Lost another paying customer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nikademus, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ent|ty

Anyways, I interpreted it as "Free 2 PLay, your way", and now my way has been taken away with restrictive game changes and lattice.
    • Up x 2
  2. dough

I hear ya.. but.. as other posters have stated:

1) this game is for good performing systems at a median price point in the last 18 months. If you don't fit in this mold then you would never be happy with the big fights.
    2) I love the big fights.. the smaller fights can be fun.. but the scale of the big fights and actually trying to make a difference in one of those is what keeps me coming back. Lattice is about making those big fights happen more often. Not everyone will be happy with that fact.. that is life.
    3) SOE has made no secret of the fact that PS2 requires fairly potent hardware. The fact that you don't have that hardware is a sad thing for you regarding playing this game, but blaming SOE for this lack is the height of foolishness. You need to rethink your position there, buddy.
    • Up x 1
  3. Keiichi25

There is something that needs to be pointed out to a lot of you guys out there that don't understand what you are talking about.

First off - Programmers being too lazy to program for AMD core processors - That's not the issue. The issue with AMD cores is that AMD does not have a super strong math co-processor that Intel does. It compensates for this fact by using other methods to optimize certain functions, but when it comes to raw performance, the Intel Chipset will beat the AMD. This is why AMD also says their Processor is a PR<speed>. PR == Performance Rating. This is their estimate of how 'fast' their processor is in general terms.

What also causes the most problems is the motherboard chipset base and the drivers for them that slows down performance or how certain things return results. Again, one of the problems in the past for AMD based computers was how it responded to base commands that would cause some games to bomb out because it was an unexpected response.

Next, consider this - No two computers are going to be exactly a like. We have well over 8 possible video cards, 3 various sound card vendors, at least 5 different headset items, and 7 flavors of processors, not to mention the kind of OS installs (Ranging from pure install, OEM, VM, Bootcamp and emulation) that cannot be 100% replicated in any lab environment.

This is not me being a fanboy of Sony. I personally find some of the decisions questionable, but when you want to argue about 'lazy developers'... Seriously consider what it takes to actually test and implement some of this crap to begin with and grasp the situation.

My computer is an Alienware Area 51, modified to have more disks than stock, 12 gigs of Ram, an nVidia GTX560 Ti cards and a Soundblaster card. It is not the greatest at time, but at the same time, it is NOT the same as someone else who may have an Alienware Area 51 or someone else with a decently built Home System, or the next person over who bought some random PC from Best Buy and put a different video card in there. If you honestly think it is possible to make a program that covers all these variables, you are out of your freakin mind and should stop posting.

Now the OP had one reasonable point... The Lattice System was not the most 'ideal' solution where it does funnel large groups of people into certain bottle necks that will cause problems in handling certain loads. I also feel that while the customization of textures and looks is 'fun' for people, I feel it also contributes to the problem as I have seen it in Second Life where rendering user provided content is slow, regardless of how good your computer and the fact we are literally going ape crap over the nitty gritty, I am not surprised our games are taking big hits because of Player A, B, to ZZZ wants to be their own little snowflake.

Do I feel that there needs to be fixes? Yes. I hate having to pull a Skyguard or MAX with Bursters and be rendered unable to fight air because my hits don't register and I wasted resources on something that is nothing more than 'free XP' for someone else, or crashing into the ground because everything goes to hell as a slide show going into an area because of render coding issues. I want them fixed, but I am also mindful of the situation. Not all these things are 'easy' to get pinned down because Live game conditions are not the same as an inhouse test because inhouse testing won't have all the same hardware as others, nor will it have the same 'expected environment' that a live server will have and will never happen that way.

Lastly, to all you people who think Money thrown at it should solve the problem... Consider this. Even with the premium paying people, people putting in money for SonyCash and what not... This is a 'drop in the bucket' to the operational costs. Factor in the cost to maintain the servers, in hardware, memory, power, networking and the fact several of these servers are sitting in server farms, even with a 'low cost' model, still requires paying for all that on a monthly basis. This also includes paying for the basic use of the same stuff for their office and development location, promoing it to keep people interested, paying for other services. And again, this is me being an IT person working for another company and seeing some of these expenses and we are selling hardware versus what these guys are selling.

Again, understand the limitations out there before you roll out your expectations like it was gospel. You will find that your 'gospel' is as whimsical as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    • Up x 1
  4. Fenrys

Just give it time.
    Right now, there is nothing to do but smash face first into the wall of players where the Lattice connects.
    However, there are plans to add options. ANT runs or ANT-busting for example.
  5. WookLordz

The simple fact is that this game is a MMOFPS on a massive scale. How much do you think you can "optimize" that for a low-end machine? Think about it. Really. Sometimes you just need to realize that you can't participate in something amazing because you don't have good enough kit for it. This applies to many things in life.
    • Up x 1
  6. Kevorkian

We're not talking the power or lack of power of PS4's hardware. I'm simply stating that PS4 will be easier to optimize for because its all one unified piece of hardware across the Playstation playerbase. And that fact there are 10 times the players on consoles than PC, means PS4 will be the priority, not PC. SOE has had ample time to iron out optimization in the several years of development, they haven't thus far. Don't assume it'll ever happen, we're no longer the priority.
  7. Tradewind

All "Unified" hardware is going to do is give them an opportunity to clamp options, because they won't have to account for variations in hardware and peripherals. The actual "guts" though, are completely portable as the PS4 is using typical PC hardware. The instructions are the same. The AMD Jaguar handles processes just like your Bulldozer or your i5/i7 will.
  8. nitram1000

The game runs like **** even on my decent pc.ultra/high/low mix and I still hit high 20's, it's a great concept but ruined by a ******** engine.
  9. dough

Runs fine on mine :). I've had to turn off some services that were starving an already overworked processor.. and once I did that.. no issues even in really large fights. The game went through a period where it was much slower, but that has been worked out.. if you haven't re-installed for a while.. its worth a try.
  10. RadarX

While we certainly appreciate all the feedback, it's gotten a little non-constructive so I'm going to go ahead and close this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.