The new Jackhammer (feedback)

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by TRNCVS, Jun 21, 2013.

1. TRNCVS

So I was reading the GU11 notes when it was first released and when I saw buffs to the jackhammer it already gave red flags. I thought WOW that looks crazy powerful, but decided to wait and try it on live since I don't have the time and space to download the whole game again to play on the test servers.

So the patch went live I went straight to VR to test. First I noticed the reticule had a lot smaller COF than other shotguns. I thought, wow this thing is accurate, it seemed to shoot within the circle. Automatic was similar to other shotguns... but then I tried the burst fire. Geezus. There's no chance anyone will survive in CQC against that. No weapon comes close, except maybe a decimator to the face. So I decided to not say anything and wait until I ran into someone on the field with it.

So after dying to this weapon, and watching some players just run into people with it and mow them down. I needed to at least post the obvious reasons why the buffs to this weapon just doesn't make sense, doesn't make the game fun for anyone but the person using this weapon, and doesn't balance out CQC against any other weapon.

All shotguns were for some reason nerfed in damage, I guess because it was too powerful and too easy to kill players with. IMO it came close to the SMG's. But the reason given was to bring it closer to the other CQC weapons and award more accurate gameplay. There is a balance between the pump action, it takes a good amount of time after each shot, but you only get one shot. The automatics drawback is that it's damage isn't as high as the pump and most of the time takes multiple shots. The Jackhammer removes the drawbacks of both of both of these shotguns by putting a 3 shot burst into one shot and a toggle so that you can just have it automatic.

This seems fine since this is NC's special weapon. But because this weapon can do what every shotgun can do, there is no need to have any other shotgun. It is accurate enough to compete in ranges of SMG's but its TTK will win over any SMG. The other HA weapons for the other factions were not meant to replace other options for CQC or any range yet be an effect alternate playstyle, yet the Jackhammer can replace all CQC weapons.

Because it has a burst fire and its three shots, you do not have to be as accurate as the one shot pump action shotgun. you can aim for the chest or the legs, it also doesn't spread as much and the pause between each burst is similar to that of a pump action.

I tried to see how long it would take to kill a max up close and it was an extremely quick kill especially with the increase clip size. The burst fire mode was quick but it was much quicker in automatic. Maybe a few seconds to unload the whole clip into the max and almost kill it. But I guess its the case with any shotgun with an extended clip with an increase in clip size, but the Jackhammer is already more accurate and then you add its other bonus of the burst fire for softer targets.

Now this is only with one Jackhammer, with multiple players using it, the CQC game goes back to the days before the Max nerfs to their shotguns. A few Jackhammers can deny an entrance from anyone trying to get through because no one can last more than a second running through them with that many shotguns guarding a choke.

You cant use a concussion because if they are already aiming at the entrance they do not have to aim as well, you will still get hit by a burst either in the body or legs and you will still die. You could try to rush in with a max but because the resources have increased there will be less chances to do so. The only thing I can think of is flashing the entrance.

In large battles where players load only within CQC ranges, in biolabs or small towers, this weapon becomes the go to weapon because there are no longer medium ranges in these types of battles. It is a lot easier to run up to someone and the other player does not have a chance to react or shoot back. Isn't this the reason why shotguns got a global nerf to their COF and damage?

I just needed to get some of my thoughts out on this weapon, in the mean time, I don't find the CQC much fun against this weapon as it takes less accuracy to achieve instant death. It was that way before the NC max nerfs and the pump action/auto shotguns before the nerfs when they were popular. At least then I could pull out a similar shotgun and we would be on even ground.

It is probably the accuracy along with the burst fire mode that makes this weapon too powerful. I think as a weapon alone it is very cool. But like ZOE, it's mechanics just ignores all efforts of nerfs/buffs that try to balance the game.
  2. siddar

SMG and Shotguns are different I see no reason to compare them to each other. SMG are really just infiltrator weapons that were expanded to other classes because there was no reason to not do so. Shotguns are supposed to be the best CQC weapons for HA, LA, Medic, Engineer. Jackhammer is supposed to be the best shotgun in game for NC HA.

Jackhammer is basically a three round pumpaction shotgun with a tighter CoF, more total pellets, lower per pellet damage, and lower damage drop off then a normal pumpaction. You just need to consider a three round burst as equal to a single pumpaction round. Pumpaction has higher CoF and more potential kills before reloading. Jackhammer has better range, higher total damage per burst, and lower potential kills before reloading.

CoF does seem small for a shotgun but I have a hunch that the Cof's on all three HA special weapons are the same.

Really in my view jackhammer just needs another three rounds to bring total up to 15 with extended mags then its about right.
  3. Bill Hicks

Game is patched
    Weapon buffed nerfed
    everyone uses it
    Someone dies and posts about it
  4. Hawkerased

Well, that Triple jack mode is pretty situational. And if you triple jack half misses, and it can be shoddy sometime, I've aimed straight some ppl and and watched indicator go off and it doesn't kill them, leaves them with 2 green bars of health or more. The reload on that will get you killed if your target doesn't die. If there is more than one target, you'll kill one, and die to the others if they know how to aim.

The ONLY good thing about the patch for the JH was the extended mag. The rate of fire was nerfed, the damage at ranged was nerfed, and the damage per pellet change.. So yeah....

I honestly think the old version of the Jack hammer is better.
    • Up x 1
  5. soeguud

This is why NC doesn't get nice things. TR VS dive on any coolfun stuff we get, any MINISCULE advantage, we get nerfed to the ground and they continue to maintain our stuff is decent, because they done stuff with it on VR.
  6. bloodgulge

Don't forget that VR target dummies don't use nanoweave, and are a lot easier to kill.

The jackhammer should be the best shotgun period. If it was just a sidegrade to the other shotguns, you would just buy a shotgun that can be used on all classes.
    Honestly, if you aren't carrying a shotgun yourself, and you get killed by the jackhammer, another shotgun would have done the same, just a bit slower.
    If you are carrying a shotgun... Well, reaction time will be important, but remember, you are going up against the king of shotguns.
  7. Casterbridge

I've been using the new Jackhammer, frankly I also liked it better before (well excluding the stupid recoil bug that popped up right before the latest patch) with the exception of the added ammo pool.

It performs fine in single shot mode, but the added reload is annoying when compared to the old, it's not bad per say, just liked it better before.

As far as the burst mode, I'm not a fan, yeah it can tear someone apart if you catch them unaware, however that's true of most weapons, especially cqc weapons, at the effective range of the jackhammer. However if your off, or if there is someone else nearby you can get stuck in the animation and be unable to adjust.

I do like the added ammo and it is supposed to be the signature weapon of the NC HA so I will probably use it for HA in single shot mode if the need arises.
  8. Liewec123

new jackhammer is amazing, its the king of shotguns :)
  9. R3volutionist

Bought it when the game first came out because it was my main weapon in PS1 and I figured even if it sucked now it would be buffed. Heavy weapons are supposed to great at killing people, the jackhammer is supposed to be the king of shotguns. And it finally is, used it the other night and dominated in a huge tower battle.