Bypassing hack detection on PS2.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TheRealMetalstorm, Jul 5, 2013.

1. TheRealMetalstorm

I'm currently writing a internet radio browser for myself.
    I'd like to be able to control it while it isn't the active window.
    The usual way to do so would be a low-level global keyboard hook, listening for KeyDown events from user32 API.

[IMG]
    This is my program.

I've already got it to cycle between saved radio stations with ctrl + mediabuttons.next/previous or return to home station with ctrl + mediabuttons.home, volume controls, etc etc, without the main form being in focus/visible.

But unfortunately, I don't know if PS2's hack detection is overzealous. I don't wish to have my account flagged just because I chose to listen to internet radio while driving a sunderer across the desert flats. I would assume this might be "detected" as a potential "keylogger" since it's listening for keystrokes.

Any and all dev's (like, actual dev's, not PR team's vague) input would be very welcome.
  2. SharpLight

Those guys are over on Twitter/Reddit they don't come to the official forum.
    • Up x 1
  3. TheRealMetalstorm

i doubt i'd get a reply there... aren't they swamped with hysterical 12 year olds fawning over..
    .. wait, i forgot, this is PS2, there are no fanboys

good idea
  4. Gamertech

Windows Media Player with any keyboard with media controls will do the job fine
  5. TheRealMetalstorm

.pls read
    (i just made a horribly lame pun, but in all seriousness, read before you open your trap, it will solve 99% of the problems on this forum)
  6. Gamertech

Please don't be a ******** and actually try thinking for yourself for a change. WMP (or any other media player of your choice) with a playlist of internet radio .m3u's will work fine and can be safely controlled while in PS2 from a media enabled keyboard without risk of being banned.

There's no need to create a radio browser that would be controlled by potentially hazardous macros when what you are after has been freely available for many years...
  7. SharpLight

From what I've seen a brown nose will definitely get you a reply, expressing concern on the direction of the game and coming up with good ideas to improve the game for the long-term player will get you nowhere.
    • Up x 1
  8. TheRealMetalstorm

• Full-size players are bloatware
    • Full-featured programs have tons of functions I will never use - bloatware
    • Full-featured programs have bugs I can't fix - sh!tware
    • Coding is fun and develops abstract thinking skills.
    • I write all my own tools - calculator, "paint" equivalent, file browser.
    So, back on topic:
    Any developer comments on whether it's ok with PS2's cheat detection to use a global hook?
    I can technically figure out for myself with some sandboxing of ps2's exe but if I have to go that far just to find out if I'm safe, I'll just use the damn hook and assume it's fine.