Enabling AA in planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by W0rthy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. W0rthy

I was wondering what luck you guys have with enabling Anti Aliasing in planetside 2, is there a way to check if it is enabled or not? the "jaggies" of trees and objects in general are really hard on the eyes.

The only luck i have had with actually getting AA to work so far is increasing the render quality to 1.21 or 1.41. The 1.41 gives me a massive performance loss though and makes the mouse movements lag quite a bit. And there is no ingame option that tells you what amount of AA you are getting so it's a bit dodgy.

I would like to force it via the nvidia control panel, but the game seems to ignore the nvidia settings. The reason for that is because i would like to dedicate one card to anti aliasing which you can if you have two cards, it's an SLI option, and obviously you could then have very high Anti Aliasing without your performance suffering too much.

I do need a way to figure out if the game actually uses the anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering i set in the nvidia control panel, or if it flat out ignores it. At the moment it seems like it just flat out ignores it.

So give me some feedback guys. Thanks in advance!
  2. IamDH

Get a burster MAX
    Don't know, sorry
    • Up x 2
  3. W0rthy

Yeah doh, sorry about that title.
  4. Loegi

Apparently it always has some form of AA. One that just blurs everything I think. This is apparently build into the rendering thread in a way that makes it impossible to disable without breaking stuff.

I guess this is also what makes it pretty difficult to use another AA, like with the nvidea control panel.

Only way I know of is the render quality that you already said. Which is just supersampling, which is very heavy and inefficient.
  5. bogroll

SweetFX! Please allow us to use this.
  6. Exoz

I know w0rthy it doesn't work no matter what you do, I've tried forcing it as well with no luck no matter what, just the render quality workaround. Seems the game has fxaa enabled on medium/high "graphics quality" setting that changes shaders and everything, but its just horrible for visibility, if you want a crisp and clear image you need that setting on low.

There's a lot of eyecandy on high and the antialiasing isnt such a problem anymore because of the filter that blurrs things more but its not optimal for gaming.

I'm afraid you're stuck until the devs give us more visual customization for shaders and AA in game, and I'm pretty sure this isn't anywhere on their priority list so it might even take years ;|.
  7. Gunho

During the beta we could disable the current blurr AA that PS2 has. It was simply removing a bit of text in a config file to disable the filter. They disabled the config for editing so now we are stuck with blurr AA. It really wouldn't be that hard for some dev to code sumething that removes that bit of text so we can enable our own AA in full glory.

But then again, we are dealing with SOE here... Some wheels turn really slow... I'm still waiting for a F******* Striker/Vulcan nerf.....
  8. Tekuila

You're going to be waiting a long time on that one... probably forever.
  9. gigastar

As far as i can tell, its always on and can be adjusted using the "render quality" slider in the graphics menu.