How many levels/certs into NW to negate a headshot?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Admiralty, Aug 18, 2013.

1. VanuSovereignty

Yes, it does negate a weapon class. The entire point of bolt actions in this game are to get single shot kills. Higher levels of nanoweave limit the headshot range of high-damage bolt actions by a VERY large amount.
    • Up x 1
  2. VanuSovereignty

3. mina5

nano armor is same as flak . peoples complaining it they can't one shot some one anymore :D

one + for that
  4. Vaphell

Flak works only against the secondary splash, it gives you +0% survivability against direct hit (instagib), unlike NW vs bullets
    In other words explosive spamming has 2 advantages over sniping: unconditional instagib on bodyshots and consolation prize in the form of secondary splash on near miss which means more generous error margins.

do flares and smoke cancel aimed shots of dumbfires and lancers? That is a more relevant comparison when you talk about landing aimed headshots. The things you mention prevent borderline no-skill automagical hits which is not the case in sniping. The day snipers start shooting lock-on rounds you will have a point.
  5. UberBonisseur

You want the real issue with Nanoweave ?

Here it is:
    [IMG]

Increasing the TTK by 25% enlarges your reaction time window.
    The target will most likely move before it dies; making you miss bullets. If the target is a Heavy, he will activate NMG, wasting even more bullet.

Sure, you will kill the guy.
    But you'll find yourself with an empty magazine, pants down, while his medic buddy just pokes his corpse with a medtool.

The success of infiltrators (Sniper or SMG) depends entirely of your ability to kill the target BEFORE IT REACTS.
    If the target knows it's being shot, you're ******.
    • Up x 4
  6. Sossen

Here's a solution. Grab that long range sniper rifle and get within 70 meters. Suddenly, OHKs.

Oh wait you wanted to sit at maximum render distance and get cheap kills? You're not fooling anyone, it's not an incredible feat of skill to hit someone at that range seeing as how the max render distance is around 300 meters and your bullet travels at 650 m/s. All you need is for someone to stop for a second to kill him. And you think that this game, which focuses on teamwork and the capture of objectives, is going to let you lone wolf around, completely independent, and OHK people whilst giving no though to the objectives?

Give me a break.
    • Up x 1
  7. Flashtirade

You do realize that 70m is well within retaliation range, right? I don't snipe very often, but I do send a few rounds down range to people who are after my head, and it works well. Even if I don't hit, my friendlies are more likely to be wary of a certain location because I was shooting at it.

And also your argument is silly, 300m at 650m/s is still about a half-second of travel time, which is massive on any kind of moving target, not to mention the fact that enemies are literally pixels at that range.
    • Up x 2
  8. Vaphell

so your solution for inf problem is to either farm 1000c for the beefiest rifle possible (or farm 1000c for SMG and forget sniping) and that's on top of probably the most expensive class specific cert lines? BR1 with a craptastic cloak and entry level boomstick has to be within 50m from fully decked out NW5 HAs with LMGs working up to 100m in ADS full auto no problem to be able to kill?
    That also means there is simply no room for suppressor because already tight ohk thresholds get reduced to nothing.
    summary: 3 out of 4 BASR rifles are junk and there are no viable weapon mods.

Recently i watched some random HA clip on youtube by accident and it made me sad - without any problem he mowed down guys running like headless chickens at ranges where even Longshot would cream its pants after all the aiming hassle (sway, moving target, fishing for HS).
    • Up x 2
  9. DeadliestMoon

Getting OHK from a guy 300+ meters away shouldn't happen either, hence nanoweave.
  10. Izriul

The top tier BA's will 1 shot no matter what level of nanoweave, it just decreases the distance at which this is achievable. For example, you need to be below 75m with the parallax to OHK someone with NW5.
  11. KAHR-Alpha

And what exactly makes you think people shouldn't have the right to retaliate?

Risk vs reward and stuff.

PS: if you get shot in the head by a BASR and survive, you're pretty much a moving corpse and anything can kill you.
  12. UberBonisseur

>Sniping at maximum distance
    >cheap kills

Wut.
    • Up x 2
  13. Sossen

See, here's the thing. You don't have to be that close to kill someone. You just have to be that close to get OHKs. I hardly think that OHKs are the only way to kill people, do you? You just have to make sure that either you or someone else - as in another infiltrator - gets that second shot in.

Do you think that an entry level BR1 with a craptastic cloak and entry level boomstick is supposed to beat a BR50 HA with nothing but a headshot at 300 meters? With no risk of retaliation? There are games where sniping is deadly. Just play BF3 or similar games if you want to get OHKs. This game is about teamwork, not realism. If infiltrators didn't need any help in order to kill 30 enemies in a row with no risk of retaliation - with enough skill, that is - do you think that's fair, considering that no other class is as independent?

I do realize that 70m is well within retaliation range. The guy you shot is dead. If you can't get away from the other retaliators with the help of your cloak and darts, then maybe you shouldn't have taken that shot, or even played infiltrator for that matter. As for 300m being very far. It would be quite possible to get 1000 meter headshots if the render range allowed it. I know this because BF3 has almost exactly the same gun mechanics and 200-300 meter headshots are normal when sniping in that game. If someone stands still for just a second and you're a decent sniper, then you have a fair chance of scoring a headshot at that range. With no risk of retaliation and if headshots were OHKs this would be gamebreaking.
  14. Flashtirade

The whole point of sniping is to take out enemies from a distance they can't easily respond to. Easily is the key word here. If they have to work at a range where I can thwart their efforts by single-shotting an AR or LMG, that's a whole lot of risk for not a whole lot of reward.

I don't want 1000m instakills either, however it suits a game like BF3 that tries to be realistic.
    In PS2, I'd rather the max OHK range be at like 150-200, with NW5 negating this.
  15. KAHR-Alpha

This is not Sniper Elite, this is PS2, and here the point of snipers is obviously not to be headshot masters (or they'd have make BASR headshots bypass everything) but to deal powerful blows to enemies so that your squadmates can finish them off quickly.
    OHK headshots are just opportunistic shots, they're not the whole point of the BASR.
  16. Flashtirade

But the semi-autos are better for that, and they're garbage (except for the VS's because no drop). The reason the BASRs are in the game are so that snipers can kill, not just plink for assists.
  17. yama

Don't worry dear bushwookies, SOE will soon release a set of sniper rifles that will punch through nanoweave.
    For the bargain price of $10 a pop.
    • Up x 3
  18. KAHR-Alpha

First, short range semi-autos are excellent. And second, go for quick body shots instead of slow headshots with your BASR, not only will you kill just as much, you'll also be more effective and helpful to your team.
  19. Duvenel

WHAT'S THE RENDER RANGE FOR INFANTRY AGAIN?...
  20. vanu123

Infiltrators should maybe play more aggressive recon because you can never completely stop the 1 shot as long as you are within x amount of meters.