A question about processors

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ned, Aug 10, 2013.

1. BlackDove

You mean physical cores, not logical.
  2. Masterchief1111

My apologies, and thanks for the correction.

if you could enlighten me on a topic that im curious about, Well more just lacking a bit of understanding. I know thats its never good to have your hard drives filled to their capacity. ( or is it okay ???) my gaming mate has 6 160 gigs running in raid format. Thing is they are reaching their limit. he is busy currently putting together a new rig. But the current rig will still be used . Out of the 890 Gigs there is about 22 gigs left. i know is simple as getting more drives. But what i mean is currently with the drives nearing capacity and so on, Would that be enough to effect day to day performance??? and if so to what extent ??? just so im aware for future builds to keep drive to the emptiest they can be.

do you have any info or understanding on Windows 8 ??? in regards to compatibility and stability for current game titles and software that it needs for it to function correctly with certain hardware that was designed for windows 7 compatibility. ??? random questions i know. but wont know till i ask.

thanks for the replies and assistance with my posts
  3. e_z_a

Hi Masterchief, could you post more info on your overclock please?

I'm currently running my old faithful Q9550 at 3.7GHz, and would like to take it up to 4GHz and maybe beyond that if possible.
    When I first got the CPU I put it in a DFI Lanparty JR mATX motherboard and could only get it up to 3.4GHz stable for 24/7 use.

Last year, while trying to push the overclock a bit higher I made something on the motherboard go 'pop' and emit a bit of smoke. Luckily I was able to find an ASUS Maximus II Formula in a local shop, and found I was able to get 3.6GHz stable without much problem on the new board.

Unfortunately when my old motherboard died so did a stick of RAM. I was running OCZ reapers: 2x 2GB 1066 and 2x 1GB 1150. Of course it was one of the 2GB sticks that went :-(
    Good DDR2 RAM is so expensive and hard to come by these days that I had to replace it with a stick of standard 800 'value RAM' and lower my FSB:RAM divider so the RAM runs slower than it used to.

Also since building the machine I've upgraded the graphics card - got an ASUS HD 6950 DirectCu II 2GB, which happily unlocks to a 6970, and overclocks rather nicely as well.

So I, like you, am more than happy with my current CPU for most tasks, and quite underwhelmed by Haswell so will wait til next year's CPUs when we'll hopefully get 6- or 8-core desktop processors.

In Planetside 2 I get decent FPS. 60+ at the warpgate, and then down to 20-30 FPS in large battles. Changing graphics settings has little effect in big battles - low,high, or ultra, I get the same FPS - so if I could tweak my overclock to get closer to yours then I could increase my minimum FPS a bit.
  4. Sliced

You should always keep around 15% of your HDD free. This is used for data swapping, RAM to HDD and vice versa.
    You can disable your swap memory (page file) however it's not a god idea to disable it completely. Some programs require the page file to function. Especially Microsoft programs such as MS Office. When you also install some programs they require a page file. So you can lower it to around 1-2Gigs instead of 1-1.5x your ram.
    However you should always make sure it has some free space. So lowering the page file will lower your 15% that you are required to keep free. However when you save a new file, or update PS2 it will not save on the same location. Instead it will find a random free spot on the HDD. So for a small time you will have 2 of the same files taking up space. This can cause a lot of head aches if you don't have enough space.
    Also some programs will not stay in RAM, even if you have plenty of free space. So you need to make sure you have enough HDD space for them as well.

About compatibility with Windows 8. In theory everything compatible with Windows 7 and Vista should work on 8 and I'm guessing they will do the same on 9.
    You can always use compatibility mode in 8 to make the program run as if it's in 7. This doesn't always work though as it's only an emulation of some sort. Or that's how it should be seen.
    Rule of thumb is if it works on Vista and 7 then it should work on 8. Unless if it was specifically made for 8. However for games and mass products like Office, Skype, Chrome and so on you shouldn't run into any problems.
  5. Thelgow

Hey Sliced, what kind of cooling you have on that 2500k? I've got a Hyper 212+ and sitting on 4.2GHz, and not sure if I want to press to 4.5.
  6. TheAppl3

People's opinions vary. It ranges from 10% free space to 30%. I personally go for 20% free space as a target. Everyone can agree that your friend having just 2.4% free space is definitely going to negatively impact performance in a very significant manner.

I've had zero issues so far with games/software on my Win8 laptop. I'm sure there exists plenty of software that does have problems, though. It's normal for a new OS.

An extra 300MHz won't do much for you in my opinion. I'd expect an extra frame or maybe two at best. What's your current FSBxMult (435x8.5?) and voltage? Temps under heavy load/Prime95? That far into an overclock most of it comes down to whether or not you have a lucky chip and a very solid motherboard.

You'd need to crank your FSB up to 530MHz or so assuming I remember the max multiplier of x8.5 properly. That's a major jump and a lot of chips just won't do it without requiring voltages well into the red zone.

A Hyper212 was enough to get my 3770k to 4.2 @ 65C under Prime95. The 2500k overclocks significantly cooler so you should be able to do 4.5 @~70C by my estimate.

Just try it in steps of 100MHz and see what it does.
  7. Masterchief1111

HI man, Thanks for the reply to my question regarding the hard drives. You were able to clarify all my questions on that. Also about the compatibility , shot for that.

Lets see if you can assist with one other problem i am having with a friends computer and running PlanetSide 2 .

The very first day we ever installed it on his PC it run smooth with no issues, Not it seems to run consistently on CPU and gets about 15 to 20 frames in intense combat. Im almost to the point of formatting his PC as im under the impression that it is a windows problem now that's causing it. I could be completely wrong about this. Is there any information you would need regarding his system and operating system to maybe give me some clarification on this matter.

no matter what we turn down , it just does not increase frames it actually gets even more sluggish. when we run it on ultra its more consistent frames at about 15 to 25 max. but then is having an effect in certain areas. what i mean buy that is in certain places it starts to dip to 5 to 8 frames. which is just unplayable.

I have also heard, or should i say i was reading a post regarding low frames. The post said that even other PC's can effect your gameplay and frame rate . Is that correct ????

Thanks for your time and assistance on this matter. Hope all is well and take care.
  8. Masterchief1111

Hey man, My apologies on the late reply, Been away on work. Ill gladly post more information regrading my overclock. I can provide you with my Voltage cores for CPU, North bridge and South bridge chips. as well as my FSB and Multiplier ratio. Also that will include the ratio for Ram to CPU. Its important to have everything set up and configure correctly. Right down to the latency time and timming of the Rams Clock Cycles.

I'v been running this overclock for 2 years strait and not a day's worth of problems. So i do not see why it should not be the same for you. But it does deffer on CPU to CPU. But i can assure you that we can make some progress. Also cooling is vital, I am currently using Corsair H series CPU cooler with coolermaster CM-690 version 2 tower with 5 120mm fans and 3 140mm fans. as well as 1 80mm at the back of the motherboard cooling the CPU socket from behind.

From my point of view its heat that is one of the biggest killers. I am familiar with you motherboard, so i will send you the config specs which will allow you to reach the speeds that you are looking for. Ill include Bios screen shots of the FSB , CPU and Voltage readings so you can have a visual reference. also ill put it all into a word Doc step by step to get a stable overclock on you Quad Core.

If you give me 48 hours ill have that compiled and send it through to you. If you want i can get you my skype details and we can go through it process by process.

Where are you located??? as here in South Africa i can still find high performance DDR 2 Ram modules. (Kingston and Corsair)

So ill be in touch with you in the next 2 days with all the information on it and all the set-up details and screen shots on that for you.
  9. Masterchief1111

Hi again, Thanks for your feedback regarding the Hard Drive. With regards to the CPU overclocking on the q9550, you are correct in saying that the FSB will be up to 530mhz to reach 4.5ghz. I am currently running an FSB of 529mhz. And thats been running stable for 2 years now. not a days problem at all.

I also understand that is also dependent on the revision and the stepping of the CPU if you can reach extreme clock speeds. And i must agree that a solid motherboard and quality power supply is a factor to achieve it.

My voltage cores are a tab bit high. running at 1.420Volts and thats abouve the 1.35+ - that intel says is the v max on this CPU. But i have had this chip runninh at this for 2 years now and not a days hassles. If some how it had to pop, it would be a good run that i had with the CPU.

With prime95 and running for 12 hours and CPU at 100% i hit about 70C with an ambient temperature of 28C in my Study. Its just under the thermal thresh hold that intel states for this CPU. But have to keep the radiator clean from dust build up to keep cooling at optimum. Also i have got a Thermalright North Bridge and South Bridge aftermarket cooling to keep the board in cheak ( temp wise)

with the CPU Clocked to 4.5ghz and having 8 gigs DDR 3 Ram give me a decent score in windows experience index. I know its not much to go by, but currently scoring 8.7 and 8.3 on CPU and RAM. With a respectable 8.0 for graphics and 6.9 on hard drive speed.

Otherwise she runs like a dream i must say.
  10. Gabe Devries

i3 3240 3.4ghz, gtx 660 evga superclocked (in a pcie 3.0 slot) , 4gb 1600 ram, how would this do in a battle
  11. TheAppl3

Decently but not incredible. Passable frame rates with shadows/particles/render distance all low. Everything else can be high/ultra.

Probably not enough RAM to avoid intermittent crashes.
  12. TeknoBug

Need more ram, the rest are fine.
  13. Sliced

I have a custom water loop to keep it tame.
  14. Sliced

How long has he been running PS2? and is he the one with the low disk space?
    What are hes system specs?
    I believe if the server has a high load of people in the Hex then yes it can effect your FPS. You will have to wait for the server to process what ever it is doing before it gives you your information to process.
    However it shouldn't effect you too much. You should be able to tell the difference between server lag and your own lag.
  15. NC_agent00kevin

I run a Phenom II x4 B55 @ 4.06ghz and it uses all the cores fairly evenly. I do see slightly lower nominal usage though. I have seen FPS in the 100s in quiet areas but down to low 20s in huge battles. What kind of frames do you get?
  16. Joe_da_cro

as the game stands atm the best cpus (if people are upgrading for this game) are the ones which have better single core performance. unfortunately this happens to be the intels which perform better on single core performance. although the newer amd cpus arent too far behind. which means if you have an aging amd cpu atm you will notice that the game can dip well below 30 as they tend to have quite poor single core performance when compared to newer cpus.
  17. MittRackRObama

I have a i3 3225 (3.3GHz) an Asus Direct CU II 7870 2GB overclocked 1253 Mhz gpu and 5.5GHz on the memory, 8 GB of 2000mhz cas 9 latency ram, and what seems like 1 year of attempting every single possible optimization after every single game update. I run a Seasonic 520W 80plus bronze >87% efficiency PSU, and an Asus P8Z77 v-LX Mobo (with digi-vrm 5k capacitors).

Zero excuse for this game not to run well at least. It chugs in probably about 10-20% of gameplay. Typical, but still unacceptable.

i3 is not enough. Get the slower i5 that's a baseline: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53350p
    and if you're going to go i5 you might as well get a Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

and an overclockable processor: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53570k

Oh and as a side note, don't buy into Nvidia AMD wars. Go find the best price to performance ratio card which in the sub $200 range appears to be the 7870 at $190. If you can spend a little more the GTX 760 is lookin' mighty fine.

www.teksyndicate.com
  18. anaxim

I'm thinking of buying a i5-3350P at 3.1Ghz ,probably the slowest i5 but it is cheap(it doesn't overclock but Im not interested in overclocking). The only problem is that I found a Planetside 2 video on You tube and the guy there was saying that the i5-3350P is going to have 30 fps in big battles while the other(better) i5 or i7 will have 40 fps.

Has anyone have any experience with this cpu (i5-3350 @ 3.1ghz) in Planetside 2? If it is 10fps lower than the rest of the i5's then maybe I will have to wait a little and buy a better i5...or i7.
  19. Lancener

I have the same CPU and GPU, great setup for most games. I won't change anything based on this game's performance until they finish optimizing, hoping we will all se 60+ fps in big fights.
  20. e_z_a

To throw a revive grenade on this thread:

Yeah I think you're right, I see diminishing returns the higher I push the overclock. Having said that, I would like to see exactly how far I can push this CPU on air cooling... also getting it to 3.7GHz was very easy, so I wonder how much more it's capable of :)
    And yes, it's currently set to 435x8.5, 1.25V. Temps under heavy load up to 86 degrees C.

Hey, I had to take a break from PS2 last year, but am back again and was thinking about this old post.
    My FPS in PS2 isn't bad but it isn't great either.
    Since last writing here I got a new case - a Zalman MS800+ and it's sort of laid out like this, with air coming in the front and going out the top back:
    Code:
    +-----------------------+[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]| FAN            / DVD \|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|F+---+ || ||    \_____/|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|A|CPU| RR RR    /EMPTY\|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|N+---+ AA AA F  \_____/|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|  FAN  MM MM  A / FDD \|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|      || ||  N\_____/|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>              /EMPTY\|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>-Soundcard-    \_____/|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>-------------  / FAN \|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>-HD6950DCUII-  \    /|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>--FAN-FAN----  /EMPTY\|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>              \_____/|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|>-TV-CARD-      /EMPTY\|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|                \_____/|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|+-------+      +-----+|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|F      |      F| HD1 ||[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|A  PSU  |      A| HD2 ||[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|N      |      N| HD3 ||[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|+--FAN--+      +-----+|[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]+-----------------------+[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]|                      |[/FONT]

(edit: ah never mind - you get the idea I hope) :-(

I've got enough cooling to push my overclock a bit further I think.
    My CPU cooler is a big Noctua one that was winning awards on tech sites back in 2008/2009. The DirectCu2 version of the graphics card gives extra cooling too.

If you're still active, and still have your overclock information to hand, I'd really appreciate it :)