Planetside 2 startup time too OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ih8Darian2, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Hypersot

It'd be nice if you posted the main download page instead of a straight file to download. People prefer to know what they're downloading, just saying.

here is the main page:

http://ps2fastload.codeplex.com/

also, you might also notice that for the tool to work you need to have more than 8GB of RAM
  2. ColdCheezePizza

SSD's are getting cheaper, especially second hand boot drives with just enough room for the OS/PS2, makes daily log in's on all 7 of my alts for the Premium 48 free daily certs a non factor, I dont even get that mad anymore when my game crashes and I have to restart, well worth the $40 I spent.
  3. ih8Darian2

How do I uninstall it? It's not supported by devs
    (https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/looking-for-dev-approval.141207/)
  4. Bankrotas

I like my long loading, I feel no rush/
  5. SpaceMilk

My startup time is about 8 seconds.
    from the time I click PS2 PLAY to the time I log in, 12-15 seconds.
  6. Verisimilituder

I took a quick peek at the source code for that utility; literally all it does is locate your PS2 folder, read all *.pack files (without actually doing anything with what it reads), then run the PS2 launcher and exit.

So why does this affect load times? It's relying on the hard drive and Windows' file caches; reading the game's data files gets them into the hard drive and/or Windows' file cache so that the next time those files are requested (by the game itself), they'll be retrieved from said cache instead.

Because of the way either cache works, eventually the PS2 files will get knocked out of the cache as you do other things on your computer, so it won't necessarily provide an enduring benefit; it also doesn't permanently consume any resources to pre-cache the files in this way. The way the program works is also dirt-simple enough that the same could likely be accomplished with a batch file.
    • Up x 1
  7. ih8Darian2

Then tell me how to delete it? Still don't know how D:
  8. Verisimilituder

You just delete it? As far as I saw it's just a 12 KB .NET 2.0 executable. Delete PS2FastLoader.exe wherever you saved it to.
  9. ih8Darian2

REALLY, THAT'S ALL I NEEDED TO DO
    I was thinking it created a folder in my C: drive :(
  10. AnotherNoob

about 12 seconds after clicking launch it on the... launcher. SSD or ****