Stopped playing after imposed restrictions

Discussion in 'MAX' started by PsychoFlounder, Jun 22, 2013.

1. PsychoFlounder

After the new update, I've stopped playing the game.

Here's what happened:
    Playing NC, I was in defense for a good hour, winning for half of it and getting smashed by VS for the other half. I started the game with insuficient infantry resources to spawn a Max, vehicle or aircraft. So what did I do? I did some time being an engineer, killing things, fixing things and spent around 15 minutes trying to gain enough resources to spawn a Max.

So, I spawn the MAX, and get teamkilled by a tank.

I rage for a couple minutes.

I find that I can't spawn it again even though the time it takes to respawn had passed, for which I spent my certifications in reducing. What do I do? Well, I spend another 20-45 minutes trying to gain enough resources to spawn another MAX unit. I noticed that by this time, there were no MAX units to be seen else where, either. It took 20-45 minutes this time because NC was getting hammered and we were pushed back into our spawns. So instead, since everybody was getting hammered, I decided to go medic to earn resources

After all this time, I was able to spawn another MAX unit. This MAX unit had Raven rockets on each arm, because the short range weapons are an absolute joke. What do I do? I try to defend my spawn against hords of infantry, MAX units and people who generally have a lot of resources to actually spawn their ******* ****, because they're not in the defensive -- VS. So here I was blowing everybody to ****, including myself and my teamates because I was using LONG RANGE WEAPONRY.

This process repeated as we were costantly defending our bases against VS, hour after hour, because the increase in resources to respawn anything has screwed the game over.

I've been playing PS2 since it came out, and can honestly say these restrictions are not only illogical, but stopped me from enjoying and playing the game.
    • Up x 2
  2. Terrahero

Maybe its just me, but i noticed that a faction steamrolling is only doing so harder now. With the resource cost increase across the board essentially, the cooldowns themselves are not just the only inhibitive factor anymore. Actual resources available is going to inhibit people from pulling something more so then before.

However, where cooldown is independant of everything the resource system most certainly is not. Factions that are dominating will be getting much more resources then the factions who are getting strangled. As a result, the faction winning can pull even more materials relative to the losing side then before and stomp even harder.

Its a system where the winning side is made stronger and stronger, and the losing side is made weaker and weaker.
    • Up x 6
  3. Warhawx

Yeah, me too. I don't think I'll get back to playing Planetside 2 until the devs balance the resources cost right. Right now, the MAX is ridiculously outrageous. Imagine if someone tells you that your tax now costs three and a half times more than usual, people would rise in revolt.
    • Up x 2
  4. Diggles

walk back into spawn and switch arms....DUH
    its nice to now that 1/2 the enemy team wont be maxes now...so teams better support/care for the fewer team maxes that are around now.

now if they reduced dmg of small arms fire to maxes we'd be in business
  5. Roarboar

Same here, the resource cost is just ludicrous.
  6. Metal Insomniac

I pity the people that invested a lot of certs into the MAX passive timer. Because chances are, you won't even have the resources to pull another as soon as the timer ends. 150 or 200 would have been far more practical. But 350? Absurd.
    • Up x 6
  7. Terrahero

The cooldown might aswell not exist anymore. Its not what is inhibiting MAXs from being pulled, resources are. It can take upwards to 45min to get the resources neededto pull a MAX. The uncerted cooldown is a fraction of that, already being made obsolete. And so putting certs into something to reduce an obsolete cooldown is also redundant.

The only time it has any practical effect is when i am on full resources, pull a MAX and die very quickly. Then i get enough resources left to pull another one. But the 3th MAX (and any MAX after that) will have to wait on resources, not cooldowns. If i died the moment the cooldown was down, i'd still have to wait 10-20min for the resources after the cooldown. If i certed to reduce the cooldown i'd still be waiting just aslong as if i didnt cert at all.

The cert cost is in no way balanced with the idea that its only ever useful when you have full resources and die shortly after spawn. Essentially, that Cert is redundant and any cert points spend on it are destroyed.
    • Up x 1
  8. Kulantan

Its a pwn tax. Well more accurately a fee or fine. Its a MAX congestion charge. Maybe more people will take the infantry bus. Nobody likes it, but they like the better system it creates.
  9. ent|ty

Yep since I could keep my MAX alive long enough to negate the timer that I certed into, I could keep pulling MAXs and almost play it full time (which we need at the time to keep air at bay)>
    Now i'm lucky if I get to pull a MAX each play session.
    If you play AV HA like me, its easy to run out of resources when you're chucking AV nades around trying to kill those things, or if you play an UnPop faction, in which case the resources are scant.

Take note I am an Auraxium member, with max resource boost, and i run out stil :/
  10. Pikachu

If not by increasing the resource cost, how else to limit the amount of MAXes? People here scream all the time about how they hate to face MAXes.
  11. QuantumVoid

MAXes definitely need their own resource. Make it a smaller number, like 350 or something. What PS2 has now become is player specilization. I thought you were trying to steer away from the PS1 cert system? Let me explain more:

I don't like playing one specific class constantly. It gets repetetive and boring. I often switch between Heavy, Infiltrator, and Engineer. I have special items for each class. My heavy uses medical kits, infiltrator - Claymore, Engineer C4. Not to mention grenades for all of them. I am ALWAYS at 0 infantry resources desperately trying to keep those items resupplied. It's ridiculous, I cannot keep up, I'm down to at 5 of each, and it's slowly dropping. I can NEVER spawn a MAX now (Which I payed money for weapons), very frustrating. I understand you might argue that I should just stick to one class and specialize, but more often than not a battle is missing a certain class and no one is willing to do it - it seems. I was glad to switch before, but now I can never play with my MAX, which I most enjoy. Medical kits alone cost a small fortune in resources, I spend most of my time as a heavy since they are the most versatile, so I chew through medical kits like candy.

Please, for the love of God, make MAXes have their own resource. Heck, make that resource build slower than others, I don't care. I would still get to use my MAX once in a while rather than NEVER.
    • Up x 1
  12. QuantumVoid

This is a very valid point. I've certed into cooldown timer, and that cert is now obsolete.

I also don't understand why people are so against MAXes. They are incredibly easy to kill. I often bait - C4 MAXes. Heck, I've killed a few heads up, rocket/HA LMG, just run around them and most people can't rotate quick enough. MAXes are the most vulnerable class in my opinion, I get many more kills as a Heavy these days. I don't understand the logic behind making them even more scarce. And anyway, I like fighting against MAXes, it's fun to have a "OH SHIII...." moment when you run around a corner into a MAX.
  13. McToast

Moin

I confess, I rarely spawn as a MAX, but I amost never run out of ressources. And I don't use any booster. I honestly can't see the problem some people have with the increase in ressource costs. If you run out of one ressource, use another? When I'm low on infantry ressources (and you can stack your consumables up as high as 40) I pull a vehicle. Running out of mechressources I pull an aircraft. By the time I'm running out of this too I usually have full infantry ressources again (if we aren't gatelocked - but yea, thats the punishment for getting gatelocked).

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
  14. Gheeta

• Up x 1
  15. lilleAllan

The increased cost to pull MAXes is one of the best thing to happen to this game IMO.

Painful flashbacks to MAXside. Crawls into fetal position.
  16. Ganjis

They could always remove the cost and make them non-resurrectable (heresy I know). This would both make the cooldown cert meaningful again as well as giving a sense of accomplishment for taking out a MAX.

You might see more MAXes, but they would stay down when you dropped them.
  17. Liewec123

perfect summary, its ridiculous, on ceres yesterday it was a choice between fighting 61% of the server as TR on Indar, 64% as TR on Esamir or 75% as TR on Amerish.
    which ever you pick you won't get enough resources to pull anything more than twice in a long time, while TR can spam prowlers and mozzies repeatedly.

they need to replace the resource system with something better, and give the underdog factions faster vehicle timers at less cost.

but lets face it $oE don't care about balance all they want is your money.
    and hilariously high costs only countered with consumable boosters or subscriptions are a cheap below the belt way of sticking their hand in your wallet to give you the experience you remember and love before they took it from you.
    • Up x 1
  18. Goretzu

They should have made it so MAXs were for specailists as the were in PS1.

Instead they just made them ridculously expensive, which really punishes people that crash or get TKd etc. etc.
    • Up x 1
  19. Cryptek

The fact that you now cost more infantry resources than most vehicles cost of their respective resource type, but you can still be: 1shot by C4, roadkilled, have no travel mode and they've removed all redeploy options, leaving you to walk...

Is the biggest '**** you MAX users' in the history of the game, now go buy boosts/membership because otherwise you won't be affording a new MAX after you died for a ******** reason that was 100% out of your control.
    • Up x 1
  20. DocteurVK

We already have a default 80% damage reduction from small arms fire. Guess it's enough, but as every armored vehicle, MAx units need to be supported by engineers to hope surviving.

Anyway, I foresee the incoming resource changes which will merge all resources to one unique resource type.

They've told they'd work around the same mechanic PS1 had : ANTs

each base would have a resource pool, where players would spawn their Vehicles and resupply their infantry consumables.

This would limit Spams and would allow players to get more resources to use their favorite vehicle (Aircraft pilots would almost never pull a ground MBT)