Resource Changes Incoming!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by wave, Jul 20, 2013.

1. wave

• Resources are reduced to a single currency and acquisition timers are removed.
    • Inventory for infantry items is removed - changed to pay on use
    • Individual Bases/Facilities supply Resources for local players
    • Bases/Facilities have a power level that is drained by providing resources to local players
      • There is a passive power regen to offset the cost of small skirmishes and to restore full power when no combat is taking place.
      • Full powered bases provide more resources than low powered ones
      • The more players being given resources, the faster the power drain
    • Addition of Auraxium Crystals/Mines as a power source
      • These are resource nodes added in between facilities
      • Vehicles fitted with appropriate equipment can load up auraxium at these nodes
      • This auraxium can be transported to a base to manually refill it’s power reserves
    • When a base is totally out of power, no resources are provided to the friendly troops in the area. This allows the attacker cut off entrenched defenders from using resources if they can keep supply vehicles from breaking their blockade
    • There are two resources: Facility resource (power), and Personal Resource (nanites). Personal resource income is affected by power level. So a facility at 50% power will have half the resource income to players being supplied by that facility.
    • Power is drained based on players being supplied, not their actions. So one player pulling a vehicle is not going to be harmful. The more players being supplied the more power is drained (it's a stepwise function, not linear). Idea is that small groups will have little or no effect on power drain but it is a much more significant factor in larger battles. The 'steps' closely map to the activity levels - squad, 2 squads, platoon, 2 platoons, etc.
    • Warpgates provide a small amount of power inflow to connected facilities. This is enough to offset any drain for small groups, and empty facilities will slowly recharge over time on their own (so no running around fueling up bases). Severing lattice where possible can be very impactful to the facilities that are cut off.
    • How players spend their resulting resources does not affect other players. That part of the system works the same as it does today - players have resources and they spend them on vehicles and consumables. Instead of having 3 separate resources there will be one resource.
    • Roughly speaking you should be able to go from empty to full resources in about 10 minutes in ideal conditions. That may change but that's the ballpark. The goal is that if you want to do one thing like drive tanks or fly aircraft, you can do that if you save your resources for those things. We also don't want to have too much save-up power so you are affected when resource income is reduced. Deep pockets insulates that so we don't want pockets to be too deep.
    • Acquisition timer certs will likely be refunded. This seems like the most fair way to handle it.
    • The power-fetching aspect is intended to be focused around large battles to spread them out. Power-carrying vehicles would show up on the continent map so they would be mobile objectives, primarily for vehicle combat. This isn't intended to be a boring tedious thing so much as a sort of capture-the-flag style gameplay where the power carrier is highly likely to see action.
    • Warpgates are facilities that do not suffer power drain, so they are always available as a recharge point.
    LOOKS GOOD!! :eek:
    • Up x 20
  2. DashRendar

Only a little worried about that base power mechanic. Looks like it'll encourage quick fights that end before much power has drained rather than encourage long drawn out fights. Side who brings more soldiers wins. So it seems on paper. Everything else looks good.
    • Up x 1
  3. DarkerHalf

Might want to leave a source so people don't think you're pulling this out of thin air.
    https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/358408290964750336

Anyhow, looks like a promising proposal. Wondering how they're going to work the subscriber benefits into it though, or if they're going to add a different benefit.
    • Up x 1
  4. IamDH

Im not quite following up here
  5. LibertyRevolution

no more stacking 40 C4?
    no more vehicle wait timers?
    empty to full in 10mins?

wow, major changes.
    • Up x 1
  6. THUGGERNAUT

so do we get back all the certs we spent on reduced timers for vehicles/MAX?
    • Up x 4
  7. ih8Darian2

I'm not sure SOE even knows what a refund is
  8. HadesR

Yup and hello pulling tanks then not having the resources to get nades / Med kits :p

Going hit those who multi-task a lot Imo
    • Up x 5
  9. GSZenith

tell us what a refund is :eek:

also 50% buyable boosts still? :D
  10. EliteEskimo

I will be interested to see how this plays out, maybe a complete overhaul will bring more people back to try out Planetside 2 and introduce additional Meta-Game. :cool:

That being said just think on the day this comes out how much the forums will be spammed on how this change ruined the game and how it somehow appeals to the COD crowd.:D
    • Up x 6
  11. Bearcat

Honestly, I am very worried about this, especially with infantry consumables. I'm kinda beyond fighting it anymore. :(

Hoping for the best, but expecting frustration.

On the bright side, I am excited to see the ANT mechanic coming to PS2
    • Up x 1
  12. RHINO_Mk.II

Interesting changes, thanks for spreading the word. My biggest concern is that I have even less incentive to fight alongside large numbers of friendlies because they will be decreasing my resource gain with all their purchases.
  13. RHINO_Mk.II

Frankly, side who brings more soldiers wins most engagements currently. I think these changes will help offset that because a smaller group of players using their limited resource pool more efficiently will be better able to handle a larger zerg who dry up their power reserves fast and then have no way to deal with enemy vehicles. Of course, they will still be able to attempt a resupply convoy, but when have you seen a zerg do anything intelligent like that?
  14. Cl1mh4224rd

Why? Current subscribers get up to +50% resources. Resources won't be going away. What needs to change?
  15. Cl1mh4224rd

Are you new here? They did a refund of a sort when they implemented account-wide unlocks for common pool items.
  16. Cl1mh4224rd

If they stick with the detail about your resource pool going from empty to full in as little as 10 minutes, I don't think it's going to much of an issue.
  17. HadesR

Guess it would depend on the base power level ( if I'm reading it right ) .. If the base you are fighting at is empty and for example your Prowler is destroyed, it could mean having to redeploy 1 or 2 bases back to get a full loadout or doing without ..

Has it been mentioned how Sundies will be handled ? Will their ability to resupply be limited by the base's power within their current Hex location ?
  18. HerpTheDerp

These changes are so good and well though-out that I literally do not believe them.

Higby is trolling.
  19. Phrygen

i don't get how the attackers get resources...
  20. ih8Darian2

Are you new here? Sarcasm.