PS4 version - no 'true' cross platform fun - twitch vid from SOE Live

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Madly, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Madly

I just wanted to say... VERY disappointed that the PC crew wont get the opportunity to wreak the turbo-thumbs from the PS4 console crowd. They threw us for a loop saying that it would be cross-platform (by which they only meant the Vita...).

The rest of the info was decent (excited about the Infiltrator drones that were mentioned). Lots of info on other upcoming features.

See below link for full spectacle (I say spectacle only because of their PowerPoint problems... ;)).

2. VesperInTheDark

Oh my god, HOW DO COMPUTER!?
    • Up x 1
  3. St NickelStew

From Day 1 SOE have been very clear that PC and PS4 players would *not* be playing on the same servers.
    • Up x 5
  4. Van Dax

QFT.

also all it took was some common sense, or in this case a little historical gaming knowledge PC+Console never works out.
    • Up x 1
  5. TheBlindFreak

I don't ever remember them hinting that it would be cross platform from pc to ps4. I do remember them saying that it would not be cross platform because GU development for the PC would be separate from the ps4. So keeping them in sync would be a pain.
  6. TeknoBug

I don't think that was part of the discussion, I think what he meant is that both PC and PS4 platforms won't be developed by the same group, different patch and MOST LIKELY different optimizations.
  7. St NickelStew

Per SOE, it is the same game, and technically could be played by both groups on the same servers. Certainly will optimized differently (a little easier on PS4 because every one is the same), and the UI will be different to accomodate controllers. The reason given for not having all players on the same servers is because the patch schedules will not be the same -- SOE didn't feel it would be best to constrain the PC version by Sony's process for console updates.
  8. Midnightmare

Not that i wanna break your world......But thats most likely never ever gonna happen for any game or any console ever.

There are many many many reasons for this.
    The most obivious one right away would be the overall better hardware in PC's this will always give an advantage even if a PS4 user is using a keyboard and mouse.

its called FPS , resolution, anti aliasing, x64 CPU vs the old x86 in the new consoles ect ect ect.
    So unless intel desides to make a consol i dont think it EVER gonna happen.
  9. Blazini

shadow run worked
  10. Midnightmare

hah yea PC users got a ******** console port that almost gave the disadvantage to the PC :p

And the Xbox had aim help :p

And lets not forget the Xbox at the time was acturlly developed with cross platform in mind.
    And MS for some reason closed that option after shadow run

Sony wont have the same ease since they didten develop the number one OS of the world.
    And i really really doubt that MS will send a freindly programmer to help them out :p

Finally shadowrun the boardgame plaussible had better grafics :p
  11. Midnightmare

Finally i guess the newst generation of consoles are getting closer since they are just medicore PC's with some very dumbed down OS capabilities.

Just Microsoft probably already closer to that goal simply cuz of windows.

ask Soe to develop more for Linux :D
  12. Elbryan

On another topic! :cool:

If a console using keyboard+mouse as it's main controllers was released, would you play games on it instead of PC?

I think I might.
  13. Phrygen

you realize the PC players would absolutely dominate the PS4 playes, and then all the PS4 players would shout "zmergerd cash grab we have to buy keyboard/mouse"
  14. Izriul

Really? ANY game?

That's just wrong. FFXi worked just fine, which was out far longer on the PC than the consoles.
  15. Midnightmare

Didten know about that one!

Good on square!
    Was it any good? Did it have a pvp? never really got in to the regular MMORPGs.
    Well....eve online but not sure thats a regular mmorpg :p

But to be fair it should be possible for all MMORPG's I guess since they are rarely a grafical challenge on any system.
    Most of them should run in a browser one would think!
  16. SgtScum

That's because ms can't control the pc side of gaming but can put an iron clad lock down on anyone using their console.

It also set them up to put an always on, always online and always watching and listening to literally everything you do in the room of every sucker they can dupe into buying into its drm filled xbox1.
  17. Midnightmare

Cant argue there!

But i cant help to wonder how Sony tracks down hacked units o_O Sad truth is today almost every device with internet connectivity tries to spy on you one way or another

Only diffrence is on a PC you do a netstat and find out and lock them out with ease.

on that account some network monitor tools for a hacked playstation might be interestning :p

Heres the hacker comm from the past ;)

http://pastie.org/private/97oth9v5tspkiztwwdmnga

*Sony monitors all messages over PSN.

*All connected devices return values sent to Sony server returns TV, Firmware version, Firmware type, Console model

*They also collects data in your USB attached device.

*Credit card sent as plain text, example: creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderN ame=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=4558254723658741&cre ditCard.expireYear=2012&creditCard.expireMonth=2&c reditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.addr ess1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&cr editCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.addres s.postalCode=12345%20

*The best part of all, the list is stored online and updated when u login PSN and random.
  18. SgtScum

I assume that no matter how hard I try there are programs on my online enabled pc that are recording my browsing habits and search terms and reading my email etc etc.

This is why I have two pc's one of which never gets connected to the internet that I do anything of a personal nature on like work related stuff or adding another chapter to my diary etc.

Gaming and browsing **** I could care less about someone snooping as that's something everyone does anyways. :p
  19. Midnightmare

CMD > netstat
    will show all active ports on your computer.

Dont like communication with microsoft? close the port its that easy really

Dont trust MS to give right info? use a cisco program :p
  20. Midnightmare

Personally i dont care either i dont own a consol :D
    But i just think it would be silly to think that Sony would be better or worse than MS in this whole spy game.
    Specially when that was sortof the reason Sony was hacked and atleast to some extend lost all this info.

I dont even have a problem with always online DRM :p
    I been on steam for ages :confused: