Underboss vs. Cerberus - Your choice?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Lavalampe, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Lavalampe

So in this Patch the Underboss got buffed and VS got the Cerberus. Atm I'm using the manticore but i thought about getting something with more firepower. Now there are those 2 guns and I cannot choose which one to pick for certs.

Both can kill 2 guys if every bullet hits (manticore can kill 3 guys...)
    Cerberus has no bullet drop (but bad accuracy will deny longshots)
    Both need one more hit against Nanoweave
    Cerberus has 80 rpm more (is it really that different?)
    Cerberus can equip a suppressor (but still big glowing shots)
    Underboss has no suppressor and is really loud.

Which one would you choose and why?
  2. TheHuntsman

i suggest going to VR training and testing out both and get a feel for them and see which suits you better
  3. Trysaeder

Cerberus has amazing sights and is the VS equivalent of the LA Rebel. The sights alone make it one of the easiest ADS pistols to use, but the poor accuracy and bad damage dropoff limit its range.

The Underboss is still worse than the Commissioner in my opinion. Its RoF is too high for accurate hip firing, and the ADS recoil is annoying as hell. They've both got horrible iron sights for weapons that need to be headshotting more often, and the low ammo : high damage type of pistol doesn't work as well in a game where the HP is so high.

I love the Cerberus because I loved the Rebel, and it's probably the most useful pistol for the VS, but I would not switch from whatever you're using right now.
  4. Plague Rat

For me it would be the Cerberus.

I generally don't like the revolvers. They hit hard but take too long to reload, not to mention if you fire more than 3 you need a long reload. They also have the strongest recoil yet are the slowest recovery rate. With the Cerberus you still get a decent punch without all that.

Also the Cerberus can take a suppressor and the Underboss can't, which might be valuable to an infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dovahkiin

Commissioner with a laser is pretty much the best pistol right now available for Vanu. The beamer is a the embodiment of a joke, the manticore has bad hip fire bloom, and the Cerberus has p*ss poor accuracy. All Vanu specific pistols suck.
  6. Scudmungus

I know what you're thinking:

"Did he fire six shots or only five?"

Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.

But being as this is a NS-44 Commissioner, the most powerful handgun in the galaxy, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question:

"Do I feel lucky?"

Well, do ya, punk?

-.o
    • Up x 6
  7. Rogueghost

Only if your an infiltrator, otherwise the bullet will bounce off your head and you'll knife him to death while he deals with a lengthy reload.
  8. Scudmungus

Obviously the assumption is that 2 of the 5 (6? :eek: ) shots hit the body!

:D
  9. Rigsta

I love my underboss, though I've only started using it again recently after the Manticore started letting me down a little. I haven't had a chance to try the Cerberus out on live yet because of the server problems since patch time.

One thing I will say about the revolvers is that in addition to being long, the reload is noisy. I have genuinely tracked down enemy infiltrators by homing in on their reload noises XD.

Nothing even approaches them when it comes to up-front punch though. They excel in situations where you have to aim between each shot simply to land the hits anyway, negating their RoF disadvantage.
  10. Thostbog

Neither for me. Commissioner is where it's at for Vanu.

At least until potential further changes after which it may become useful to have a silenced pistol.
  11. Master

underboss is capable of shot + knife, kills. Thats why I love my commissioner. This is coming from a CQC infil, I go with commissioner. If you don't want commissioner, go with the UB.

UB bc shot knife, and if your worried by suppressor, cloaking takes you off the map. If you want a silenced pistol, manticore is the best we got.
  12. Hoki

I'd trade repeater for a cerberus.
  13. Black Humor

Gotta go with the commish...tested out the cerberus and though it felt cool it just does not hit hard enough
  14. belthazor3457

Planetside 2, Cerberus review in 1 minute.

• Up x 5
  15. Scudmungus

A whole minute?

Aaaw maaaaaaaaan......
    • Up x 1
  16. Rigsta

Sums it up nicely imo. Lots of bad, very little good. I'm still going to stick with it for a while though since the Rebel seems to do pretty well and it's a purple rebel. And heck, I just love the way it looks.

Also lol at "Mordin reviews the Cerberus" in Youtube comments.

I think it would really benefit from a 10-round mag, slightly better acuracy and maybe even 10 more damage per round (well probably not that). It'd help alleviate the miss once = can't kill shielded heavy problem and maybe even allow me to kill more than one person before reloading.

Let the NC have 10 rounds in the Rebel too, I'm a generous guy.

Reasoning: Burst-fire weapons can still get 1/3 or 1/2 of their damage dealt if a burst does not completely miss. With the Rebel & Cerberus, it's simply hit or miss.

Also I don't get the whole "CQ weapon with worse hipfire than the mid-range ones" idea. Why can't pistols follow the primary weapon standard?
    • CQ primary weapons: Good/excellent hipfire accuracy, so-so ADS accuracy.
    • Mid/long-range primary weapons: So-so hipfire accuracy, good/excellect ADS accuracy.
    • CQ pistols: So-so hipfire, so-so ADS.
    • Mid-range pistols: Good hipfire, good ADS.
    Again, I'm going to keep using it since so many peopple love the rebel and it seems to do ok, but I have gotten frustrated with it a few times today.

Lastly, 750SC/1,000 certs for a pistol? That ain't cool, SOE.
  17. Dramonicous

I quite amazed at the amount of positive posts in this thread regarding the cerberus.
    Aside from the lasher its the biggest shaft VS have gotten, yet another reskin (but not really, its worse in every way)
    It should be noted however that I consider the rebel a crap pistol (for infil) as you still need nearly the same amount of head/body shots + knife as you do with the NC default (read manticore vs cerberus) and this little extra dmg that hardly makes a diffrence comes at GREAT cost.

Underboss or beamer is the only way to go.

Underboss with 1 body shot + knife

Beamer with triple headshot

SOE said they wanted to fill in the missing gaps on pistols, so all empires would have equal pistols for CQC and slightly longer ranges. Another "hardhitter" was not what we needed...

AND WHAT THE ****? FULL PRICE FOR A BLEEDING PISTOL??? JESUS TITTY****ING CHRIST!!

• Up x 1
  18. DrTeeth

I'd vote for neither. Either go for the big cannon and hope you don't miss, or the high capacity spammer (Beamer) which is an excellent emergency sidearm.

As TR I have auraxium on the Repeater and Emperor and am working on Inquisitor now. High rate of fire and big magazines are what you want when things go wrong imo.
  19. y3ivan

if Cerberus has splash damage like lasher, i ll give it a thumbs up.
  20. Elack

I just got 1k certs and feel like wasting it on an NS pistol because I love the look and animations and I want something that hits hard as I only ever use the vs default pistol in case of emergency compared to the other faction pistols that I would sometimes use if I got the drop on someone and didn't want to waste my primary ammo.

I was going to unlock the commissioner, but why the underboss ? is it any good since it got buffed ? still leaning towards the commissioner because it looks awesome, big (and hits harder)