First gen SMG buff

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Zavex, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Zavex

Should they get one? To me the second gen looks like a direct upgrade. What do you think?
  2. Mythicrose12

NS SMG coming soon. Probably no dice on a 1st gen buff.
  3. Rogueghost

Not sure for the other factions for the TR the armistice (first gen smg) is straight up better then the hailstorm, if you can hit the broadside of a galaxy.
    They have the same stats expect the armistice is 896 rpm while the hailstorm is 800, and the hailstorm has a considerably larger magazine. So the armistice has a considerably better dps then the hailstorm at the cost of a smaller magazine, and while the majority of the TR seem to prefer the larger mag, I'd take the higher dps any day.
    • Up x 1
  4. Get2dachoppa

If I could swap weapons between factions, I'd gladly trade my Sirius for the Armistice any day.
  5. Mustarde

I completely agree with rogueghost. The TR flavors offer pretty balanced choices - Armistice is a bullet hose with a smaller mag that forces most players to fit extended magazine and forego the laser. The hailstorm has a larger mag, less damage, and allows for advanced laser. Personally I will take the Armistice every day.

I wrote a pretty detailed analysis between the two SMG's on my blog the other month. http://aninfiltratorsblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/tr-smg-armistice-vs-the-hailstorm/ I also polled BWC internally and the hailstorm was favored although there were several very loyal armistice users.

Given these characteristics, at least on the TR side, I don't see a need for a buff. I can't comment on the other factions, as I don't own, use or play them.

I am curious how the NS SMG will fit in, and how it will be balanced while offering a new choice for us.
  6. Mythicrose12

I'm of the mindset the NS SMG will have an overall lower DPS than the current SMGs (namely a lower RPM) for extending the range before damage starts to fall off and a possible tighter ADS CoF. A "mid" range smg akin to the full auto scout rifle, but sill...probably better.
  7. Zavex

I should've mentioned that I was aiming for the vanu SMGs. The Eridani seems to be a downgrade to the Sirius IMO. Thanks for your replies anyway.
  8. Mythicrose12

I'm not at place to access the various weapon stats. I've got the araxium medals with both of those SMGs. Here's what I can remember. Please note I've not used either since GU08 but believe the following still hold (mostly) true.

Eridani vs Sirius
    faster reload speed
    slightly more damage per bullet
    significantly smaller clip
    lower RPM

Overall, I felt the Sirius was better for facing two or more individuals (or having extra ammo in case of being surprised) while keeping an advanced laser sight. Eridani with extended magazine wasn't bad, though. Play with both in the VR room. Trial one in real combat, too.
  9. FriendlyFire1

The Sirius feels great to me. Compensator, Fore grip, and soft point ammo, gives me the feeling of some of the old Arena-style FPS game weapons.

It was clear choice over the Eridani, for me.
  10. Scan

Having played both NC and TR, I have to say the Cyclone, atleast in my opinion, is the most deadly SMG there is.

Up close and personal, the higher bulletdamage just totally destroys anything, despite it's RPM being rather low.

I remember not using the Blitz, because, despite it's superiour RPM and Mag size, the lower bulletdamage would cause me to lose gunfights, I would have won with the Cyclone. The Hailstorm is comparable to this experience.

The Armistice might share the same bulletdamage to the Blitz, but it spits out these bullets so incredibly fast, that it compensates for the lower base damage, just enough to kill targets that would have not died with the other SMG. Therefore, the Armistice definately comes in as my 2nd fav. SMG.
    It wouldn't be good marketing to buff the 1st gen SMG's right when the NS ones are being released. You'll just have to chuck in some SC or Certs for those....

I do hope we'll get to see NS SMG's that have higher base damage, comparable to the Cyclone.
    • Up x 1
  11. cfnz

I went Sirius over Eridani as well but I didn't try the Eridani much before hand. Having subsequently picked up a Cyclone for NC, which is amazing, I'm wondering whether the extra damage from the Eridani might have made it the better choice for me. Not that the Sirius is bad.
  12. YuanrangJA

For TR, they are bloody balanced in regards to each other. The first generation (Armistice) shreds target a little bit faster and is great with Extended mags for 40 bullets. It is the perfect hit and run weapon. The second generation (Hailstorm) is a bit slower in tearing through enemies, but with a baseline magazine of 60 bullets, it is well suited to slap an advanced laser dot sight on it and have really solid hipfire accuracy and enough ammo to handle an extended fight, but you are less likely to kill targets fast enough if you do not get the drop on them.

Personally, I think the first generation outperform the second generation with my playstyle. Still, I use both and I love the fact that they are both useful. :p
  13. Rigsta

For the VS:

1st gen = Eridani. 25-round mag (sigh), 750RPM, relatively accurate, fast reload. 143 dmg/bullet @ 6m.
    2nd gen = Sirius. 50-round mag, 845RPM, not as accurate, average reload. 125 dmg/bullet @ 6m.

The Eridani has a slightly better TTK under optimum/perfect conditions but the Sirius is much more forgiving and more likely to net you a kill on someone juking around like a breakdancer before you have to reload. It also has the highest projectile velocity of any SMG at 400m/s. Which is nice.

Personally I think the Eridani's small mag is criminal on a gun with such a high RoF, especially considering that you lose out on a forward grip or advanced laser sight if you take the extended mag.

Personally I have both but have stuck with the Sirius so far and have recently been trying it out with a forward grip to make it a bit more reliable outside of knife range. I'll switch to the Eridani once I get my Auraxium medal for the Sirius and give it a(nother) fair chance.
  14. klor

I also prefer the Cyclone to the Blitz it rewards accuracy and really penalizes laying on the trigger. Headshots drop targets quickly, the Blitz doesn't even register the high damage indicator for headshots.
  15. Justdeath1

SOE can bring the price of it down seeing as how new players need to get an smg in order to actually make this class viable in close ranged
    I didn't rule out pistol use only but pistols are not very easy to master as a primary weapon
    all smgs are very expensive cert wise (the bolt action snipers for vs and TR are 100 certs) im not saying to bring it to 100 certs but giving newer players a play style that they are losing out on if they don't buy station cash is pretty is pretty important
    shotguns now have an affordable version seeing how you don't get on by default