[Tool Release] Short on Resources? Solution (kinda)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRealMetalstorm, Jun 30, 2013.

1. TheRealMetalstorm

afk.exe
    DL link here (mediafire)

--Important--
    > This release isn't a hack
    > It does not interface with Planetside 2's executable in any manner
    (actually, it does; it looks through your live process list to see if planetside2.exe is running, for the "auto-exit when ps2 is closed" feature to work - that's all)

target OS: windows 7
    required API: .NET framework 4 (I actually don't remember, cbf checking my compiler settings now)

Anyway, now that that is done with:
    I decided to release a little thing that I made for myself, to the community - hopefully it helps somebody out there.
    I've been 40/40 for c4, mines, nades for a long time thanks to this.
    I can still pull maxes fine with this, since I don't spend on nades/c4/mines during playtime.

[IMG]

Here's how the story goes:
    I don't spend much of my computer time on PS2 itself, so instead of closing PS2, I leave it minimized and go back every 5mins to un-afk my toon and collect resources for that tick.

since Sound/Text alerts can be toggled at will, I rarely close PS2; if I don't want to be disturbed every 5min, I just toggle off the reminders. Eventually I wrote a bit more code to un-afk myself automatically so I can stay undisturbed while collecting resources. I don't think I want to release that version though.

[IMG]

Ever since the resource revamp, however, I've been using this program more and more. I'm now at 40/40 for most consumables, and managing to pull MAXes when I want to during playtime - my c4/mines/nades are replenished when I'm not playing.

[IMG]

Hope this helps some of you guys out there!
    I never intended anyone but myself to use this, so there is NO error handling in this. fyi. don't put letters where numbers should be, don't make logically contradictory inputs like having urgentBeepTime > warnBeepTime.

=======================================================================
    Jsyk there's nothing funny in the program,
    partial source here: http://pastebin.com/yUM0z77P
    online file scanner here (good link to keep in mind btw): https://www.virustotal.com/en/

--Important--
    > This release isn't a hack
    > It does not interface with Planetside 2's executable in any manner
    (actually, it does; it looks through your live process list to see if planetside2.exe is running, for the "auto-exit when ps2 is closed" feature to work - that's all)

NOTE: I will NOT be releasing the version that un-afks your toon automatically for several reasons:
    • I think it probably is against the TOS to release something like that
    • The ring 0 device drivers I wrote for my personal version are written by myself and, are very, very specific to my hardware setup (for various reasons I don't intend to mention here).
    • will probably BSOD your machine on boot if you tried installing the drivers anyway
    How to use:
    I wrote this for my own personal use, so it might be a little confusing i guess...
    Main window:
    Resource timer: How long between resource ticks. 300s = 5min = current PS2 default. Don't touch!
    Warning Time: At how many seconds left do you want to have a text balloon reminder pop up? DO NOT SET TO ZERO, LOL. It'll trigger a glitch. I never intended anyone but myself to use this, so there is NO error handling in this.
    Current time left: Whatever you see when you press TAB - 3m 22s = 3*60s + 22s = go figure. Minutes to seconds should be easy enough to do quickly.
    ***Arrows (UP/DOWN): Adjust the number displayed on afk.exe to match the numbers displayed in the TAB screen. You only need to do this once, when you first run afk.exe. After that, it'll follow along perfectly fine. PS2 counts down with your system clock, and so does afk.exe. So you won't get a situation where one is half a second ahead of the other, for example. You'll get the hang of it. If you really can't, use alt+enter in planetside 2 to put it in windowed mode so you can have them side-by-side. Just play around with these two buttons and you'll get it.
    Everything else doesn't need to be touched if you don't know what it does.
    If you find it useful, good for you i guess, enjoy.
    Stupid resource revamp. I'll share what I have.
  2. Ravenorth

Seems pretty good, since I often wait for resources while being afk at the warpgate, but are you sure that SOE wont recognize this this as somekind of cheat program since you have to run it alongside with the game?
  3. TheRealMetalstorm

it's as much of a hack as an alarm clock on your table that goes off every 5 minutes is a hack, lol
  4. phreec

Betas Auraxium AFK warpgate leeching is back. :p
  5. TheRealMetalstorm

lmao as i speak i'm filling my tank mine stock
  6. TeknoBug

I stopped at afk.exe, I tend to not download exe's. I remember the BS that happened on WoW forums years ago once Blizzard opened up UI/data modding for the game.

But yes the lack of resources coming back is extremely annoying, I lost 2 harassers due to bad terrain by flipping it and tried flying only to be rammed by a friendly Lib so I stayed on foot and spent all my infantry resources on grenades and C4. It took about an hour to get from 62 resources back to ~700. There should be a timer to at least reset the resources back to 750 after 12-24 hours, usually when you login the next day, right now if you dried up your resoureces the night before and logged then you still have that dried up resources when you login the next day at the warpgate.

PS- I have 3 mo. sub with tier 6 bonus (300% XP).
    • Up x 1
  7. TheRealMetalstorm

Idk, there's nothing funny in it, it's a tool i made for myself originally, but decided to release it without some features, since the recent resource revamp has been quite a *****

heh idk i knew people would doubt executable files.
    want the source to compile it yourself?

I'm doing my best to help the community, lol
  8. KlyptoK

This is interesting, but unnecessary.

All you have to do is step out of the warpgate building, point yourself at a rock, wall or obstacle, press the = sign on your keyboard and then minimize the game and play Forumside.
  9. TheRealMetalstorm

AFAIK that stops giving you resources after a few ticks,
    but you're 100% correct that this is rather pointless without the overnight-afk functionality that I took out (probably not in alignment with TOS)
  10. Orosian

I've just been fighting solely in infantry zones, even missing out on alerts, so I could get more infantry resources. It makes the game no fun at all, and it has put me right off playing MAXes.

SOE, I hope you read this thread and realise you have a big problem with this game when people are having to resort to things like this.
    • Up x 1
  11. KlyptoK

This is basically what the game feels like now:

• You want to fly aircraft? You need to fly only here in these designated areas.
    • Tanks? Only over here.
    • Infantry? Just in these places.

Totally does not. I consistently maximize the game later and have 750 by the end.
  12. TheRealMetalstorm

oh, cool!

Might try to integrate it into my personal version and replace the auto-unafk every 5min with your method
    i'll see how it goes, it depends on whether it'll trigger too many serverside flags for repetitive behaviour or not.

thanks for the tip!

i enjoy waking up to 40/40 c4 lmao
  13. Orosian

So far I haven't had many problems with air and tanks. They seem to recharge at a rate I can deal with. It's infantry resources I'm having trouble with. When I'm running infantry: pull a MAX here, need some C4 there, drop some mines there, need to throw a grenade there... and then I need a lot of infantry resources. And the amount of killing I have to do, in solely infantry zones, seems like much more of a grind than air and tank resources.
    • Up x 1
  14. Garbageman

I'm giving it a try now. Hopefully my character won't somehow slide off the unclimbable slope I'm stuck on and run across the map to his death. :)
    I would greatly prefer that there be a slow drip of resources for all your characters while you're not logged in, so that if you log in a day later, you're back to 750 across the board. Starting off the day with no resources after burning them all the day before in some big fight is totally not-fun.
  15. Elrobochanco

This might not be a hack, but I'm guessing it will be frowned upon/considered boosting. Also only idiots would download some exe to afk bot.

Also I know if someone on my team was just afking to gather resources while we needed bodies to be fighting I'd be pretty pissed at them.
  16. McChimperson

That fact that there is a use for this program is pretty good evidence SoE's resource system is just a game to be gamed.