Why IRNV Scope nerf was for the worse?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FRANKIEonPCin1080p, Jun 20, 2013.

1. FRANKIEonPCin1080p

Hey,

So am not a great fan of the new change to the IRNV Scopes on weapons. They are now essentially useless given the increased ADS time. A lot of people said they were noob scopes which I don't understand as it was a lot easier and still is to do better with ironsights given the IRNV drop off.

Reason I don't like it though, is because the game is incredibly laggy. When the IRNV scope was up, it boosted your FPS by 15-20 making gunfights a lot more enjoyable. Now every gunfight with the other scopes or ironsights feels sluggish and terrible, and the game is just not as fun to play as infantry for me.

I've also noticed the game crashes far more frequently now, and it is incredibly annoying when you have just bought a scythe of MBT for it to be lost because the game suddenly closes.

As for the ZOE balancing etc. I haven't really noticed much difference. ZOE always seemed less effective anti-infantry wise than a Heavy Assault anyway, unless your trailed by an engineer, which is rare.

I'm also of the opinion that the game doesn't have a bigger player base, because it is too slow/hard to get cert points when you start out. Im currently level 38 and get about 120-150 per hour with around a 40% boost, but when your starting off, your lucky to get 50 per hour. Given that the higher level you are the superior your character will be, I just think it puts off a lot of people. Even changing cert gain to 200xp would make it more accessible as at the moment, you have to no life it to rank up high fast and most have jobs etc.

Also, the camos are still and always have been pretty ugly :D

Frankie
    • Up x 3
  2. TheFullCologne

Give new players 500 certs to start off...? i really do think this is the main reason the playerbase is not as big as it can be.
    • Up x 3
  3. TheFullCologne

4. VSDerp

FRANKIE is it really you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but seriously gaining certs is way way way easier than it was in the old days. but IRNV scope nerf didn't really bother me to much. im good at aiming and killing with it. so i hardly see a difference. my own experince
  5. Benton!

The IRNV was the best scope in the game, now it is where it is supposed to be. Good at seeing in the dark, but not for general combat.

P.S. FFRRAANNNNKKKYYYYY!!!
    • Up x 1
  6. SpcFarlen

Frankie, remember the IRNV in BF3? And how it was THE go to sight. All other sights where inferior in every other way. You could see through smoke, see people in bushes, even see a small sliver of their leg behind cover. It was essentially a wall hack. Any downside? Limited view, which any magnified scope gave as well. So the balance of the scope was far more favorable to use than to not.

Now in PS2 it was the exact same. If you wanted a sight for close to medium range, the IRNV was hands down the best. So of course something had to give. Rather than nerfing the range, like BF3 did, they added a small activation time and some sway. The activation time means you cant quick scope like the regular 1x red dot. The sway means its less reliable at longer ranges though really isnt that bad.

It puts it more inline with other scope options, because remember scope are a person preference its why they are cheap and the same price.

PS.... Frankie why did you make your account yesterday? I smell oysters on this one.
  7. SwordMaster314

I personally think with the way IRNV scopes were before, there was no need to use reflex sights at all. When everybody and their mother runs IRNV scopes 24/7 you know something is wrong. Also about the cert gains, It used to be ALOT harder back when there were no alerts, ribbons and vehicles only gave you 100 xp (shudder). Also, are you really getting that much of an FPS boost from IRNV scopes? I've never heard of them increasing fps by that much

As for the constant crashing I believe the NVIDIA 320. something Phys X driver caused PS2 to crash pretty frequently. Not sure if NVIDIA fixed it yet but it might be worth your time to try downgrading the Phys X driver to see if it helps (you don't need to downgrade the normal driver just the Phys X one)

Also, try setting your rendering distance down to roughly 1000 or 2000 instead of the standard. This will not effect seeing enemies as vehicles don't render past I think 1000m or something so basically all the extra render distance is doing is looking pretty and eating fps.

(and remember, the camos are only all ugly on VS characters because of our stupid spandex pants)
  8. Goretzu

Personally I think it's still the best general combat scope, just not as good as it was.

That's mostly down to the very poor quality of ironsights and low mag scopes though.
  9. Richardblabla

Hi Frankie, if it's really you.

If it is you then I'd like to tell you that no offence, your hordes of Youtube subscribers who've recently joined the Vanu in overwhelming numbers are ruining Woodman for everybody.

If you could kindly ask them to disperse to the other factions as well, that'd be just great.
    • Up x 1
  10. Cl1mh4224rd

Has anyone actually used the new HS/NV scopes in-game? In my opinion, they're only slightly less awesome than they were before.
    • Up x 1
  11. Udnknome

The only change in my gameplay is now I press the Shift Key (hold breath) when I pull up ADS. (unsure if this is intended or not)

If you are good with ADS, you can predict where your crosshair will end up and start shooting even before the screen comes on.

Again, this is nowhere near the nerf I thought it was going to be. Thank you SOE for adding a little skill to the noob scope.
  12. asdfPanda

To solve the game crashing after getting a tank/esf, a garage system should be implemented, where you can store your vehicle at a base and be able to log off, log back on and pull it out.
    • Up x 2
  13. Oheck

The changes made to the IRNV scope are so minimal. Hasn't affected my use of it in the least. I limit its use to night because its too damn easy to kill with.

Shame they just did some lazy copy pasting on the sway code, because apparently the sniper rifle code they took it from also included the ability to hold your breath to steady the sight...
  14. LT_Latency

The got changed because they made the red dot pointless as the IRNV was a much better red dot sight and you got the benefit of the vision
  15. Stigma

Account made yesterday hmmmz... I have my doubt this is the real guy, but on the off chance that you are the real frankie I want to say your youtube-work is awesome.

As for the IRNV, I think the change was for the best overall. Before there was very little reason to use anything but the IRNV. Clearer target acquisition, see through smoke, more precise scope ect. The only tradeoff was that you could not see past a range at which most weapons became ineffective at killing stuff anyway. For other 1x scopes to be viable there has to be a downside to go along with the benefits. The delay is very minimal in truth and will only decide extremely close battles where you are caugh unaware, and the scope-sway is almost nonexistent. I can't say I even feel it after I factor in recoil-compensation to the movement.

All in all this is probably close to what it should have been like from the start TBH. If you have been using it as a go-to scope for everything up until now it sucks to have it nerfed, even if that nerf was small - but having overall balance between options is always better for the game in the long run than having one clear "best option" that is always the superior choice. I'm just glad they didn't pull a classic SOE and nerfed it into something unusable and instead did a fairly minor tweak.

As for cert-gain I never felt that to be all that limiting. I'd be for granting new characters a few hundred certs to start off with so that they can put a few points into one or two class role and feel useful right out of the game though. That wouldn't hurt in the long run and make it less intimidating to start out as a newbie. A few scopes, a level or two of revive tool, a few suit slot mods ect. At low levels a few hundred certs would go a long way towards the starting essentials. Otherwise the basic weapons are fairly viable for the most part with perhaps the exception of the liberators default shredder (which is good, but probably the worst noob-friendly option - should probably be the zepher that was the default).

-Stigma
  16. Rainproof

SOE should have left it alone, it's available to everyone so the playing field is level.
  17. Jac70

Frankie is an eloquent communicator and that original post doesn't scan like something he would write.
  18. SikVvVidiT

Sshhh these devs pick up on things like this...

They are trying their hardest to eliminate things that are good in this game...