Strikers and the numbers.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Larolyn, Aug 22, 2013.

1. CrashB111

A squad of lancer users can instantly kill enemy armor from outside the beams render range and without the courtesy of a lock on warning. Thankfully the VS hordes seem unable to point a laser beam so TR and NC still get to pull vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  2. Vixxing

Well given its a lockon and do more than 2* the damage of the annihilator and how hard it is to hit air with a decimator that point is moot no?
  3. HellasVagabond

The TR have the best of Everything based on in-game stats (kills/xp), suck it up and deal with it. We haven't been able to fix that since release cause the devs don't care, we will not fix it now, period.

PS : In-Game stats can't be refused. That some people choose to do so is cause they feel that one day they may wake up and their farming machines may actually be on par with those of the other 2 empires. However like i explained that's not going to happen so relax.
  4. Vixxing

Well random striker-users dispersed around the map that dosent even know each other makes effective Striker teams... (first random lock-on= no flare left 2nd and 3d lock dead or fleeing)
    So tell me again how 10 man well coordinated Lancer teams is gamebreaking... (compared to random poo-flinging Striker users making TR a no-fly zone)
    • Up x 3
  5. Dvine

Except: Without the pathing "error" (not fixed since cca 6 months) the Striker is doing 125% of the Decimator's unguided, 50m/s slow, huge punch, 400m max range damage. All that while it has 100m/sec speed and the max range is 800m with 2,25 seconds of lock on time (best amongst all lockons). Basically the striker is the culmination of Annihilator flexibility,G2A & G2G specialized launcher range and speed and more damage than the Decimator with no downsides. I'm sure you understand how this is completely and utterly NOT balanced and should never have been put ingame.

Shortest lockon time,best damage,best versatility, no downside.
    • Up x 1
  6. illgot

It is not the striker, it is the fact that all TR players are just better pilots in every vehicle they touch.
    • Up x 4
  7. Vixxing

Well ONE LA with C4 can have the same effect (no warning instant kill) and a few enginers with AV turrets achive same result but with higher damage and unlimited ammo...
  8. MrK

Because otherwise, people would have cried.

PS2 since the beginning as been designed to avoid people making any effort. It rewards the least effort (in FPS terms) for the maximum effect. If you chose a difficult path, you will not be rewarded with better result.

So people would not have understood what's the point of releasing a weapon with disadvantages. Look at how VS consider their Lancer (and NC their Penix, for that matter)
  9. MrK

LA : And a range of.... how many meters, remind me?
    AV Turrets : are OP too, granted. I can only counter with flight time :)
  10. Dvine

Or they could umm you know.. just revert it to the code of every other rocket launcher in the game!???
    • Up x 1
  11. Aegie

And everyone has access to LA and C4... could be why that is balanced.
    • Up x 1
  12. Nolenag

Look up LMGs.

It has to be better than the Annihilator. The devs seem to have lost all inspiration when designing the TR so we get NS 2.0 weapons. They're better than the NS variants to make up for the lack of unique weaponry.
  13. HellasVagabond

So in a number of stats spanning at least 50 vehicles and weapons your reply is to look at LMGs which are perhaps 5 ? Yeah that makes sense :)
    • Up x 2
  14. Van Dax

Ok to correct a few misconceptions flying around here.
    1) The lancer v the striker.

the lancer is an effective tool, it is not an everyman weapon. The lancer requires you to stay outside the fight at a high elevation. The lancer also requires you to bring friends, theoretically you need around 6+ lancers, a medic or two, an engie, and a burster max or some other air cover. It also requires that the enemy use a large number of vehicles to assault a place where vehicles, strategically speaking, should not be used. A tank rush from Indar excavation to quartz ridge is a horrible idea even if the lancer didn't exist. Furthermore most vanu realize how the lancer works and that an av mana turret will do double the damage and perform the same role.

The striker can be used in a squad setup like the lancer, it doesn't require any air cover though but has a lower max range. Since the projectiles will follow targets less coordination is required, if one lancer fires too early the vehicle may retreat and depending on the situation may escape. The striker can be shot at will as the projectiles are mostly fire and forget, there is also no way to tell ho many strikers there are so it can be effective to just lock on to all the enemy vehicles and scare them away. However unlike the lancer the striker can be effective solo, the lock-on time is similar if not short to a lancers charge up time and a striker as with any lock-on can deter enemy air effectively in any situation.

The problem is that due to the strikers multi projectile system combined with latency has a chance to ignore enemy flares. The striker can three to four projectiles immediately after losing the lock, these non locked missiles will just go straight for a set period of time. The flaw here is that the last few projectiles can reacquire a lock after the flares wear off and so there is a potential that even after popping flares and moving out of the area you can still be hit with a partial amount of the first salvo. Striker users complaining that half their projectiles miss for no reason and pilots and drivers complaining that strikers ignore flares and smoke is actually two sides of the problem, striker user doesn't see that flares are popped and just assumes he got ****** tracking when the opposite occurred, flares were popped and the strikers superior tracking pulled through.

2) Those stats
    a 125 hour sample size showed TR liberators scoring at 150% the kpu of its opposition, He can do an even larger test and it'll turn out the same way.

KPU as a metric is quite different than k/d or avg kills/hour, for infantry weapons it serves more as a versatility and popularity contest. Essentially it works like this: TR bob has his TMG-50 all ****** out and he gets into a base fight, TR bob is a smart guy and he knows that the TMG is a longer range gun so he gets 10 kills at range and when he needs to move in closer to the base he switches to his shotgun. TR bob gets 10 kills with his shotgun in close and decides to call it a day. He has achieved a KPU of 10 on each of those weapons. VS paul is has a certed out polaris. He takes the polaris to the same fight. The polaris is basically an accurate but horrible dps carv, so he gets 7 kills before entering the base and because its a versatile weapon he brings it inside to get another 8 kills. He has achieved a KPU of 15 for the polaris. Basically it just shows which guns people carry the most and which empires choose to specialize in their weaponry. Interesting but you need more than just this to make a balancing argument (but for those interested VS lmgs excluding the pulsar and orion have the highest an TR ARs and carbines are the highest, NC have the highest on the max(see what i mean not all that usefull as most people can agree the nc max isn't that great))

In the case of vehicles we'll talk about the lib because it is the same for all factions. Logically each faction is going to use the lib the same way so it isn't much a measure of versatility, it is instead popularity. Popularity will be defined as how often they are used and how long they survive. The data indicates that TR libs live longer than their counterparts which allow them to use them more. Their could be many causes of this but wht it boils down to is that VS/NC are missing something the TR has that is really good at taking down liberators. It isn't the prowler, the vanguard could do it just as well if not better. It isn't the vulcan they just fixed that. Tr use less sky guards not more so it isn't that. Is it the mosquito? pro pilots say no. It must be the striker. You can use the same line of reasoning for all the other vehicles and it'll always be the same. The striker is inhibiting the vehicle play of the other factions above what it is intended.
    • Up x 7
  15. Goretzu

They can't see the wood for the trees, or anything for the Striker spam perhaps. :)

Actually I dunno how SOE really intend to balance anything, because the Striker is such a force multiplier it effects almost everything.
  16. Aegie

So basically, because TR is not leading in LMGs and lacks uniqueness it is okay for them to be OP...

How can you not think TR is OP if you believe they get NS 2.0 weapons? The NS weapons are specifically designed to be well rounded and balanced.
    • Up x 1
  17. Nolenag

This game doesn't have that many faction-specific vehicles.

Besides, infantry combat is more important anyway as it relies on twitch skill more. Close range LMGs with 0.75xADS movement speed will outperform, what are supposed to be, close range LMGs without 0.75xADS movement speed.

Also, Claymores are ****.

I'm not saying we're supposed to be leading that.
  18. Cinnamon

I'm saying that this is cherry picking numbers to say that striker is having a big effect on the game. And alongside that, saying that more generic TR vehicles and weapons performing with no great difference to others doesn't prove anything is bad statistics.

Striker could be the best performing lockon and still not have any large affect on the game if other AV are also adequate in taking down vehicles.

Maybe it would be interesting to try to work out why TR rocket pods are apparently out performing the others I don't know. But nothing here is really convincing.

If, and big if, the overall effect of Striker is that it stops a certain amount of rocket podding without affecting the game too much in other ways then most infantry players would say that they would prefer other AV to be buffed to reduce rocket podding even more.
  19. Cromell

Actually, I've seen many times how my Grounder RL clips through terrain, just like the Striker. And Grounder is easier against Aircraft, cause you only need to fire one rocket to deal full damage. IS GROUNDER OP NOW?! Fact is, they needed to rework the code. Yay for them.

I don't like the striker. It doesn't have a dumbfire mode (perhaps for the better) but it makes it a lot less useful. I don't like the need to fire several rockets, it looks cool as hell when a team of strikers is sitting on a hill spitting a real rain of rockets, but other than that, MEH. I also find flak weapons to be a lot more satisfying in use.
    • Up x 1
  20. Vixxing

well annihilator 1200 damage striker 2500? dedicated lock-ons do 1500 ffs why should it outperform dedicated launchers? Nerf damage to 1500 you still get 2 dedicated to price of 1...
    • Up x 1