NC Cloaking Volume. Turn it down...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by AUSGrizzly, Mar 17, 2013.

1. AUSGrizzly

Its kind of annoying this.

I stood next to an VS Infiltrator who was busy sniping to know I was there, listening to him cloak and decloak. I was literally standing on top of him and I could JUST hear the sound of his cloak, a near silent watery ripple....

I stood next to a TR Infiltrator, again on top of him. A mechanical sound that was only slightly louder then the VS cloak. Very quick in its speed of sound...

I stood next to a NC Infiltrator, again on top of him. It sounded like someone ripping fabric, loud and long...

Why does the NC Infiltrator's cloak sound so loud, if I try and do some actual infiltating, if I even think about cloaking/decloaking, I might as well start shooting cause it lets anyone know exactly where I am when I do so...

I can't be the only one that feels this is a problem...
    • Up x 7
  2. ColdCheezePizza

Turn them all down and add the ability where shooting automatically takes you out of cloak, so we can at least stand a small chance against the headvysides.
  3. kingskorpio80

This makes me think cloak sound might no be working properly at all time or your are def =P

Only last night I was hearing a Vs infiltrator who was on my squad cloaking/decloaking and he was quite far away, and there was no other VS in the area but us, so I was thinking to myself " jeez an enemy in a 100 meter radius will know we are around , stop that!!"

ironic when you think you can sneak around better avoiding cloak like a disease lol.
  4. Regpuppy

I'd rather force infiltrators to decloak before shooting, but the sound definitely needs to be toned down to an almost imperceptible level unless you're basically doing nothing but sitting in a quiet base. Cloaking/decloaking should sound like a hiss you'd get when opening a can of soda or a slight crackling and that's it.

It should be heard if you're within 5-10 meters of someone, but not something so loud you hear it from the other room.
    • Up x 2
  5. drNovikov

Yes, NC cloak sound is way louder and longer.
    • Up x 2
  6. Lakora

There was someone who actually made a sound analyses and it turned out that the TR cloak is the quickest and most silent... VS was in second place and than at the top was NC...

A TR cloaker I really have to pay attention to hear if I do hear him that is...
    A VS cloaker I can just walk around normal and since the sound is so distinct it's easy to realize "Hey there's a VS infil around"
    A NC cloaker... Everyone instantly shots through walls... Over exaggeration much... Yes...

Personally tho I only use the cloak when moving from position to position or building to building. If I'm in a building I'm sure no one would normally enter I sure as hell ain't gonna cloak cause that would just draw them too me. Actually had that last night at Tawrich, the entire area was empty it was so quiet, I'm on my way towards the airpads... Suddenly I hear a VS cloak going on and off inside a building I'd normally never go into, well I walk in kill him and I'm on my happy way. Figured that if he hadn't cloaked I would of never known he was there. :D
    • Up x 2
  7. drNovikov

You can hear it at 90-100 meters, according to tests.
  8. Rohxer

That's also the range I could hear another faction's sensor dart when I was running tests on that.
  9. Vaphell

... and if by any chance the sound is too hard to hear, you get a convenient marker on the minimap, as if the unmodded bolt action rifle was fired >_<
  10. Get2dachoppa

I'm positive people have heard my cloak at ranges around 50-60m. One example: I was alone in some rock formations when an enemy sunderer rolled into the area on my minimap. I cloaked and peaked around the rocks to see the sunderer park about 55m from my location and the driver got out to repair. I zoomed in to take the shot as my cloak wore off, and immediately the driver jumped back into his sunderer (repairs not even half complete) and drove off. So much for being a "stealth" class when our own cloak gives us away.
  11. kingskorpio80

ironic when you think you can sneak around better avoiding cloak like a disease.
    • Up x 1
  12. OMGSquirrel

This has been on my mind recently playing NC infiltrator, so I wanted to chime in with the hope that our cloaking sound can be tweaked a little with the other Infiltrator changes. Using any cloak at the wrong time is like ringing the dinner bell, but with the raspy sound that the NC have it seems a little more noticeable than the other factions, like something that will give away your position in spite of local gunfire/explosions, where perhaps the other cloaks are less noticable?

Maybe it seems like I am nit-picking (I guess I am) and my performance certainly isn't going to improve measurably with a more subtle cloaking noise, but as I'm really having a lot of fun with the infiltrator, I don't want to be left thinking that the faction I chose is suboptimal for the class.

I'd take another cloak sound if I could from the store as, aside from the volume the NC sound is a little bit *bleh*. That idea's not going to sit well with everybody but that's just me. But yeah, it would be great in my opinion if the NC cloaking sound could be reworked to be more similar in levels or volume - I do not know the technical terms for it - with the TR/VS sounds.

Am I just being biased? I hope not. :p
  13. Elack

I thought my own cloak was loud. have you tried making alts and testing the cloaks ? maybe you think your own only sounds loud because it is always emanating from your exact position even when your moving ?
  14. zaspacer

Few points:
    1) Every faction's Infiltrator has different Pros and Cons.
    2) I think all Infils would love to have the Cloaking sound volume reduce.

I have Infils of all three factions and the one I hear the clearest is the TR. Specifically because of the high pitch whine at the end of it that catches my attention. But if 99% of players find the NC Cloak the most attention grabbing, then that's really a much more substantive factor than what my ears tune to.
  15. MarkAntony

yeah NC cloak is louder. But the high pitched tone of the TR is noticable, too. And don't even get me started on VS sniper rifles after the sound revamp. I could pinpoint the location of every VS sniper in 5 square miles. Hunting them down is easy. Compare that to the TR who get basically silenced sniper rifles without using a silencer.