Typing in the HUD chat instead of running/strafing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by faykid, Aug 25, 2013.

1. faykid

I already posted in the bug section, but no answer there.

The problem is: sometimes, when somebody texted me in the game chat, or when i texted somebody, the HUD chat activates when i least need it.

For example, i run into an enemy. I start shooting, strafing, but instead i suddenly start typing "aaaadddaawwwwwaaaa" in the HUD chat while my character is not moving. It killed me more times than you can imagine, it's really annoying.

I was hoping to find a setting disabling the HUD chat, but i can only disable the HUD entirely - which is not an option for obvious reasons.

Please, help!
  2. Stefan1978GER

We have Active Chat after Mapscreen, also on skydrop or Squaddeploy. It is very very often after Respawn. All player have this since 1 Week.
  3. Ripshaft

This should really be in the bugs section, but it's not... I've never heard of the chat stealing focus mid battle, are you sure you're not talking about when you die while typing or in alt/mouse mode and it persists after respawn?
  4. BlackDove

Yeah, this happens to me too. The in game chat, like the voice chat, sucks big time.
  5. Cryless

same here. I hope this gets fixed soon :)
  6. faykid

No, it activates randomly while i'm playing, but it never happens if i texted nobody and received no personal texts during the current session

every time it happens, i have to restart the game :'(
  7. faykid

yeah, i notice how the chat appears after those actions, but it is not necessarily when this bug happens. once it started happening, it happens every time any message appears in that chat (e.g. i need ammo, etc)
  8. Ripshaft

Hmmm that is very odd.

And that makes it even more odd.... This one has me pretty much stumped... I just cant see this being possible under any circumstances....

Are you 100% sure it happens every time there's any message? And is it instant? does it happen sometimes when nobody sends a message?
  9. faykid

i read a bit about the keys that activate the chat, and it appears that you can respond to a message while playing by pressing ENTER or \ buttons. the "\" button is right under the "a" button, so now that i think about it, it could be the reason...

if it is, if i do press \ accidently while strafing (adadad), then i hope there is a way to rebind the key

i think as it is now, you cannot remap the key, you can just add another key. for example, if i bind a new chat response activation button, it will activate the chat response, but so will the old button. i mean, the new key binding can only be set as an alternative, but the old key will still do what it does by default.

like, if i set ~ instead of \, then both ~ and \ will activate the chat response. which is bad, since it won't fix anything
  10. NovaAustralis

The latest chat box bug for me is it keeps switching to 'squad' or 'platoon' and not 'general'.
    So when I type in /re, /yell or /say I don't see any text appear.

I have to press Crtl+Tab to get it back to 'general' again.
    No idea why it does this.