Seems a bit too easy to die?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Drasilov, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Drasilov

Been playing a while now - game is fun to watch but hellish to play. I've been monitoring my deaths and since I now have 350+ I have a good grasp of why I die a lot. I'm a free player and my puter is a bit meh for this game so my framerate isn't great. I'm playing 1600x900 now and its just about playable.

Next thing to bear in mind this is a pay to win game - if you don't pay you don't win so my equipment still sucks. Having no night sight effectively makes in game night play pointless and I have low hp with the few certs I've managed to scrounge. Usually now I die on average:

Sniper - 1 Shot
    LA - 2-3 shots
    Heavy - 2 shots , 1 shot with rocket
    Medic - 3-4 shots
    Engineer - 3-4 shots, 1-2 with turret

I have had instances where the LA, Medic and Engineer have killed me with 1 shot as well but not that many times.

Also I find it extremely hard to tell friend from foe as everyone has totally different armour due to cosmetics, the friendly indicator is too small to see in a firefight and by the time I've seen the muzzle flash and its a laser I'm already dead. All the guns in the game are wildly inaccurate - I have a couple with forward grips and I still find it very hard to hit even guys at medium range.

That said there is still a lot to do even if you cant hit anything - medic and engineer have roles where you really do feel you are contributing and you do get all sorts of bonuses for other stuff such as assists, spot bonuses and the like. I've tried the ground vehicles and they are great fun as are the fixed turrets but I the aerial vehicles I find impossible to control with mouse and keyboard - I guess a joystick might be better or PS/Xbox controller.

Squad play was ok albeit only if I was in a support role.

At the end of the day I do find myself many times just logging in, switching on all my 3 monitors and just watching as its one hell of a visual spectacle - and its free so all the better. I guess like all MMO's it will get better in time for noobs as they will need new players to keep the franchise going.
  2. Macchus

game is not PAY2WIN quite yet . and im sorry but this game is actually getting less n00b friendly .

and your chart of how quick you die pretty much goes for everybody . you cant buy nanoweave with SC you have to cert it . thats what makes alot of people survive longer . and alot of the weapons i depot are not actually much of an upgrade AND you can get them for certs .... you just seem to be a bad player sorry to say ...
  3. Primarkka

Whilst someone's going to come here and spout idiotic stuff like "lulz l2p noob", this man gives an honest deduction of his experience with Planetside 2. These are -actual- design problems and mistakes this game has. They need to be resolved and the only way to do it is by discussing so they'll be put into spotlight for the devs.
  4. Drasilov

I think the game is pay to win from the get go - don't get me wrong I have no issue with that as the game is designed ffrom the ground up for players to be better If they spend more cash.

That said, new players that don't have a sub need to realise your time with the game may not be as awesome as the advertising blurb would let you think - but there is still a lot to do anyway.

I'm still having fun even though I am captain suck. One day I may actually kill an enemy without someone helping :)
  5. SnatchMaster

I have a high performance pc, and I'm having trouble playing on anything but low settings.
  6. 660/12

Money absolutely and definitely gives in-play advantages. Not using money makes it a much steeper climb in at least two respects:

1) Without premium membership, cert gain is MUCH slower. Certs translate directly into effectiveness.

2) Station cash for weapons makes one's toon MUCH more versatile agains the game's various threats. At minimum, you need
    - C4
    - Upgraded AV rocket launcher
    - Upgraded AA rocket launcher
    - Upgraded MBT gun
    - Second burster arm

. . . this is without getting into aircraft or other more specialized ways of playing the game. Certs used on weapons ==> slower progress.
  7. Pikachu

Only when driving vehicles. Because then you have to worry about debris and bumps in the terrain.
  8. Drasilov

It would be nice if there were some way to even the fight a bit. For instance if you are spotted you are already dead - its just a question of how far you can get before death. If you hear that weird laser sound you are already dead. If you are fired on you are already dead. If you see an enemy you are already dead as they will see you and kill you in 1 or 2 hits while you're own shots take 6 or more to even dent the enemy.

There's just no chance to even react - you just immediately die and on the very few occasions you don't you have a chance of a half second wild spray before you are dead. If a tank sees you you are dead. If an infiltrator who is any good spots you you are dead. If you try firing an unguided rocket you are dead unless you move immediately. If you hestitate AT ALL you are dead (sorry if I TK but that's the deal). If you stop moving you are dead, if you try healing a tank from behind you are dead. If you are exposed in any way when on an offensive you are dead. If you try healing a Max you are dead as all firepower hammers the max because you just put a massive "I am here" sign on him by healing him. If you are in a fixed turret and there is any manner of ordnance launcher nearby you are dead.

I've never been in a game yet where it is SO easy to die. I've lost count of the number of times a medic has healed me only for me to get up and die instantly - sometimes several times in a row.

All things considered its no fun if you have no chance - which F2Pers basically have. To that end calling it free to play is a bit inaccurate. Yes its free but you will be mown down continually from day one and it takes so long to get certs you will be mown down very often. Good luck :p