Shotguns worth buying?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bobaflay, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Bobaflay

Shotguns worth buying? Im new and I dont know if shotguns are good in this game. I play TR and VS. What are my best options?
  2. Ronin Oni

Depends... Do you play Light Assault? :D

Generally only class it's good on. Engineers if you're mostly just repairing/resupplying maxes in like a inner facility/CQB fight where you use it for defense.

I like pump shotguns personally, though on TR I have the auto-fire one. Try em out in VR to find your flavor... and then try em out with a free trial during a Biolab fight
  3. Bobaflay

How you get free trial... im new
  4. Bobaflay

Also what if i shoot them at long range. how many shots will it take. i also mostly play heavy
  5. Bobaflay

BTW. Are you from War Thunder?
  6. XRIST0

Go to the weapon selection click on the gun you want and proceed to purchase it , select trial at the bottom .

It lasts half an hour .
  7. Bobaflay

ok. also is that your real k/d. and what shot gun do you prefer for long ranges.
  8. Word Of Madness

Shotguns are nigh on a must have for close quarters fights in bio labs and tower bases. They are useful on every class, unlike what Ronin suggested.

They are horrendous at longer distances, so you should avoid long range confrontations and bait your enemy into a more confined space in order to gain the upper hand. You can buy slug ammunition for them, which worsens your effectiveness in close quarters, but allows you to be more effective at longer distances. They are inaccurate if you're on the move, and due to their slow projectile velocity, they're also difficult to hit moving targets with, so you're still not that great at range, but it does give you a little more flexibility. I think slugs are rubbish, but some people swear by them.

You can trail a weapon by going into VR. In the main warpgate building, find the map terminal, then hit the VR button. In there you can go to a weapons terminal and select any weapon and attachments you want. If you want to try it out in game as well, then go into the depot/store and click the purchase button, there should be on option in there to get a 30 minute trial of the weapon. Unfortunately you cant test out the attachments.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ronin Oni

no, it's a CQB weapon. You can get slugs but not worth it IMO (well, VS you can head snipe with it :rolleyes:)

I'd say keep to LMG's for HA.

It's strength lies in getting face to face and OHKing (or very quick with auto/semi) them... which of course LA does best (Infil is great, but can't equip shotguns...)

You also might consider an SMG... or if you're buying with SC, the PDW since it's multi-faction as it will be usable to both infil and LA and even HA which can perform at range better than shotguns, while still outperforming everything but shotguns in point blank combat.

I've played it, but barely... prolly someone else.
  10. XRIST0

No that's just from 1 session i had one night gunning on a harraser , my k/d is 4.16 i think .

I don't use shotguns man , i have no clue personally .. But if you want to use it for long range you will need to use slug ammunition
  11. Sen7rygun

Shotguns are only any good for point blank combat. People will say they're absolutely necessary for tower fights or biolabs etc but I think they only say that because they haven't worked out that automatic weapons and headshots pretty much equals instagib.

Shotguns are great at zero to 5 meters, still not bad at 10 meters, but their TTK and reload speed beyond that will see them losing to rifles and carbines most of the time. You can get slug ammo for shotguns, which greatly enhances their ranged capability but takes away the close range OHK option.

Shotguns are highly situational basically. If you want to play light assault and spend your time dropping in on people in bases where verticality plays a part they're great. If you want to play rambling HA throwing concussion grenades into a room then charging in with your shield on blowing people away at point blank range they're great.

If you are spawning from a sunderer 100m away from a base and you have to cross any sort of open ground or engage in a fire fight with someone more than 15 meters away from you then you're going to get your skull ventilated.
  12. Bobaflay

I thought you were herrronnin from warthunder
  13. jihon83

Don't forget to trial the weapon in the VR Training space, too. There, you can not only trial the weapon without worrying about time and you can check out how the weapon feels when it's fully Certed out.

As for shotguns, they can be very effective, but I'll admit I dislike them because they seem too deadly between their damage and the mechanics of the game, but that's just evidence of how powerful they are. Though you really should trial them, to make sure that your computer and your connection will actually let you make the most of an SG. If you have low FPS or suffer from a lot of lag, there's a good chance that you'll be putting yourself in a bad spot by using an "all or nothing" weapon.
  14. M4L4CH1TE

As VS my engie, LA, and Medic all sport the Thanatos semi. The full-autos are just too weak and they kinda nerfed the pumps so they don't perform much better than semi-autos. Get the extended mag.

As someone alluded to above - the zero bullet drop Vanu get allow you to basically snipe with it using slugs - just add the scope. Three taps even at long range will kill a stupid sniper. And boy isn't that embarrassing ;-)

Unless I'm in a biolab I always equip slugs.

But for HA use an LMG.
  15. ironeddie

Shotguns are ok used to be great. I'd always use an smg for CQC these days.
  16. ViXeN

If you play VS just stick with the Orion. The shotguns can get you some quick kills but they are overrated.
  17. Bobaflay

18. DJPenguin

Semi's are alright. Pumps are quite pitiful now. Being new, I'd stay away from them initially. It is best used with light assault and heavy assault. Even after all of their nerfs i can still go on decent killstreaks with pump shotties but they're still trash tier.
  19. gloowa

For VS, go Nova + extended magazine + x1 or x2 scope. Don't use slugs.
  20. KenDelta

If you're looking for something for longranges , an autoshotty + extended mags + slugs.
    that would secure anything at 20meters away with a whole magazine.

I just discovered this "sniping" build : Pumps(the lesser pellets ones) + lazor sight + slugs + NV scopes.
    2 hits enemies at +40meters.