[Suggestion] Revert the Infil glow

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FrontTowardEnemy, Jun 22, 2013.

1. simmi1717

EVERYONE gives a rat's cat's and dog's left and right balls about being TK'd. Being TK'd is universally hated. You suggesting infils don't care is ludicrous.
  2. Aimeryan

I didn't say you did - merely that you thought that the design of the [Hunter] cloak is to help with avoiding detection rather than misidentification. Indeed, it may help infiltrators with avoiding detection to some extent (although as mentioned, it is often the opposite), but it is neither the design goal nor necessarily the most effective way to use the cloak. Instead, I was commenting that the misidentification is (or was) one of the stronger points of the cloak at close range. That has now been lost.

This leads to an identity crisis, if you will pardon the pun. The Nano-Armour cloak is better at blockade running, due to the damage resist. The new cloak (which will be modelled on the PS1 style cloak - pratically full invis, infinite duration, no primary weapon) will be better at avoiding detection. Which means there is no niche left for the Hunter cloak. Well, maybe for snipers, but not close range anyway.

The duration and fast recharge of this cloak is designed to confuse enemies more than hide the infiltrator from them or "tank" bullets. The glow implementation severely weakens this.

No, because we will find you and do it back - it is all gravy to us. Since you seem to be the one that hates being TK'ed, not us, I am sure this situation would soon resolve itself - one way or another.

We would rather suffer the occasional TK (honestly, it happens so infrequently anyway since we are more often amongst enemies or by ourselves than with friendlies) if it means we are more effective at using the Hunter cloak at closer ranges.
    • Up x 1
  3. G3arfried

So what you are saying is you dont like seeing your factions infiltrators having a glow to tell them apart from other infiltrators. Now i dont know about you but ******** team mates kill me more then the enemy when im cloaked. So no do not revert this.
  4. Thardus

Some people care less about being careful and stealthy, and would rather just take advantage of someone who takes a second to make sure they're not about to shoot an ally.
  5. Sapare

Simple question from here. If you are an infiltrator and cloaked and the enemy has his gun aimed at you.... havn't you already screwed up anyway?

Let me remind you that cloaking is actully (to my knowledged) fixed and it is almost impossible to see a cloaked infiltrator(on the graphic settings I am used to). So to be spoted long enough to get shot and killed while cloaked is a skill in its own.
  6. HadesR

Being purposely TK'd by some noob in the spawn room is totally different to being accidentally TK'd while cloaked ..

Most of us are adults and realize accidents happen especially in the confusion of CQC ... People who play Infi's a lot accept it as a occupational hazard ... Maybe why you haven't seen thread after thread of " OMG I got TK'd " posted by infiltrators, and why we are confused and dumbfounded by this unasked for change ..

Thankyou for your concern ... But that should be up to those who play Infi a lot and not those who don't .. If Infi's don't care about getting TK once in a blue moon by accident, then we don't need you to care for us :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  7. FABIIK

Do you suggest the infil should be like TF2 spies ?
    • Up x 1
  8. Syphers

Do you even play the class? I guess not. Occasional TK is not a big deal versus screwing up our already supbar cloak. And anyway if you keep shooting a friendly INF after a few bullets and the obvious FF sound you need to work on that reaction time.

Anyway the game is going downhill fast
    • Up x 2
  9. LT_Latency

The stealth is enough,

Being able to exploit close range and sometimes having players only see the bottom 1/2 of you and have no way to tell what side you were on by looking at you was silly.

I really don't find I am any less effective with the new change
  10. Mustarde

Agreed. I have posted a few times how I feel about this... but for now I simply will agree 100%. Take it back, and throw away that code
    • Up x 5
  11. KuramaBingyi

What they should do is make it more difficult to distinguish a cloaked Infiltrator from its environment.

EDIT: And while we're at it, make it so that Infiltrators who move around have more of a chance to be seen -- like how Halo handled cloaking in its multiplayer.
  12. Aimeryan

Once upon a time I believed as you do. However, it has become apparent over time that the Hunter cloak really isn't designed that way - the devs themselves have all but told us that is the case. Neither of the two current cloaking options are there primarily to help you remain undetected at close range. In fact, they are more likely to get you detected because of the loud faction-specific noise they generate. There are at least a few videos around showing people hunting down infiltrators that they didn't even know previously was in the area by echo-location of the cloaking noise.

They do have other strengths however, as I mentioned in my previous post. So the answer to your question is no, they haven't screwed up. There is actually little point currently in remaining indefinitely undetected since there is little to do non-combat wise. Hit and run tactics are, however, quite effective and rely not on remaining undetected but in being elusive. Being elusive relies on not being easily identified - which is what the glow implementation has changed.

In case you are wondering, the devs are working on a cloak that is designed to remain undetected, assuming the infiltrator makes the correct choices. It has been described as a "PS1-style cloak"; indefinite, pretty much invisible while motionless, no primary.

To comment on your second paragraph, the Hunter cloak (and the NA cloak) is very easily-visible if you have half decent eyesight, assuming the infiltrator is moving. I spot infiltrators all the time, and I play on high-graphics. Perhaps it is due to experience of being an infiltrator myself, or perhaps it is just being observant.

If the infiltrator is completely motionless and crouched down, it can be less noticeable - especially if hidden in shadow too, but there are still times I spot this. However, neither cloak (NA or Hunter) lasts very long, and they have a fade-in time and a loud noise - hence, you can't use it reactively (it is too slow to work) and you can't use it passively (doesn't last long enough). Happening to have it on at the right time while not moving is often luck more than anything else - and there is a decent chance they heard the cloak noise anyway. If they do happen to spot you, you are screwed because of the cloak's weapon-lock and the ease of which they can hit a non-moving target. If you do manage to stay undetected by remaining still, eventually you will have to move anyway if your goal is close-range infiltration - in which case you become the very easily-visible moving infiltrator.

That paragraph may sound like a complaint or whine - it is neither. As I previously said, the current cloaks are not designed to keep you from being detected, hence everything in that paragraph is actually quite OK. Those cloaks suit other purposes, of which one of them happens to be causing temporary confusion to aid in eluding the enemy. Or, at least it did.
    • Up x 2
  13. Gadamlu

but we dont.

you must be the person that rage-quits and throws a grenade in the Freindly machinegun nest you just walked in front of
    • Up x 1
  14. Hantak

Well im sorry but if you cannot comprehend what i just said maybe you are just dumb, and not "dumber"

Blind?
    any serious or competitive player uses the minimap like if it was its main screen.
    Have you ever seen a stacraft pro player playing? they split their attention between the main screen and the minimap, it takes less than a second to look at the minimap and its an extremelly usefull tool.

You then ask "why am i on the map?"....
    Seriously? if i hear a shot, a cloak/decloak sound, steps or w/e and i see no friendly on the minimap, guess what? its a ******* enemy player on the area...
    .. im not gonna even bother replying to you anymore. learn to play please.
  15. The King

Adding glowing to the cloaks did, in fact, changed a lot of things.
    If you fail to see that fact, you both would need your head examined.
    • Up x 1
  16. MaxXxKaeos

Lets playback a scenario I often find myself in...

I run around a left corner after reloading a rocket.. I happen to see a distorted wave on the right corner of the screen while i turn the left corner, I have 2 choices.. keep runnin and hope it was a friendly while I glance at the mini-map to be sure, or turn and look and fire at the same time because I know HE saw me also.....

B4 the update I blasted anything that moved that wasn't my faction colors then looked at the mini-map questioning myself and wondering if I'm hungry because my eyesight might be laggin more than the game. That is also including weird camo colors because we're not on dates, we don't have staring contests.
    After the update that glow saved just about every team infiltrator that ran past me at the wrong friggin time.

Now another scenario...

I infiltrate then run right into the middle of a group camping for heals and I shoot the first player looking my direction then cloak again, crouch and pretend I was one of them, reveal then kill another then drop a grenade, cloak and reload and try to duck behind something before I continue...

B4 the update I could get off 3 or 4 kills before they realized I was next to them crouching pretending to be one of them because they usually hesitate, thinking their teammate hid cause some 1 died if they happen to see the cloak distortion.
    After the update... I now get 1 kill and then a point blank bullet exchange to the death.

Only one thing changed... Its summer time... in Planetside 2 we trade shells... you want people to keep their shells? Then go to the beach.
  17. Valena

You know, I've noticed something funny with this whole ESC cloak issue.

The people who defend it the most often don't play the Infiltrator at all, they just like having their hands held by SOE telling them what not to shoot. As if the name tag, friendly colored dorito and the 'stop shooting your team mates' sound wasn't enough for them to realize what was friendly and what wasn't. Infiltrators, on the other hand, almost unanimously want the change reversed and never brought back.

Hmm, which group should SOE listen to regarding changes to the Infiltrator class?
    • Up x 4
  18. Grumpymunky

I find it condescending and insulting. SOE has basically said, "you're all too dumb to know the difference, so we'll make it easy for you."

I'll forgive them if they give us a "spy cloak" that makes us glow brightly in the colours of the enemy. :cool:
  19. DramaticExit

Seriously... Any infiltrator that knows and actually does his/her job really doesn't care about occasionally getting TK'd because they were mistaken for an infiltrator of the other team.

If someone rages at you about it, they probably suck at being an infiltrator.
    • Up x 1