[Suggestion] Make bases constructible and destructible, like in Starcraft

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Badname3073, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Badname3073

Basically, leave hexes in place, but remove bases from it. Instead, let the players construct their own bases to claim a hex, like in RTS games. Let them mine resources, install pylons, and stuff like that. Also terran marine bunkers. Leave it to the players to make a base layout for better defence. I think it would be fun.
  2. Primarkka

It would also take five buttloads of buttloads of work to make something like that even half-viable.
    • Up x 1
  3. Codeak

it probably would if done right

but people are casual, they dont wanna spend their 2 hours a day playtime building something they wont get to use.
  4. IamDH

This will happen in the 3year plan i beleive
    • Up x 1
  5. Kapernum

This is too complex for SOE.
  6. Badname3073

Let them go back to CoD then
  7. Codeak

thats like 90% of the PS2 player base im afraid we cant just let them go lol
  8. CrimsonDaemon

I think a better option would be to make ACE a lot more flexable. Like making spitfire turrets, tank traps, small two or three man bunkers, ect. Would definitely make for more dynamic base defense with Engineers acting more like Sappers and Combat Engineers
  9. Badname3073

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  10. Booface

Like Shadowbane.
  11. Sowahka

This is just silly. Maybe look for this in Planetside 3, but I don't think they're going to spend another $100 million on implementing something that most of the ccommunity doesn't want. Why would we spend 2 hours mining and constructing a base only to have deployed prowlers five hexes away destroy it? And then we all go to bed and the night crew destroys everything else we built.

Could the engine even support this? You're talking about remaking the whole game.
  12. TheRealMetalstorm

from what i've seen so far....
    ....you're expecting too much of SOE
  13. 13lackCats

We could ahve a lattice that would show us where to put the base!
  14. csp0811

minecraft + ps2?
  15. Angry Scientist

It wouldn't be physically possible given the goals of this game, computing technology, and the threshold for who can play the game as it is.

Widely regarded as poorly optimized or not, SOE's Planetside servers are keeping track of upwards of two thousand players, their bullets, relationship to other players placements, vehicles, countless turrets, wreckage, missiles, grenades, and mines. And I'm forgetting some.

That's a lotta crunching, and probably the reason why it's such a pain in the kiseter to get it running smoothly.

Hey, man, I get you. That'd be awesome. But it isn't the way Planetside was constructed. Just...too much work. That would be an entirely new game, with that fact as a selling point.

It would be more reasonable to allow engineers to construct walls, barriers, or turrets in pre set places so its easier to keep track of. Else you'll have an entire platoon of engineers just stacking walls on walls until the server crashes.
  16. RHINO_Mk.II

If the enemy starts winning, I'll just liftoff all my Biolabs, Tech Plants, and Amp Stations and float them to the far corners of the map.

Am I doing it right?
    • Up x 3
  17. Benton!

I thought this was an FPS, not Minecraft.

/thread
  18. Stigma

It's a nice idea - but it would require a re-work of the entire game. It would also add a lot more complexity to the game, both in the gameplay and the amount of work they need to put into constructing a framework that can deal with that level of dynamic customized content. The whole game-flow would have to be significantly different and probably a lot slower overall to warrant this sort of thing. Not all ideas that sound neat would actually fit well into a game.

Buildable customizable bases is maybe something to think about for PS3 if they end up making one - 5-6-7 years down the road. I think PS2 is going for longevity rather than the sequel-grind, and it has to be somewhat successful to warrant another game in the same vein.

That said - something that may actually be realistic to ask for is being able to suggest designs and help influence how outfit-bases look. They have many times talked about that they want to implement bases that outfits can "adopt" as their home base. Depending on how they end up putting this into the game the players may get some say into how they design these bases. It would no doubt be prefabricated though, but they may at least listen to some input or do changes to them based on player-feedback. Even this is probably a ways off though. I doubt its going to happen in any of the next couple of handfuls of gameupdates.

-Stigma
  19. Klondik3

You should try Kickstarter. No way SOE is ever gonna implement this.
  20. huller

[IMG]