Tank Cannons....AP vs stock

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by notw2, Jul 10, 2013.

1. notw2

So I only tested the 2 on the Prowler. The damage Difference is minimum between the 2 cannons which make no sense to me. In the VR training room I used them both with everything maxed... They took the same amount of hits on a tank to take it out. SAME amount. So like I tested it out of the training on a friends tank whom had max side armor etc. also took him out in the same amount of hits. I think this is Stupid.
    Why in the hell would I then Waste any amount of money or certs on the AP tank cannon when the Stock is just as good?

I did find something interesting though.... the lightnings AP cannon takes one less Shot to kill a heavy tank .
  2. Cinnamon

Not really sure what you have tested here. Regular front armour with HEAT vs reinforced side armour with AP? Reinforced side is better than regular front I think.

AP shells currently do something like 30% more damage vs tanks than HEAT. And on top of that they have more velocity which makes it easier to hit with them. And a straight duel between tanks where they are both just using main cannon and hitting every shot is rare. A smaller damage bonus on the main cannon could win for you if damage is being taken from other things.
  3. Codeak

You wouldn't.
    lol.
  4. HLM

Last time I tested, AP rounds definitely made a difference of 1 or 2 shots depending on which side you hit.
    Also don't they have a faster projectile? Or maybe I'm making that up... There are websites where you can check all this stuff out (ps2calc I believe).

In any case, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to stick with AP or not. Often taking one more round to kill a tank is not much of an issue. Then there's the fact that the default HEAT is much better vs infantry (AP requiring a direct hit). But then I'm pretty good at hitting infantry with AP anyway...
  5. Ultramarine

I don't know about other factions, NC forever, but on the vanguard I pull AP when I know I'll be fighting over open ground. The AP cannon has much higher velocity, which makes it fantastic for sniping vehicles, and hitting moving targets like those harassers.
    • Up x 1
  6. Elrobochanco

They might have a faster projectile, but I don't think that's the case with the magriders version (or at least it's not very noticeable along with its hilarious arc, thing's like a tennis ball launcher).

More likely you can't trust VR. And overall AP is good but only if you are a good shot or you have a secondary gunner to pick up the possible AI slack.
  7. Van Dax

Its all bout the velocity kiddo, if you drove a mag you'd know how valuable those precious few m/s are.
  8. notw2

See i tried this...tested this at a close range...No matter what I got the same thing....Killed the tanks no matter where i hit it in the same amount of hits. The stock Cannon and AP... yes does a decent bit more but all in all from what i tested they kill in the same amount of hits. So like i ended up just keeping the stock because its like just as good....
  9. deggy

Your tests are wrong. AP typically kills in 1-2 shots less than HEAT does from every side. It's also pretty much mandatory for Magriders that want to go up against other tanks. It equalizes their damage with the Vanguard's HEAT.
  10. Hauser

I've experimented with AP/HEAT combos for the Prowler. At this point I'm only using AP situationally, when I have a good hunch I'll run into lots of enemy armor. Otherwise, giving up the infantry-murdering potential of HEAT is simply too big a drawback for normal usage.

For lightning, I'm only using HEAT these days.
  11. Compass

When you need that kill shot, you need that kill shot.
  12. KAHR-Alpha

AP to the face!
  13. PyroPaul

10 shots from prowler HEAT to kill magrider/prowler frontal armor, 12 to kill vanguard.
    8 shots from prowler AP to kill a magrider/prowler frontal armor, 9 to kill vanguard.

as a general rule of thumb, it takes 1 less volley to kill something with AP then HEAT.
  14. rayvon

Like the chap up above I only really use it if I know there are going to be a boatload of tanks, otherwise il just stick to stock.
  15. Stealth1

I used to think the same, that HEAT was well balanced and there was no need for AP or HE.

However, once I tried AP I've never looked back and its my default loadout. The extra velocity and damage are a real difference maker on the battlefield, especially when you flank tank columns from a distance. Plus it feels more rewarding direct OHK'ing infantry, especially headshots :)

Now the HE on the other hand, which I just recently acquired, is highly situational and not worth the drawbacks imo.
  16. Turdas

HEAT is real effective at the moment while HE is not very good in comparison, but in saying that the AP is absolutely ownage vs tanks and in some cases people elusively use AP and rely on their gunner and direct hits to kill infantry, doing this allows you to lose very little fights as a skilled driver.
  17. rayvon

Yea I must admit i dont find it any harder to kill infantry with either tbh, maybe I should just keep the AP on all the time.
  18. Pat Cleburne

I use AP pretty much exclusively and have had many debates with my outfit about it. I haven't tested in awhile, but it used to take 1 less shell to destroy armor. The main thing I like about AP is that I generally play ranged and with The AP velocity bonus and level 4 deploy perks the prowler wrecks armor and air if you have the elevation.

Also sniping infantry with it is therapeutic

A couple of weeks ago I gave a clinic to one of my outfit mates where I went almost 100/0 with an AP prowler against a vanu Zerg. I killed so many pieces of armor I had to resupply 3 times and I have 93 rounds a reload. Haha
  19. Nhilys

OP must be doing something horribly wrong with his tests.
    Just tested it myself with a prowler:
    On a mag/prowler it takes 8/7/4 (front/side/rear) hits with an AP cannon, 10/9/6 with HEAT
    On a vanguard, 9/8/5 with AP, 12/11/6 with HEAT
    Even with reinforced armor, the differences would still be here.
    • Up x 1