Why do i get such bad fps on my gaming rig?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by XIronWolfX, Aug 16, 2013.

1. XIronWolfX

In the warpgate i get around 80fps solid on ultra settings, but as soon as a hit instant action, or go to a skirmish at an amp station, my fps drop to 15-20! sometimes as a low as 11 or 13, i don't think my rig is at all bad, but apparently this game says otherwise

AMD FX-4170 Bulldozer 4.2-4.4 Ghz Quad-Core Turbo Clocked Processor
    16GB - 1333Mhz RAM
    Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB
    Antec Truepower 750w Bronze Certified PSU
    Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 CPU Cooler
    Windows 8 64-bit

I understand that Planetside has issues with AMD's but i've seen lower grade AMD Processors run this game at 30-40FPS in huge battles, am i doing something wrong?
  2. HooWoo

Your CPU can't handle all the processes going on at the same time.
  3. Mastachief

What ingame settings are you using?

Whilst your CPU is pretty weak for a game like this it should still be performing better than what you've indicated.

When you play what displays next to the indicated fps is it CPU or GPU, your 580 should be more than capable.
  4. XIronWolfX

Unhelpful, i've seen a 3.0Ghz Dual Core AMD processor run this game on solid 40fps where i get 12, really not what i was looking for
  5. XIronWolfX

I'm running on Ultra apart from shadows and Particle quality which are both on medium, i do this because i've heared shadows and particle quality both impact CPU in someway
  6. Mastachief

I would pull it back from ultra to high, turn off shadows.
  7. Cryless

from what I know, particles don't affect the performance. I could be wrong, but that's what I know.
  8. XIronWolfX

I've tried running it on Low, i get an extra like 2fps, The GTX 580 is overkill on this game xD i see a fluctuation of 2fps from lowest to ultra with physx on max, i'm pretty sure it's my CPU but idk WHY, an answer why would be nice, i don't think i have a bad CPU :c, i take that back, it's not overkill, nothing is overkill.
  9. TheAppl3

Funny, that's stock high-end i5 performance. I doubt it. Also, those "low end" chips were what, Phenom IIs? Those actually have higher per-core performance which matters very much for this game.

The two module / four core FX chips were always subpar in my view and the entire Bulldozer line more or less sucks compared to its peers.

Turn shadows/particles/voice channels/render distance down.
  10. XIronWolfX

^This is helpful, to be honest, i was actually thinking of buying a new CPU, Purely because i do a lot of rendering as i do a lot of graphic design and video editing, i believe Intel have some nice CPU's for that, with awesome hyper-threading and what-not :p, can anyone suggest a CPU? (Obviously i want it to play Planetside too :p)
  11. Paulus

Not used it for HD rendering, but my i5 3570K plays PS2 reasonably well. If you're looking to run 3D rendering software as well, then I can only recommend the i7. I'd try and avoid the Haswell series if you intend to overclock, Ivy bridge might be the previous generation, but they are less susceptible to hotspots. AMD have some catching up to do when it comes to playing PS2, they just can't live with the high single core demands, and whilst the i5 and i7 aren't really being used to their optimal potential, they mask the issue much better than the current AMD CPU do.

TLDR: if you're gaming, buy i5, if you are going to use things that make use of the Hyper Threading tech then get an i7.
  12. Mastachief

4670k and a £15 heatsink/fan if you have the money to burn you can always go i7 but you will not notice the difference right now in planetside2 between i5/i7 but if you really do a lot of rendering then the i7 could be the call.

Overclocking is key. The sandybridge and ivy are better clockers but older.
  13. Valiant Outcast

I am running a I7-3770K, 16Gb of ram, a 240Gb ssd, and two Gtx 560's in SLI.
    I have the setting on ultra, with everything turned on and my render distance extended to 6,000. I was at an Tech Plant that had several hundred players (the count said seven hundred but that seemed off) and was still getting over 30FPS, and it never took more than 30% of my CPU to run.
  14. haldolium

Standard particle systems always eat CPU power in games.
  15. teks

I use the trinity A-10 with its built in graphics.

FPS never drops below 30, and I'm GPU locked not CPU.

Turn off shadows!!

I think thats the only real big thing I had to do.
  16. TheAppl3

If you're serious about rendering/encoding/so on, one of the hex-core i7s (i7-3930k in particular) is pretty much perfect. It's expensive though at $570 for just the chip and socket 2011 motherboards aren't cheap.

An i7-3770k or 4770k is also built for those tasks and they run significantly cheaper at $300-330 or so. If you have a Microcenter nearby they sell them for much less.

If you don't want to spend much, just get an FX-8350 for about $180. It should work with your current motherboard assuming the board supports 125W chips. It won't run PS2 all that much better, though. Intel i5/i7 setups are the ideal for this game.

Bottom line: The Intel chips will render faster in most situations, they just cost significantly more. They will perform better in PS2.
  17. BlackDove

Exactly what I was thinking. That two core per module architecture baffles me.

As far as particles, GPU particles will crash you with PhysX most likely.