DUMB shields

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by planitsider, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Torok

it's not like you're only fighting for facilities huh, you know, you can fight for outposts, land, stuff, and there are also, you know, vehicles to kill not only infantry to slaughter, flying above a zerged amp station just to find a few kills was lame already, atleast now you don't even have to bother trying.
  2. TheMonkey

Air farming in Amp stations was never a problem. In hundreds of hours playing, I've been farmed ONCE, when I was unsupported against several very good scythe players. Air was never particularly effective in Amp stations. I understand that the shields are under development, but I don't think it is unreasonable for people to express their concerns about its current state, especially considering the lack of clear information from devs and SOE's past history of releasing broken things.
  3. Chipay

Then why should esf's still be to fly over a zerged amp station just to find a few kills?
    Why should tanks still be able to enter a zerged amp station just to find a few kills?
    They shouldn't be able to try either.
    It's not fair for libs, it's not fair for air in general.
    The biggest problem i have is that they're taking combined arms away from this game, there's less and less reason to pull a combat vehicle unless you want to get a killing spree.
  4. AnonymousPZ

The idea i like but it does need some work, I also think its funny how people in this game cry nerf on every new thing that comes out or like a few posts back the guy says the domes are silly and that bursters take care of air lmao they did before people like you cried and got it nerfed. So now most the people you see complain about this idea are the ones that stay in the air 24/7 i guess you guys will have to learn how to use guns... lolyolo:eek:
  5. notyourbuddy

Frostbite Harbor on Esamir has a dome that is very close to what was shown in the Friday Night Ops videos. I.e., Aircraft can pass through, but no projectiles can including small arms fire. You cannot walk on top of them. Unfortunately, didn't get to test Galaxy Drops. Imagine that is likely to be closer to the end result than the earlier versions shown in the video.

[IMG]
    Full Size: http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o702/notyourbuddy/frostbite-harbor-lg1_zpsc83eb650.jpg

[IMG]
    Full Size: http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o702/notyourbuddy/frostbite-harbor-lg2_zps0624ba47.jpg

[IMG]
    Full Size: http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o702/notyourbuddy/frostbite-harbor-lg3_zps0f808964.jpg
  6. Scientiarum

This is a much, much better idea IMO.
  7. Stadulator

Domes in PS1 worked great, dont' see why they can't adapt the same to PS2
  8. [HH]Mered4

For the same reason that MANY other PS1 features wont work in PS2:
    They are totally different games. The only similarities are the size of the battles (huge) and the size of the map (huge),
    Just bcuz it worked in PS1 doesnt mean it will work in PS2
    • Up x 2
  9. deggy

The domes are a little dumb in their current implementation...You can deploy a Sunderer on top of one.

If they were changed so that things could pass through and bullets couldn't, the effect is obvious. They're stealth-nerfing tanks and Liberators. Again.

Why not just remove the vehicles from the game already? We can't get close due to C4, we can't shell from a distance due to domes, we can't survive at midrange due to lock-ons and Engi AV, where are we supposed to be?
  10. Aussie Demon

If they do use this idea it will just ruin the game.
  11. AWood

Seriously. make domes a Sunderer/Galaxy Cert line. Would be awesome to have a galaxy hover over a base with a large dome deployed around it and a 150m radius or so.
  12. Rhapsody

And every single one of these dies in 3 hits from any AP firing MBT, or invisible missile firing Engineer using the AV MANA Turret.

Because we'd like to have 'infantry' be what wins a base, not the 20+ tanks parked outside the spawn out-house that is 100% cut off from every capture point and high-value objective? Because we'd like to have a 'infantry' area that is larger than a football-field (the current bio-farms).

No.. no its not. Only in Bio-labs is it decently easy to defend as infantry. ALL other bases are practically designed to be easy for vehicles to navigate. All objectives are easily vehicle camped, and all spawn locations are easily vehicle camped. There's not 1 single non-bio lab base that is 'designed' for infantry combat alone. Nearly all are designed close to 90% vehicle, 10% infantry.

Air alone is not the problem, and the dome shields are not a 'anti-air' only thing either. They also help to limit long-range tank spam Tanks will no longer be able to sit 400m away and constantly shell the spawn out-houses with HE shells anymore. They will have to get 'inside' within range of infantry (and c4) do continue to do so.

While it will still be stupidly easy for vehicles to 'camp' the spawn outhouses. what these domes do, is act as a band aid on the broken design of the bases. It puts a stop to the 'long-range' camping, and gives infantry a bit of a 'buffer-zone' before they have to worry about fire from vehicles out of their 'retaliation range'. But.. once those vehicles do close the gap, it'll be as if nothing has changed. Vehicles will once again 100% rule bases.
  13. Rhapsody

It would work if they quit trying to force CoD/BF gameplay into A Game such as PS1.
  14. non7top

That is not quite correct. Stronghold, TI alloys, old Crown, these are pure infantry bases. And I think AMP stations are 85% infantry fights since armor is very vulnerable there. When fighting on these bases I don't feel any impact from vehicules. But this brings other problems, like uncapturable bases.

And what this means overall is that base design is very poor. This problem was raised hundreds of times and the only solution is to improve base design, but instead SOE is doing branless nerfs to everithing.
    What we should have instead is
    - a bit larger bases, with more strategic points
    - more space for infantry-only
    - more space for vehicule vs infantry.
    - more tunnels

and
    WE DO NOT NEED POWER DOMES

PS I play only ground, but I still think the domes are not needed at all, since I don't have any problems with air at amps and tech plants.
    • Up x 1
  15. planitsider

There are 3 bio-domes where your save from air and tanks.
    Amp stations have 20 AA turrets and 16 AT turrets.
    Tech plants have 5 AA on the main tower and most of the time more around it on towers.
    If soe does place the dumb shields at least place them on the smaller bases that really needs them.
    The bases whit no AA protection.
  16. LonelyTerran

You have failed to mention that AA turrets are garbage and need a hefty buff.
  17. MangoPunch

I liked the idea of dome shields at first, but now, not so much. Bases definitely do need more cover from air and vehicles, but dome shields are not the answer. What we need is bases to be more like what we've seen from the Nexus preview.
  18. OldMaster80

I like the domeshield idea and I think they could work... but devs should at least change their mind on the one-direction fire. People shouldn't be able to fire from under the dome.

Personally I believe we still have the same old problem with Test Server: instead speculating here we should really try to keep ourselves openminded and struggle to bring people on the actual server so that we can have a massive battle. And then we can start submitting feedback.
  19. Darsh

Because perhaps only one main base per continent had a dome in PS1. That's why no one complained. We already have this.. they're called Biolabs. You can't kill ppl inside a biolab with Tanks or Aircrafts... and we have at least a few Biolabs per continent.
  20. Stadulator

and den?