[Suggestion] EMP Launcher

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by R3volutionist, Jul 9, 2013.

1. R3volutionist

I had this idea for a weapon, and maybe it could be launcher or maybe it could be something the infiltrator get as either an ability to hack a vehicle or a piece of equipment to plant on a vehicle much like you plant c4 on a vehicle. Possibly both.

This could be very useful against harassers considering many people are starting to use them in battle more than you see tanks and a good harasser can be much harder to deal with than a tank. Or just something cool to give squads a better coordination tactic as well as the infiltrators an added use.

If this weapon hit a vehicle or was detonated on a vehicle and caused it to stop moving for x amount of seconds. Obviously as a launcher you are replacing your rocket launcher with this non lethal EMP launcher, maybe it'd be lethal if you hit an aircraft and caused it to crash, but with no lock on this would be much more difficult. This could disable the vehicle from escaping or stopping it in it's tracks so it could be finished off. Obviously the person taking this is making a sacrifice of destruction for added utility. You could even add a vehicle upgrade to make it so it resists the EMP a little making movement speed decreased but not stopped 100%.

What are your thoughts on this? I don't really see a problem with it being OP, just think it's a cool idea, especially for the infiltrator who really don't have any anti-vehicle ability.
    • Up x 2
  2. R3volutionist

Also it might be cool if you could use it on a deployed AMS and it would disable spawning for the amount of time it was active.
    • Up x 3
  3. Ghost_Leader

Oh,boy.This would be so useful against Magriders.But the EMP effect shouldn't stack up if there are several people with EMPs or then the said venicle will never move again.There should probably be a little cooldown before you could be EMP'd again.
  4. Stadulator

Well congrats on "discovering" a PS1 weapon.

All grenade launches, specifically The Pounder, had the capability of firing EMP grenades. Players (just as infiltrators currently have) had the ability to use them also.

While they did not stack, if you had two or three guys throwing them at any vehicle (not just magriders TRboi) including BFR's it would disable their guns. All you had to do is wait a couple of seconds after the first one landed.

Note, BFRs would also see a reduction in movement speed, which would allow a single player with two decimators in inventory to take it down. Don't believe all the BS about BFR;s being unstoppable, because they were easy to kill if you learned how to do it.
  5. Bill Hicks

So NO, there wasnt a rocket launcher with emp abilities in ps 1 ?
  6. Scaronn

I have played a little bit in PlanetSide 1.
    In it any player has inventory (size depends on suit he use) and he can fill it as he want.
    Both of weapons has 2+ tips of rounds. For Thumper (revolver-type GL) it's frag, plasma and EMP grenades, for example.
    So, in PS1 any launcher can get an EMP possibilities, if it loaded with EMP rounds.
  7. Takoita

You mean Thumper with different ammo types? Hellz yeah!

I'm a bit hesitant about giving it to HA. Although if other classes could get access to its function via UBGL (and something for Infiltrators too, even if just adjusting the functionality of already existing EMP grenades), then why not?
  8. Stadulator

Thumper had 3 ammo types. Regular grenade, plasma grenade and EMP grenade and iirc it was usable by any class except for infiltrator
  9. Stadulator

it wasn't a "rocket launcher", it was a medium range grenade launcher. Watch Predator when they're attacking the drug dealers.

Do we need yet another "rocket" launcher in game?
  10. R3volutionist

I played PS1 so I didn't discover anything or unaware of the thumper. I wondered where the thumper was the same way I wondered where the harasser was at the PS2 launch. You could implement the the thumper, with three different types of ammo that you cert in and change from in inventory load out, like ammo attachments HVA & SPA. I wouldn't mind a thumper that would replace your rocket launcher, and maybe if people think there are too many rocket launchers then the thumper would be better. But I thought about balancing issues, it would definatly change the game if HA's could just blast grenades everywhere, maybe give it to another class? But HA is the only class with two primary weapons. Which is why I thought of just a launcher that shot an EMP blast, or a C4 EMP charge that infiltrators could use on vehicles.
  11. hansgrosse

I don't know if any of you played Frontlines: Fuel of War back in the day, but I had absolutely INSANE amounts of fun with the EMP launchers in that game. There was nothing quite so rewarding as pinging a helicopter (or even a jet with a little luck) with an EMP rocket and watching it fall out of the sky and explode.

If this will recreate that fun in this game, then the idea gets all my yes!
  12. R3volutionist

No I never played it, but it sounds basically what I was thinking. I mean you're not doing damage to vehicles just simply disabling them. And if you have the skill to hit an aircraft without lock on then I think it would be a cool reward to see it fall from the sky. Even as a pilot, you're making the ejection seat more useful or you have that fun of flying and all your sensors go off as the engine does and you nosedive to the ground possibly with enough time to pull up.