I know AMD CPU's have a tough time with PS2 but this bad...?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NormClavin, Jul 5, 2013.

1. NormClavin

I just started playing the game last week and my frame rate will drop down to 15 in big battles.
    System Specs:
    AMD phenom II x965 OC'd to 3.8Ghz
    Radeon 7870
    8GB RAM

I have changed the values in the useroptions.ini file, unparked cores, tried Radeon Pro, Game Booster.....

Is there anything else I can try? Does anyone else have similar specs and results?
  2. Mauller

did you change the flip queue for planetside 2 to 1? in large battles i tend to get 24 - 30 fps and i have the same specs as you pretty much except i have a 955 at 3.2ghz which i clock to 3.7 but even then i still get 24 - 30fps most of the time.

i also have superfetch didabled if that helps at all, i know it makes my system more responsive and less HDD thrashing.

my game settings are motion blur disabled and everything on medium with 1500 view distance at 1920x1080
  3. NormClavin

I have the flip queue set to 2, the guide someone posted said set it to 1 or 2. I'll change it to 1 and disable superfetch. Thanks for the reply
  4. Curse_Gamerkin

I got a gtx570oc
    and a AMD 955 be oc to 3.6
    8gb ram
    I get 25fps at lowest, 30 whenever anyones around, 50-60 warpgate.
  5. ChadJust

I'm running a very similar system.
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE OC 4.0Ghz
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 2Gb
    8Gb RAM

Try this settings:

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1000.000000
    Gamma=0.490000
    MaximumFPS=122
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=0
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=0
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=1
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    ParticleLOD=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VerticalFOV=74
    AO=0

Unparked the cores and oc'ed my radeon a bit.
    I usually dont drop below 30fps. around techplants/ampstations and in real huge battles it happens that i get around 25~30fps, but its playable. also it depends on the updates they release. after GU10 i never dropped below 30, that changed with GU11, i hope they will work on otimizing the game for AMD users
  6. LibertyRevolution

AMD x6 1090t here, these are my performance settings:

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=-1
    Gamma=0.400000
    MaximumFPS=120
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=3
    ParticleLOD=0
    MotionBlur=0
    AO=0
    GpuPhysics=0
    VerticalFOV=74
    UseLod0a=0

Looks like this:

Report back your FPS with these settings.

If your still in the teens with these settings, your going to have to turn shadows off completely.
  7. Kodaa

I refuse to use settings like this. I'm running a 660ti and an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE OC'd to 4GHz. I cannot go from 60 FPS in ultra BF3 and Metro: Last Light to maybe 35 FPS in PS2 on low *** settings that make me feel like I'm playing BF 1942.
    • Up x 1
  8. LibertyRevolution

An i5 3570k overclocked at 4.2ghz has to have shadows disabled to get 30-35fps in a 48+v48+ battle in a biodome...
    Nothing is going to give you 60fps in a major battle in this game running on high, it just isn't going to happen.
  9. Kriptyc

I changed my settings from lowest possible to a mix of high and medium and I get better fps with my system. Im not running anything special but it seems as I run the settings higher it shifts the load to the GPU instead of the CPU.
  10. Van Dax

fx-8150 overclocked to 4.5ghz and I'm doing much better than non oc'd, about 45-60 in combat areas on ultra (shadows disabled and gpu physics disabled and effects on medium)
    also gtx 660 ti
    16Gb ram @1600 9-9-9-24
    solid state HD dedicated to planetside.
  11. Tommyp2006

Sorry but you're going to have to find another game to play, or stay out of major combat areas. This game has far more computations in large battles to make than either of the games to mention, it's a much more complex game. Where bf3 could have 64 players spread out over a 1 sq km map, this game can have 64 players packed onto a landing pad. So if you can't handle an fps drop into the 30s, you need to find another game, or upgrade your rig a bit. BF3 is really a pretty easy game to run in comparison to this
    I have similar setup as yours except I run an AMD 6950 and a 6100 instead of an 8100. Overclocking past 4ghz massively helped me out as well, running on 4.3 ghz right now and it's great. Overclocking is almost a necessity for running ultra smoothly for this game.
    • Up x 1
  12. Lavans

This game isn't very GPU intensive. Most mid range graphics cards of the previous two generations can easily run this at high/ultra between 50-60+ fps if it wasn't for the netcode and cpu bottleneck. On my 4.5GHz i5 2500k, I rarely see my FPS hit higher than the low 50's with nearly all settings on low, render distance to 1000, and textures on ultra. Don't expect a magic patch that'll give you a 30-50% performance boost. It's just not going to happen. Your best bet is to tweak what you have or upgrade to a Broadwell (or later) when they release.

In the mean time, refer to this guide. It's highly constructive and shows you what settings matter.
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/planetside-2-tweak-guide#1
    Also, lowering the audio channels in the sound options has the potential to increase performance in large battles.
    Hope it helps.
  13. dBMachine

Phenom II 720
    4 gig RAM
    Radeon 4890

15 fps or worse in super populated fights. That's just the way it is. It sucks
  14. NC_agent00kevin

I have a hard time believing anyone with a Phenom II is getting more than 20fps in huge fights. I have a Phenom II x4 @ 4.06 Ghz, GTX 560, 8 GB RAM, W7 64 and go down to 15fps at times. Unless you're screaming at 5ghz, I just dont see it.
  15. Zcuron

If I recall correctly, these are the settings which impact CPU usage the most; (ranked, descending)
    1. Shadows. (low/off for more FPS - may need to restart your computer (I had some issues making it take effect)
    2. Flora. (low/off for more FPS)
    3. Lightning. (medium//low for more FPS)
    4. Textures. (ultra for more FPS)
    5. The rest should be safe to max out, assuming your GPU can take it.

Exceptions;
    1. PhysX - don't turn this on, it can apparently still crash the game~~
    2. Fog Shadows - "seems" to be mainly GPU intensive, but these won't work if shadows are off.
    (I've also heard that they don't work with shadows on low, so...)

Note: my "explanations" are not necessarily correct for the following reasons;
    1. My sources could have been wrong.
    2. I could have misunderstood the source.
    3. I could remember incorrectly what the source said;

In any case, here's what I've heard;
    1. The CPU needs to calculate where the shadows will fall, hence the CPU load.
    2. The GPU needs to know where to render objects (including shadows) - having the CPU instruct it takes... CPU power.
    4. The non-ultra settings compress the files to memory, this takes CPU power - ultra loads them raw and therefore doesn't need much CPU power, though it will use more memory.
  16. NC_agent00kevin

What is this 'flip queue' and how do I change it? I wrote one of the first few settings tuts but did not know anything about this.