Medics punished for using Nanoweave Armor?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by TheKhopesh, Jun 20, 2013.

1. DarkInnocence

This is, btw, logically incorrect. If you did not have NW5 on, you would be dead in the first barrage without any chance of healing. And when you take the amount of damage in the second pass with NW5 on, you would STILL only use 50% of your ability to regen that health. So this statement is completely false. You are just simply taking less damage so your regen is faster.

If you make the change, medics will be better compared to other classes when they use nanoweave. They have a passive ability that regens health much more quickly when they have nanoweave 5 on which may allow them to survive a bullet. This will create an imbalance unless you make the ability cost resources like kits. However, making nanoweave reduce damage solves this problem.

It doesnt matter if kits regen at percentages. All classes have access to them so there is no imbalance. Also, it costs resources. Applicator affects other players not yourself. Heal grenade affects other players and yourself. If it affects others, it will not help you survive a bullet and the heal grenade costs resources like kits.
    • Up x 1
  2. IamnotAmazing

so I have both flak and nanoweave 5, does the extra aoe heal by using flak outway the extra health nanoweave 5 gives you? I seem to live longer with nanoweave even if it does punish me for using it
  3. iPervy

Just to note, it takes longer to heal someone with nanoweave armor because they have more health. So really it effects every class wanting to get healed not just the medic.
  4. TheKhopesh

I don't feel comfortable saying one way or another. It is situational.
    If you plan on having ESFs blasting at you with unguided missiles, then Flak is a better option.
    Alternatively, if you're just fighting infantry, chances are you'll be taking little to no flak damage, in which case the extra 50% HP is the clear choice.

Flak 5 takes 50% less damage from flak.

NW 5 gives 50% more hp.
    Hp being only half of your protective layering, this means it makes your total go from 1,000 (combine HP and shields) to 1,250 units of protection.

So you get 50% protection from flak for both shields and HP, or 25% extra all around protection (Which does not regenerate without medical assistance of some kind).

I feel these two are even benefits, which is why I am upset that the self-heal device takes longer (And more energy) when you choose one of those benefits over the other.

Keep in mind, every other class can choose one or the other, with NO negative effects.
    While Medics choose one or the other, but if they use Nanoweave, they currently have to burn through the meter of their ability more (And wait longer).
    So if SOE thought the two benefits were equal, why do medics alone suffer less efficiency in one of their primary defining characteristics?
  5. DarkInnocence

TheKhopesh. You probably did not read my post or did not understand it so I will explain it more clearly.

Nanoweave 5 - 500 Shield, 750 Health
    Flak 5 - 500 for both

If you receive 990 damage, you will have 260 health left and 490 health less than max with nanoweave equipped or 10 health and 490 health less than max with flak equipped.
    According to you, you will take longer to regenerate this health with nanoweave 5 but this is not true. If (for example) regen heals at 100 per second, it will take 4.9 seconds for both as despite the usage of flak or nanoweave, you will only need to regen 490 for both suits.

If you receive 1240 damage, you will have 10 health left and 740 health less than max with nanoweave but if you use flak, you will be dead leaving no chance to heal back.
    In this case, regen will take 7.4 seconds, 2.5 seconds longer to regen. But if you did not use nanoweave, you will be dead. This shows that nanoweave usage does not lengthen the time it takes to regen health only that you have more health to regen

If this free ability is affected by nanoweave, the usage of nanoweave will further boost the advantages of nanoweave for only medics making the game unbalanced. This means that if this change is implemented, all classes will receive more health from nanoweave and the medic will be able to regen more health more quickly with its ability and tank shots faster. This adds a buff to medics that is unneeded and just wrong.

Also, kits cost resources and are universal. Healing grenades affect not just the user and costs resources. Medic gun affects only others.
  6. IamnotAmazing

ok cool thanks for the info
  7. Psykmoe

I guess I don't feel like having an extra 250 hp is particularly punishing.
  8. Being@RT

Just thought I'd put on a simple bit of math here, using numbers you supplied.
    700/500 = 1.4 = 40% increase in health, but only 28.571% longer regen time. Regen per second is thus increased by 40/28.571 = 1.4 = 40%

750/500 = 1.5 = 50% increase in health, but only 33.333% longer regen time. Regen per second increased by 50/33.333 = 1.5 = 50%.

In other words: the medic regen per second increases proportionately to Nanoweave level, if those numbers you supplied are correct.
  9. TheKhopesh

You are correct.
    For some reason I based the "33.333%" part assuming NW5's 750 was the standard, and that the base 500 was the updated number.
    Thanks for pointing this out.

It should read 50% longer, rather than only 33.333%.
  10. TheKhopesh

Here is a video I made comparing the times it takes to fill the HP bar both with and without the extra 250 HP (Using the max level self heal).

Please note that I did encounter a small amount of lag (But it was uniform, so the under-lapping of the regen is equal for both) while making this video.
    As a direct result of this, I heal until my HP is full, and then cut off the nanite useage. With the lag, a small portion of HP shows as not being healed when I stop it's activity.

This does not affect the accuracy (much) of my test.
    What little inconsistency it causes only airs on the side of caution (Meaning the negative effects of which I speak are actually worse than this video depicts. Though by a fairly minuscule amount).

Please take note of the nanite consumption difference, as well as the time difference.
    There is a difference of well over a second, possibly two seconds.

It may not appear to be much, but it's quite detrimental in battles that hinge on actions that can take place within time periods around 0.05 seconds.
  11. DarkInnocence

Sigh. I guess you really do not bother to read my post. I no longer care about the crap that you are saying but I still have to tell you something in order not to mislead the idiots who read these forums.

Nanoweave 5 gives you 250 more health so you will be able to survive 25% more damage
    Regen Ability regens a set amount (for example 100 per second) so the only reason you take longer to regen is because you have more health
    This means that any weapon will be able to kill you with 1 bullet as long as you had 1 health before activation of ability

TheKhopesh is saying that you should regen by percentage (e.g. 10% per second) so that you will not take longer to regen no matter the health.
    This means that with Nanoweave 5, you will regen at 125 health per second allowing you to survive 1 more bullet from a 143 damage weapon at max range if you only had 1 health before hand. This buffs the medic where it is not needed.

Thus, Nanoweave 5 is still amazing and is in no way a punishment