 has the same issue and the UI definitely causes some performance loss. I don't mind a traditional 2D HUD and menu at all, especially if it gives me more FPS.
    • Up x 1
  9. presidio

Glad it is working for you now but most people are still having problems to the point where he game is unplayable.
  10. Octiceps

Sorry to hear that :(. Besides the performance issues, this game just seems really buggy in general. I have a lot of relatively minor issues, but at least the game is playable.
  11. Hatamoto

Amerish runs like garbage compared to indar, especially near amp stations
  12. IamDH

I highly doubt optimizing a game is something that can be done overnight so my answer is:

Not anytime soon
  13. Octiceps

Thread is solved.