SOAS-20 Scout Rifle Review

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ned, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ned

Did a review of the rifle after a lot of months with it

What do you guys think of the SOAS-20 And scout rifles?

TL-DR - Came to the conclusion that they are for the most part ineffective weapons and not worth buying
    • Up x 1
  2. SinMachine

I do not like it at all
    It only good at shooting stand still targets
    But then you better of with bolt action for that
  3. Ned

Thats what I found, some people seem to do really well with it but they are few and far between
  4. LT_Latency

I thought the point of the gun was to be a longer range SMG.
  5. G3arfried

I used to go on rampages with the artemis till i realized i still did better with a bolt action. The scout rifles are not worth a single cert. Because if you want long range then you get bolt action if you want mid range you get the iron sight bolt action or semi auto. For CQC you can get smgs so scout rifles have nothing going on.
  6. Luighseach

It was the SMG before SMGs. It was the only real choice for CQC infiltrators before SMGs. Then SMGs came out and no one used them anymore.
  7. WarpNaccele

I love my Nyx(VS semi-auto scout rifle), just being able to decloak and take out a bastard in 3 body shots is amazing.
  8. Flashtirade

ASRs are pretty much worthless since SMGs came out.
    The semis are decent, but a short-range BAS can cover that range too.
  9. MrMurdok

Agreed on most points, the SOAS is a bland gun, it doesn't have a particular range where it really shines. However, used with the Infiltrator's stealth ability, you can get into situations and positions that different classes cannot, and then the gun shines, because you can drop tragets without having to get into Banzai SMG range.

I personally roll it with a 1x, Compensator and Laser, negating most of the weapon's bad traits to make as well-rounded as possible in the 'longer-than-SMG-shorter-than-LMG' range option, and was able to drop targets with about half a clip. I does take a while to get used to, but you get the hang of "When should I stop firing and then resume" to make sure bad guys die.

It gets a 6/10 from me for being a good all-rounder, with proper attachments anyway, a better choice than the HSR-1, which is just demolished in its own weapon catagory by cheaper, deadlier guns.
  10. Liberty

The review for the SOAS -20 was spot on. Pre SMG days it was pretty much the only option you had for 10-30 M's for infiltrators (Not meant for close range hipfire, but ADS at short range) Its pretty much obsolete at this point as you are better off taking the low scope semi auto (or bolt action) for medium to medium-long range and SMG's are amazing in CQC.

I also happened to watch your review of the mini chain gun. Again well put, its a fun weapon that lets you put down some serious fire at 800 RPM with a 200 round clip but mostly its a novelty. Unfortunately I'd wager at least 2/3rds of my kills happen before the gun ever spins up to its max ROF but it is satisfying when it does. Something worth nothing is its the only gun that does well to clearly paint a picture of the expanding CoF as you continue to fire it. Sadly when you do "burst" fire it you have to let it ramp back up all over again.

The other thing I'd mention is it now has a pretty large first shot recoil and possibly (not 100% sure) a bit more horizontal side to side recoil so its definitely limited to medium range.

Oh! And I don't know if many others have noticed this but running the game on high settings the chaingun will sometimes create a cloud of what looks like smoke/dust coming out of the barrels that does well to obscure your target.