Swamps need movement penalty?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Strait Raider, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Strait Raider

Let me say first, Hossin is looking daaaaaamn good. Gives me good, swampy vibes.

What doesn't give me good, swampy vibes is well... the swamps. Sprinting, full-speed, through swamps? Nuh-uh.

What do you guys think about trying out something like a 25% movement penalty (for infantry AND vehicles) in the swampy areas? Or perhaps just disabling the sprint ability?

It would give the swamps more tactical weight, rather than just being "very flat ground with no cover".
    • Up x 8
  2. Osskscosco

Nanites can run at full speed in swamp.
  3. Ravenorth

Not a bad idea, but I think the penalty should not affect to the Magrider, since its not actually touching the swamp at all.
    • Up x 1
  4. Strait Raider

Agreed. (And I'm an NC tanker)

Light Assaults using drifter JJs should also not receive a penalty.
    • Up x 6
  5. -Synapse-

This + sounds for moving through water.
    • Up x 2
  6. Niller

Needed to log in so i could like this post.

I really want the swampy water to mean something to gameplay.
    • Up x 2
  7. Gammit

This would be awesome, but I would settle for different sounds when running through water.
  8. OldMaster80

It makes sense but this would be a little unfair for NC and TR. Just imagine if Tomorrow they release the Thresher like was in the original Higby's intentions.
    • Up x 1
  9. Strait Raider

Of course the Magrider should be able to glide over the swamp. Yes it's an advantage, but the empire-specific vehicles have got to be distinct. We can't keep trying to perfectly balance the game by making every faction identical like they're doing with infantry weapons. (Are you listening, SOE?)

A small imbalance, contrary to popular belief, is actually a good thing.
    • Up x 3
  10. Strait Raider

Now, on the topic of swamps... how about making them a little bit deeper too?

I've had the... "pleasure" of traversing many swamps in my day. Some in my own backwoods, some in military training areas. (which ALWAYS have a G-D swamp) With the possible exception of Lava, they are the worst possible terrain for infantry to traverse. Zero cover, high exposure, difficult movement, and you can't even take the prone to defend yourself.

The single, tiny, redeeming factor of a swamp is that certain swamps afford a small amount of concealment, for the same reason that you can't move quickly. You're up to your shins, knees, waist... neck, sometimes, in stinking fetid water, with thick vegetation under and above the surface of the water. If the swamp water on Hossin were say... deep enough that a crouched infantryman would just have his head, shoulders, and rifle out of the water, (which is about mid-thigh on a standing person) I think that would add to the immersion of the swamp. (no pun intended) It would also give some tiny concealment advantage to the swamp, to partially offset the massive exposure caused by the flat, open surface and movement reduction.
    • Up x 5
  11. LOLdragon

Thanks for the input, and this sounds like a great idea!

I really like the thought of a squad advancing on an enemy position in the dark of night covered up to their necks in water. If you could put an immunity to spotting on such a position in that sort of location as well, PlanetSide 2 would suddenly have a really viable stealth mechanic!

I won't get my hopes too high though. The differences in gameplay between Esamir, Indar and Amerish are so far governed completely by environmental geometry. Why should Hossin be different?
  12. NetSlayer

Would be cool if every time you switch weapon, swamp water drains out of your gun.
  13. Takoita

Really loving ideas in this thread. +1 to the suggestions above.