[Suggestion] Conquering bases in "real time".

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vanus Aran, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Vanus Aran

You know the only reason why your empire owns a hex and not one of the other two is simply -> because THEY cannot spawn there anymore. Only your empire can.
    As long as your empire can spawn there, your empire can defend the base. As long as they can spawn there, they can draw troops together to attack another base near to it.

So I thought why acting as if some kind of invisible capturetimer is important, if all that is really important is to rob the enemy empire from its Spawnpoint?
    If we agree and there is some kind of Nanite-supercomputer in each outpost, sending ressources to the network of conquered hexes, then wouldnt it make sense to put this supercomputer in the spawnbuilding?

I know this idea im about to post will totally invalue my former one that I think off as totally brilliant *"thehee"* ^^
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...possibility-to-decrease-capturetimers.134945/
    but maybe this too is worth the thought.

Now that SOE made some Spawnbuildings shields fall out before the base switched empires, the illusion of the unreasonable invulnerable and totally unpenetrable wonderroom is gone. I knew this room was against all reason anyway but... well... I didnt care. You didnt cared too, right?

But now the Spawnroom becomes more of an actualy part of the base.
    Meaning it can be conquered and taken out of action. And after all -> if that room falls, the base truly falls.
    Conquered only means that YOUR pawns are walking the architecture, not the one's you wanted to drive out.

Suggestion:

Make it so that the Spawnroomshields are powered by a generator somewhere in the base. You can overheat it... resulting in a countdown of 2 minutes, or an Infiltrator can hack it, resulting in a countdown of only 50 seconds. Of course with decreased hackingtime too, if certed. <3

If this generator is destroyed, you can enter the Spawnroom that is still working, you must go to the upper floor or use the energylift and there -> switch the empires Software with your own.
    As you notice this implies that the cheap and little Spawnbuildings get an energyshield for the roofsection too. Making it easier to defend. As it currently is, little Spawnbuildings are way to easy to camp.

Where the difference is? Capturetimer replaced with Overheating-timer/Hacking-Timer?
    The difference would be that you have to run directly into the Lions den and capture the base truly through an action, instead of just stupidly staying around and doing nothing.
    The supercomputers timer would be similar to the SKE-one's. Not affected by decreased hackingtimer and once you turned it around, BAM - the base is your instantly.
    There will be XP for everyone in reach but also a XP only for the guy doing it.

Also:
    Small bases got 1 generator.
    Mediumseized bases 2 generators and one is behind a shield that only falls out after the first gen was destroyed.
    And the big bases will have 4 generators. Every gen deactivating a shield to make another gen accessable.

Who was it again who said Infiltrators are no class amounting to team-action?
    As you notice if Infiltrators hack the Gens instead of someone else simply overheating them, the capturetimers would be decreased dramatically.
    50 seconds x 4 means you can conquer even a Biolab/Techplant/AMP-Station in just 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

Infiltrators by themself are weak of course. They can deceive hostile eyes and help allys eyes out on the minimap, but in most cases they wont defeat another Soldiers. Especially if those guard the Gens beforehand. They need help.

The biggest difference of this suggestion is that is supports individual actions and makes players less dependent on big troopmovements. But if the suggestion in another one of my threads is taken into account and you only invade furhter into enemy territory if you are not disconnected...
    ... then that means you are still dependent on the help of other players and the overall population.
    Of course this idea supports an aware state of mind and people paying attention to the map.
    But everything not giving an alternative to the BOOOOOOORING long capturetimers is good.
    Add action and constant movement to the game in any way possible!

I like the idea with the many small computers more, in the thread I linked more at the beginning of the post.
    But what I not like is the fact that players cannot actively do anything against the Spawnroom.
    Sometimes its shields fall out, sometimes not - somehow related to the SKE.
    Standing around doing nothing really and looking at the capturetimers is annyoing.
  2. KAHR-Alpha

TLDR: mechanism designed to shaft defenders once again.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vanus Aran

I made a few errors with the links before but now its fixed.

What are you saying?
    This puts the defenders at a disadvantage or something?
  4. KAHR-Alpha

Such a short time doesn't allow one to call for reinforcements, or to regroup and launch a counter attack before the base is captured.
    • Up x 2
  5. WaiZen

The best way to make people defend bases is to give exp rewards for defending. It's really rare that support comes in to defend the bases... They'll just wait and get the bases after its been capped.
  6. Phyr

They already get defender bonus. A good defense will net far more exp then a single 10 minute ghostcap.
  7. KAHR-Alpha

The platoons I usually play with launch emergency counter attacks on large facilities several times every evening.
  8. Vanus Aran

This is why I say people dont pay any attention to the map.
    If I see an enemy frontline moving in the direction of a big base, do I need to see the obvious and a timer starting to run?

No - I know where I have to go. Actually this would reward people scouting the region with ESF.
    Information-warfare is really not developed in this game.
  9. xen3000

So spawn shield camping will be exchanged for spawn tube camping?

This just sounds like a promotion for a more attack-centric design where bases exchange hand rapidly again. I'd rather have more things for Engineers to do to buff defense that can be countered by Infiltrator/light-assault sabotage. This would give players something to actively do while capping/assaulting and not remove the consistent cap times the Devs just implemented.