Constantly Crashing to Desktop

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Skones, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Skones

Hi there, recently I have been constantly crashing to desktop with no error screen when I play for around 5-60 minutes. It started after I have changed my Graphics Card and then updated my Planetside 2. My drivers are all up to date, and I have tried to fix the crashes by validating game files, deleting the PhysX files, etc., but the problem still persists.
  2. xVirtue

What are your computer specs and what version drivers for GPU?
  3. Skones

Current GPU Driver is 320.49

CPU: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    Memory: 16GB
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    64-bit
  4. DukeX

same here, many crashes, nvidia driver resets , hang up´s....

CPU: Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4660k CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    Memory: 16GB
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770 (Palit)
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
    gpu driver 320.49 , but i have tried the 326.19 and 326.41 with the same problems
    yesterday i deleted some files and vaildate... than i have played for hours without crashes, but today the crashes are back :(
  5. Jacky Raptor

Mines been crashing since...well one of the majour updates ages ago, think it was the one where they "optimised" everything and actually ended up makeing it run worse than it used to...
  6. xVirtue

Everything seems to be good on your end, OP.
    Since you've both validated and re-installed, only solution now is to submit a ticket since this is on SOE's end. You too Duke.
    As a side note, the 314.22 seem to be the most stable Nvidia drivera.

Sent from my HTC One.
  7. SShocK

Or you disable GPU Particles (PhysX) in your game settings, it's very likely crashing you.
    Not a real solution but you can probably play without crashing.
  8. Maxwest

Same problem, never had PhysX on. Can't even turn it on or somethin'.
  9. Eternal Enigma

Ever since GU9 Planetside 2 has been crashing every 5-10 minutes on my machine regardless of settings.

Before these recent updates I was running PS2 on ultra with absolutely no issues (high frame rates, no lag, no crashes).

To try to fix my crashing issue I've tried the following:

1. Using default settings.
    2. Turning off PhysX, motion blur, fog shadows, ambient occlusion, and the like.
    3. Using low settings along with lower rendering with everything off.
    4. Deleting and replacing files by "validating game assets" as suggested by SOE.
    5. Reinstalling Planetside 2.

When does crashing occur?

It seems like my game crashes the most when I'm about to enter a teleporter, standing near elevator pads, or if a huge explosion goes off near me, which tells me there must be some type of error occurring with those effects.

The really interesting thing here is that I'm not experiencing any crashing while playing on the test server, which should tell you that it isn't my rig or my settings.

Simply put... something bad made it to the live servers that isn't on the test server and it only seems to be affecting certain people.

I haven't made a post about this until now because I've been patiently waiting for an update that might unbreak whatever they broke, but this has gone on for so long that it's beyond ridiculous. Instead of creating more purchasable content I wish they would just fix issues like this first. I've personally spent $700 on this game and now it crashes so much that it's nearly unplayable. Needless to say; if I am unable to play it I'm not going to spend anymore money on it.
  10. Axaxin

Been getting a similar issue, never a CTD but more of a hard lockup that I can only get out of by pulling the plug/hard reset. Sometimes it recovers, more often it doesn't, but it seems to follow a similar pattern of occurring sometime within the first hour or so of playtime. Screen will black out for a moment, sound will go all wonky, and then the image will recover, usually looping sound if it isn't salvageable.

i7 3770 CPU
    16 GB Memory
    GTX 690 using 314.22 Drivers
    Windows 7 Pro.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't like having to keep cutting off power to my machine to get out of a PS2 crash.
  11. Skones

Yup, I have basically done all those too, and it seems as these solutions do not work. I have submitted a ticket to SOE and awaiting response.
  12. Eternal Enigma

I certainly hope it's something that can be resolved.

My game just crashed with an error saying that it couldn't find "ApexParticleVB_TeleporterLoopVS."

I'm assuming "ApexParticleVB_TeleporterLoopVS" has something to do with an animated texture or sound related to the teleporter... And the interesting thing is... my game crashes nearly every time I try to use a teleporter.

I really don't believe this has anything to do with the settings we're using or our specs especially since this wasn't happening before some of these updates rolled out. I think the devs did something and they don't know what they did so they're just blaming the crashing on PhysX until they can figure it out.

In order for them to fix it they must know what is taking place when the game crashes. If you have a large number of people just saying their game is crashing that doesn't really tell them much, but you can find a pattern if people give good descriptions of the circumstances around the time of the crash. Like with me for example; I've noticed my game crashes in certain situations, which could help them find the cause of the issue faster if they have a better idea of where they should be looking.
  13. Skones

Yea, I too hope this problem will be fixed soon. Also when I crash, unlike you, I get no error at all, just a Planetside2.exe has stopped working and automatically closing to desktop.
  14. Ian_M

Well it seems the game is fubar.
    Personally I would not recommend NOT PUTTING ANY MONEY INTO STATION CASH. Put a massive $20 in myself. Then SOE messed up the weapons I got by reducing the effectiveness. I can get battlefield 3 for that amount on sale. Its shocking that eternal enigma put $700 into it and the game is now becoming a disaster.
    Its sad but is the game worked it would be really great.
    I play other games and they do not seem to crash at all.
    THE GAME IS BROKEN, NOT OUR COMPUTERS. SOE - YOU REALLY NEED TO FIX IT.
    Given the present state of this game, would anyone consider getting a PS4? Not me. I believe the forgelight engine is going to be used for all of the SOE games on that console.
  15. Eternal Enigma

I've been playing for 9 months and my game has been crashing for right at 3 months now. In that time I've only received 2 error messages and the rest of the time it just goes straight to the desktop. One error was G20, which means my computer may have ran out of memory, but I know that's impossible. With 16 GB system memory and 4 GB GDDR5 on my GPU it better not run out of memory and if it is this is highlighting a serious memory leak in the game. The only other error I've received happened just last night saying that it couldn't find "ApexParticleVB_TeleporterLoopVS." I'm assuming they made some changes and forgot to remove some coding that told it to load or look for an effect that either isn't there anymore or had it's name changed. They have been changing the sounds quite a bit so errors related to those changes are a possibility.

$50 here $50 there adds up after a while. That's not including the cost of upgrading my PC just to play this one game. Most of the people in my outfit have spent at least $200 on Planetside 2. The sad thing is nearly all of the people in my outfit have stopped playing the game because it's almost unplayable. What's the point of starting a platoon or having squads going if everyone is going to crash out every few minutes? That's 350 people that have stopped spending money on Planetside 2 just within my outfit and I would imagine there are similar numbers across the board that are going undocumented. A lot of people have just given up on the game completely so they aren't coming to the forums or submitting complaints. They've simply moved on. That's not good for business that's for sure.
  16. Fed

I have nearly identical settings to this with the same issue. Even the driver version ... SOOO I'm going to try the updated driver.
  17. Andrea SKye

I have the exact same issue. I have lost so many vehicles because of this. My PC is more than capable of running this game but every 10-30 mins, crash with no error.

This is getting VERY frustrating and I am on the verge of cancelling my membership. Please fix SOE. I used have great respect for SOE, but its starting to deteriorate. A bug this huge should not be in the game for this long.
  18. Axaxin

Let me know if it works out for you, and what driver you updated to.
  19. angryBuddha

I had a pretty stable system running Ultra settings until the last GU. Then I got crashes where my 3 monitors went black and restarted saying that my Nvidia drivers crashed. The computer had to be restarted for the game to be playable. So I noticed I wasn't on the latest Nvidia drivers. Thereafter, it was the typical CTD problem.

Some forum suggestion proposed that it was from Ultra textures. I'm now running the default "High" dropdown settings minus both shadows, AO nor Motion Blur. Things have gotten a lot more stable. I'm thinking that this is related to other posts about Ultra and High textures not loading.
  20. Lagavulin

I had same thing using drivers later than 3.14, which seems to be something to do with physx - even if turned off. Updated to the latest nVidia Beta drivers and all okay since.