Do you think ESFs that use A2A missles are cheap and dishonorable?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Travelman00, Aug 6, 2013.

1. PaperPlanes

A lot of things in a lot of different games are cheap and/or dishonorable, but that doesn't mean people won't use them, so you have to just accept it.

It's our job to play the game, it's SOE's job to watch the data and balance/improve the game based on the numbers we create for them.

Also, I'm sorry, but what kind of plane/jet/whatever flying machine shouldn't have lock-on missiles? Like them or not, they're an iconic part of aircraft weaponry! They seem balanced well enough, such that they reward people who use them correctly, but are also easy to counter by a good pilot (IE, don't run away unless you're a Mosquito with Racer 3 and fuel tanks equipped). If you turn around and fight them on, it usually screws up the lock-on missiles.
  2. Jogido

smart play. save the infantry from pods :)
  3. Gustavo M

What, women has suddenly turned into sex psychopaths that randomly jumps strangers of opposite sexes in an attempt for a "quick" sex relief?
    Jesus Christ. Time does passes quick, all right.
    Brb, checking how's outside.
  4. SpaceKing

It's cheap to sit in your stealth scythe 300m away and hover behind a cliff while you take photon potshots at passing aircraft

but it's a tactic as much as hunting them down
  5. ValorousBob

While we're on the topic of "cheap" tactics, I spent about 10 minutes today hovering over Eisa and shooting TR/NC drop pods as they rendered.

The heathens were not amused.
  6. Giggily

As an honourable samurai warrior and vocal advocate of bushido I believe that all ESFs should be given melee weapons in the form of lances, and all air combat should be made into highly regulated jousting competitions.
    • Up x 2
  7. Admiralty

Tbh, I see A2A users as having a disadvantage in a hover duel. In the initial phase of a dogfight where you usually have one person chasing another, they definitely have the advantage. The quicker you get out of this phase as the victim, the higher the chance of you winning. In the hovering phase, the person being locked on really only has to boost under or above the A2A user (or move out of their LOS in general) to break the lock.

I once beat an A2A user in a dogfight using only rocketpods because hover duels may sometimes end up in a CQC type of dogfight and thats the A2A's weakness. Its sort of like a fight irl, the A2A is the kick and the nosegun is the punch. Although at range the kick has more power it requires a larger wind-up time for it to hit (the lock-on time) and its at this time where the punch can take advantage of the wind-up by dealing that massive burst of damage in a CQC scenario.

Also, if a samurai ran at me with a blade and I had a gun, I wouldn't think twice about shooting him with my machine gun because its a fight and my survival depends on it and really, its an online game and everyone's ultimate goal is to survive using any possible tactic so although I think A2A missiles are cheap and 'dishonorable' it doesn't bother me that much at all since I know how to negate their use and its usually the inexperienced pilots who would use them anyway.
  8. Pixelshader

VS already do this.
    • Up x 1
  9. NyaR

10. 660/12

Indeed. Sometimes I go with a PPA + AB tank loadout for farming infantry (works at longer range than pods, actually). This setup is completely and totally defenseless against ESFs, so I generally go for the ram if I'm attacked.
  11. DeadliestMoon

Fun fact: Katanas can actually cut a bullet in half.
  12. Phyr

Where did it say anything about camping? Are you also implying that large groups of infantry don't get hit with rocket pods? Do you know what capital letters are? How about an apostrophe?
  13. Patrician

This is true of course but does relying on A2A rockets guarantee that they'll never be able to compete? I never fly, I must confess, so haven't any experience with either.
  14. TrainerS2

Infiltrators with SMG is cheap noobs and kidds play ^^
  15. Rogueghost

The closest I ever got to sending a hate tell was after someone shot down my drop pod with a Reaver.
  16. Goretzu

I think they should be much more deadly, it would help sort out A2G issues in two seperate ways.
  17. Sebyos

OHHH Cause Using Air to Ground rockets is fair and all this game is sooo fair.
  18. Xhaleon

I wonder if we could attach swords to ESFs?

Clothesline kills would be taken to a whole new level.
  19. yama

I dont know what you are talking about, I've had swords since beta :)
  20. ValorousBob

Not *never* but it's going to take longer for them to get good with the rotaries.