Oracle of Death

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dingus148, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Dingus148

From PSU:
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?t=56268

A new API by a guy looking to draw statistics from each GU. It's brand new (2 days of data or some such) but it's already showing some interesting information. It's sorted by total kills, unique killer IDs and then kills per user. Even though it's only been going for a short time, it's demonstrating some interesting trends. An example from memory would be the numbers on MAX weapons. Mattocks have very few users, but get a disproportionate amount of total kills. Possible indicator of Mattocks as a high-skill weapon? (I mean, that's "no ****, Sherlock" kind of stuff, but these numbers kind of confirm what a lot of us hold to be true.)

STATISTICS NOTE: This doesn't really give that much insight into balance. It merely shows the popularity of any given item and how long it has been used for; it doesn't record k/d, accuracy, BR of killer etc. Reddit has already exploded into nerf calls based on numbers that none of them understand. The creator him(her?)self has already stated he wouldn't raise an eyebrow for anything less than 20% differences.

Let's demonstrate that Forumside doesn't need to be the cesspit we all think it is. Deal? Enjoy, and be polite. The last nifty API creator shut the whole thing down (forget his name, was just after GU02) because his stats were used by everyone with an axe to grind. Let's all agree that these numbers are indicative of nothing in isolation and keep the dialogue well-mannered. Plenty of interesting things will come out of this, but I'd hate to see this thread become ZOE/Striker/Enforcer Modified OP, PLZ NERF.

Oh yeah, the most interesting revelation of all came from this...people actually use the Enforcer Modified. I thought that thing was like a Planetside Unicorn.
    • Up x 2
  2. KAHR-Alpha

Cupboy, I think.
    • Up x 1
  3. Sogui

I love this. It basically proves absolutely everything people have been saying about the TR having overpowered ****.

Best ES-Rocket Launcher, Best AV Max weapons, and as a result their MBT and ESF are absolutely crushing the stats while NC/TR are getting pooped on in the ground an air because of these broken weapons remaining unchanged.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dingus148

That's him...thanks man.
  5. Dingus148

No, it doesn't. It only shows popularity. Without timeframes or k/d, it shows nothing of the kind. Find similar stats and correlate them, and you may have an argument. Until then, all we have are popularity figures
    • Up x 4
  6. Sogui

So you're going to try and convince me that TR uses more harassers, more tanks, and more aircraft while simultaneously getting even infantry kill rates with the other 2 factions. Meanwhile NC v. VS is a dead heat with nearly all the weapons because apparently there is some crazy statistical anomaly going on here.

Get over yourself. The Striker AND Fracture have more kills than their NC and VS counterparts COMBINED, and the Fracture has more kills than the Vortex and Raven COMBINED AND MULTIPLIED BY 2. That is to say if there was a 4th and 5th faction with clones of the Vortex/Raven, all 4 factions would still have less kills than the Fracture racks up. Specifically the Vortex, which the Fracture is currently get TEN TIMES as many kills.

I can guarantee you that if you add up rocket launcher kills per faction, the TR are going to have a convincing lead because there's no way you're going to convince me that the VS dumbfire rockets or ****** ground lock-on is going to have anywhere near the dominance that the Striker is getting and the numbers show it. Right now a squad of TR heavies is the best anti-vehicle setup in the game, which entirely defeats the point of bringing vehicles to a battle if INFANTRY are a hard counter to what is supposed to be ANTI-INFANTRY.
    • Up x 5
  7. theholeyone

Yeh that is my take on it too, unique killer id's is arguably the only non-confounded stat there. Even timeframes has significant skew in many cases (like RLs being carried as tools even when they are unlikely to be used).
    • Up x 2
  8. theholeyone

All he is saying is those stats generated do not show weapon balance, they show popularity. There are plenty of other threads to go argue weapon balance.
    • Up x 2
  9. freeze

I mean it's clear that more people will use a weapon when it's balanced, right?

it's common sense isn't it?

stop spinnin it TR, it's pathetic
  10. Dimsch

Just give it up. People will read into these stats whatever they want to read without even unserstanding what they mean.

These stats are also so insignificant with player skill beeing the deciding factor in nearly every 1v1 engagement. To proof my point i hearby declare that VS and NC knifes are OP and need a nerf. (PS. They are all exactly the same)

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  11. Epic High Five

Dat Enforcer Modified

So OP
    • Up x 2
  12. Takoita

Last time I tried looking at my characters' statistics via some information site or another, it showed my knife as my 'most time with' weapon. So yeah...
  13. Epic High Five

That's because you always have your knife no matter what the loadout!
    • Up x 1
  14. P4NJ

The tears generated by this are awesome.
    • Up x 2
  15. Takoita

Well, yeah MAX Punch is a much more rare guest in that slot.
  16. shd

At least the NC performance on paper seems to coincide with what i see on the field :)
  17. Eclipson

Thanks for proving the OP wrong
    • Up x 6
  18. RHINO_Mk.II

Mattocks are the only NC AI MAX weapons worth a damn after all the nerfs. You can actually kill infantry at 15m without unloading your entire clip and spending 4 seconds to reload.
  19. Cougarbrit

Kpu is better than kills. Kills just straight up be ignored without comparing to user count, otherwise all we have is a popularity contest, same applies for the flipside.

Kpu still isn't perfect though, which is why I think it'd be better to get spu, which is the best option of all the flawed statistics you can look at in isolation.

All this data seems to show me is TR have more vehicle crews than the other factions, and subsequently less infantry. That means less infantry to farm for the enemy and a higher proportion of infantry to farm for us. And TR vehicle weaponry is best suited to farming infantry. The Prowler is the best infantry farming tank, everyone knows that, what this data doesn't show us is how it compares to other tanks in armoured combat. Without being able to seperate the infantry kills against vehicle kills I'm not too fussed about the vehicle stats as in the new base design method vehicles ain't worth much.

Meanwhile, TR infantry is hardmode, with the lowest scoring MAX and HA weaponry, the only possible exceptions being the MCG and Fracture. The MCG performs just as well as the Jackhammer while the Fracture is currently the best AV weapon against AI, which doesn't mean much to me again as it doesn't seperate vehicle kills and the NC and VS both prefer first gen AV weapons, while the TR are solely dependent on the Fracs pretty much.

So yeah, Striker is getting nerfed soon anyways so who cares about the stats for that right now, and TR have the best infantry farming weaponry but the worst performing infantry weaponry. I guess that's what you call asymmetric balance eh?
    • Up x 1
  20. Torok

That work from "Maradine" is Top Quality, very interesting data

Bump for Justice!

To support your post and strenghten it I'd say Mattocks with Slugs makes our Max deadly at ranges before impossibles yet sacrificing cqc firepower against other MAXs.. so to conclude our MAX has become very loadout-dependent for each role it needs to fulfill, one loadout for each situation, but it does it's work Very good, but you have to switch, and you'll need more certs than other empire MAXs.