[BUG] When will max update be complete?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Dimachaerus, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dimachaerus

We were told we'd be getting such lovely things as grenade launchers, flame throwers, travel mode and a host of other things, some of which we actually got! However...

The max update has come and gone a loooong time ago, and we're still waiting. We got a few fixes, three abilities and one set of new AV guns each. Hardly a "Revamp".

Seriously SOE finish the ******* update already.

Things still sorely needed:
    -Travel mode
    -Travel mode
    -Travel mode
    -Travel mode, SERIOUSLY, why is this not in? We can no longer deploy in any form, so we HAVE to hitch a ride, since we can't pull anything ourselves. You even stated that you were removing our ability to deploy because we'd HAVE travel mode.. well, we're ******* waiting.
    -NS weapons (so the NC can finally have a machinegun)
    -Grenade launchers, grenade launchers, grenade launchers.
    -ZOE being ******ulous (I refuse to use it it makes it so EZ mode)
    -Looooong delay after lockdown is released before you can move. Fix it. Fix it NAOW. Also, WHY MY PYLONS ON LEGS NO GO INTO GROUND?!? WHY I STAND FUNNY WITH NO PYLON?!?
    -NC shield needs a bit more coverage, and you need to be able to whack ******* with it. Maybe even slight regen while active
    - Un-nerf Falcons. They need more velocity.
    -Make empire specific abilities/charge separate from ammo drum cert line.
    -GIVE US SOME FREAKING ZOOM/IR/NV
    -Give us more weapon upgrades other than "extended mag" (laser sight, recoil comp, etc...)
    -Make Time reduction cert line also decrease cost of max in Inf resources (350 is ******* stupid atm) Half your infantry pool in one go, on an asset that can be killed reliably with a pistol, is not smart balance.
    • Up x 11
  2. basilbroketail

Doubt it will happen. As it is many people believe that Maxes are too easy to use .
  3. DeadliestMoon

If you're dying to an enemy with a pistol, then you are doing something wrong. Also if resource cost is lowered then you will see mass amounts of MAX spam, guaranteed.
    • Up x 3
  4. Dimachaerus

Not saying it happens to me (unless I get jumped after fighting an armored column), but have you seen how much damage a comissioner can do to a max? Note also, resource cost reduction in the timer cert line. This means you'd have to specialize into it pretty heavily (to the tune of almost two thousand certs)to get it really reduced. I severely doubt everyone and their dog will be rushing to do that.

Why should dedicated max players get screwed by a timer AND having to spend half their infantry resources on a class that is only situationally better than a no timer, no cost HA? Tack on all the other detrimental BS associated with it and it just sorta boggles the mind.
  5. Pikachu

6. ShunYu

But they're right. I have no problems with using my scattermax. my slugmax and my TR MAX as alt char. Its pretty easy.
  7. Cryptek

My number 1 complaint about MAXes at the moment is this: Roadkill...

Why the ****, can you roadkill a 2 meters tall hunk of steel that costs 350 infantry resources!? I'm more expensive than most the things that roadkill me at this point... Without even taking into consideration that infantry resources are also more valuable than tank resources.

If you rammed into a MAX it should at best be knocked on it's *** and stunned.. Flashes should blow up as if they rammed a tree and harrassers should be stopped dead in their tracks while the MAX is knocked over.
    • Up x 6
  8. Adept

I think the travel mode isn't needed that much, but I agree on lot's of things you say.
    The extra ammo reserves aren't used at all as far as I know, since empire spec abilities (or charge) are always better to have.

In any case.. SOE should implement dynamic resource costs - based on added modules and such, so that a naked Flesh or a default Max with no armor doesn't cost so much when their applications are so limited. Then maybe implement another cert line to give resource cost reduction (per unit type).
  9. Dimachaerus

I agree that ramming should be a less painful thing for maxes, specially for harassers and flashes. A lightning should splat you, it is after all a mini tank, MBT... yeah, you're a goner.
  10. vanu123

3changes
    1. Seriously ZOE is trash. It buffs every other weapon in the game being used against you by 30%, it is like the Beamer of Maxs now.
    2. Nerf Fractures.
    3. Give us jump jets instead of ZOE.
  11. Dimachaerus

1. Seriously? Why is it then that I can zip around like a manic little kid with a pair of comets/blueshifts wrecking people's faces with near impunity if I'm so squishy? lower damage resistance means squat when you get hit a LOT less since you can zoom around.

2. No. just No. Bring falcons into line (give them more velocity). Comets may need a bit more speed too. Raven/vortex are fine.

3. I'd be down with that since I'd no longer be seeing screaming hordes of sparklecrabs day in and day out.
    • Up x 2
  12. vanu123

1. If you cant hit it you have crap aim.
    2. NERF FRACTURES
    3. MAKE IT HAPPEN :D
  13. Cryptek

Except you're covered in armor, if you think about it logically it would either send you rolling over the top (not fatal) Or you'd go under, which would make the ground give after and you'd sink in. Neither of those would be fatal for the MAX user.

1: If you cannot hit a ZOE MAX, you are admitting that you cannot hit moving infantry, it is a way bigger target and it has to move in a predictable path due to momentum restrictions.

2: If you think Vortexes are fine.. I'll have to bring your judgement into question.

PS: Fractures are essentially a better version of the beta Comet.. A weapon that got nerfed to hell because of QQ back then.. as a VS it feels really cheap that the TR get to have it then, without any mayor outcry.
  14. Dimachaerus

1. I like how both of you start to assume I can't hit them, I can. I kill a lot of stupid ZOE max users who charge me while I have my fracs with AI guns. Comets can go 50/50, and vortexes just plain hurt (though mostly they get used at longer range). It's an indisputable fact however that as a ZOE you can mitigate a lot of the "extra" damage by zipping in and out of cover, or doing the dreaded ADADADAD shuffle. Yes, I know it's been supposedly fixed but it's still much more effective than either the TR or NC maxes attempting it. I'll state again, that when I'm on my Vanu the added mobility makes it waaaaay easier to dodge things that regularly kill maxes. Things like missiles, C4, tank mines (guys on matherson have started dropping mines and trying to shoot them) I've even danced around lightnings prowlers and vannies. Even the usual hail of infantry fire any max faces is easier to mitigate by zipping around.

2. Oooooo Red text, I'm so scared. Seriously, used them, liked them, would use again. Good solid long range AV, bit dodgy on hit detection for AI work at clsoe range.

3. The thing that makes fractures nasty is their RANGE of engagament. You can hit tanks at ranges similar to what other tanks can fight them at. Buff the velocity of Falcons and voila, all three empires have good long range AV. Ravens... ugh, **** ravens. they're far too slow and turn like ****, I can dodge them easy-peasy. They need to fire a little swarm of rockets and have some more velocity, sort of like a close range guided rocket shotgun.
    • Up x 2
  15. Cryptek

This right here, is where you lost all credibility when it comes to discussing ZOE.

There is no 'supposedly fixed' The thing has momentum, if you try and change directions left/right/left/right you will stop dead in your tracks and become a great big pink target until you start accelerating the other direction.

The only way you can semi-strafe with ZOE is by circle strafing.. Circle strafing is very predictable.
  16. Ganjis

Also still waiting for Comet ammo pool to be doubled. Normally, when a weapon has its damage per shot and magazine size inversely altered, there is an adjustment to ammo pool proportional to the magazine size change. Comets run out of ammo so fast it is not funny.
    • Up x 1
  17. Dimachaerus

Yeah, they need to rework a lot of the ammo values. Bursters with high level lockdown are insane at how fast they eat ammo.

You know Cryptek, we have a lot of things we agree on, but this is not going to be one of them. Take off the purple glasses for a bit and try facing them. Factor in a bit of latency and the fact that you always seem to be facing about ten sparklecrabs and it gets a bit obvious. Seriously, I hardly ever see any side field as many maxes as the Vanu since ZOE came out. About the closest I've seen is one NC max crash at a biolab that was quickly mopped up. Seeing 10-15 ZOE maxes charging the walls of a base/tower is an hourly occurrence, not to mention a sign that the defenders are well and truly screwed. I'm not necessarily calling for a nerf, mostly just parity with the other empire abilities.

Shield needs slightly more coverage and faster up/down times. I know it's been suggested a bunch, but you should be able to sprint and also bash someone in the face with it.

Lockdown needs to have the un-deploy times shortened because it plays the animation and then you're stuck there for about 3 seconds before you can move again.
  18. Linus

In fact, I still do not understand why it is so easy to roadkill teammates (max included) when it is very hard to raodkill ennemies.
    This should be exactly the contrary and I am wondering what they are waiting for to fix this problem.
  19. Ganjis

If at all possible, watch this video before reading my post.

Did you watch the video? Not you, you understood the concepts anyway, you are fine.

If you used your comprehension skills on the video and apply your imagination to applying the concepts to ES MAX abilities, you can see some effects.

ZOE gains more than it loses. Sure, sometimes a rocket will hit you just after you switched it off but you will take increased damage anyway. However, you will have more cases where you gain great initiative or are able you move in a less predictable manner due to the increased acceleration.

Riot Shield loses out as a reactive tool, but gains as a proactive tool. That is, by shielding before opening fire, you get free shots before the enemy can react. If you use it to try to stay alive a critical moments, a lot of fire can get through even after it is up on your client. If you use it while reloading I think it breaks out even.

Lockdown really suffers though. The worst part is the undeploy as you are so vulnerable for so long. However, reducing the undeploy time is not the best way to fix this as you will always suffer this penalty due to game mechanics, even if there were no delay at all. Instead, the deploy time should be reduced as low as to make it instant, even while sprinting. This means that a TR MAX could sprint and stop dead with improved guns to tear the face off an enemy, but would then be completely exposed for a delay (plus latency). If you had buddies to cover you, this would be incredible. A proper trade off of rapid-response overkill for high vulnerability to counter-attack.

I am not saying that the above mean "OP, balanced and UP" respectively. The Riot Shield needs some love, but it may have to pay a (comparatively small) price somewhere to be balanced. However, I feel it gains as well as loses from this system. ZOE may need a small vulnerability after you switch it off (speed and damage revert to normal instantly, but damage received stays high for a short delay of similar duration to the other abilities.

Lockdown mode needs some feature that takes advantage of this mechanic to balance the huge penalties it suffers due to it.

I think, in general, vulnerabilities should be something that team-mates can cover rather than arbitrary penalties.
    • Up x 1
  20. Cryptek

Seeing lots of VS MAXes does not count as a 'they must be OP' no that is a server side thing, something a lot of people forget is that: Just because something happens on their server, it must happen on every server. My server is different, I'm lucky if I see 1 other MAX supporting me. If I see a whole 4 other VS MAXes then it's certainly because an outfit made it so. Does that make me right and you wrong? No, but I've read several times about people reporting different things, failing to realize that the game is not balanced around one server populations usage of different weapons and abilities.

If your server is regularly having 10-15 man MAX crashes then it's not because of ZOE that they're effective, in large fights (Especially with more MAXes clumped together) ZOE is a **** ability. If they're winning because of those 10-15 MAXes it's because someone with organization has Medics and Engineers backing those MAXes up, as is true with any MAX crash.
    The only situation where ZOE would work to the advantage of those MAXes, is if they were already winning and pushing the advance. If they have to break an defense of at least equal or greater strength, Charge will serve them better.

If ZOE is active then good luck keeping up as an engineer, that means the MAX is more vulnerable to bullets than if he was sensible and didn't use ZOE with his engineers able to keep up. That or he isn't using the mobility of ZOE very well and just keep it on for 1 less bullet to kill, which is useless in a large fight where someone is shooting you back.

Movement also becomes less important the bigger the fight is, most large infantry fights are indoors (because anything that matters: Points & generators are indoors) Indoors there is not a lot of room to move around, there is doors you have to walk through, there are stairs you have to walk up. Your damage mitigation due to 'super l33t dodging skills with momentum if you do anything but circle strafe' is quite limited.. Walking through a door with 15+ HA's pointing their LMGs at that door? Doesn't matter if you have several MAXes, if you have ZOE on you melt.

Of course I'm not saying 15 HA could take 15 MAXes, but expecting to be able to do that is ludicrous and so is true for all the MAXes...

ZOE is a skirmish ability, it works as long as you're not facing more than 2-3 enemies at a time.. Because anymore and your 30% additional damage taken suddenly becomes more than you can cope with and charge would instead have saved your sparkly ***.

Now I know what you might bring up: In Outdoor battles ZOE is superior because it doesn't have the restrictions of indoors fighting! True, it shines in this respect far more than NC Shield walls or TR Lockdown.. You know what else shines at outdoors combat? Vehicles who are far more proficient at the job than the ZOE MAX.