The New GU11 Jackhammer

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by ladiesop, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ladiesop

From the current Test Server version, there are the following changes:

ROF: 250 -> 225
    Min Damage: 90 -> 70
    Magazine Size: 6 -> 9 (10 -> 12 extended mags now give 3)
    Reload (short): 2.05 -> 2.6
    Reload (long): 3.5 -> 3.65 (iirc)
    Ammo capacity has improved

The biggest change however, is Burst fire. The burst is much faster, like an automatic weapon. After each burst you 'slap' the gun, which is a re-chamber/bolt animation (interestingly, if you shoot while ADS on burst you don't rechamber until you leave ADS, so it's like a bolt action sniper). This makes it sort of a pseudo-pump action, in a way, though the 'action' is faster but the kill isn't instant, and will be very interesting. If you manage to get all shots on target, it can kill an enemy at 10m very quickly (needs recoil compensation).

It can now take sights, and has good irons (Gauss SAW irons). IRNV looks stupid on it, and takes up a lot of the screen space compared with the other sights.

The graphic on it is really cool, the coils at the front of the gun visibly heat up each shot.

What do you think? It is currently my HA shotgun of choice, and the changes make it more unique. Longer reloads come with larger magazine, naturally, which probably outweighs the smaller capacity. Rate of fire in semi-mode is down slightly; noticeable but not crippling, and because of the recoil and bloom settling it can take more controlled ranged shots though will kill slower close up, however if you want to kill quickly close up the new Burst fire is much faster than before and could be an excellent fire mode.
  2. Psykmoe

These changes make the Jackhammer able to weather the global shotgun damage nerfs and still come out as a good, solid weapon. They also seem to have toned down on the crazy, screenshaking recoil they added in GU10 (or 09?), which was harsher than on any other shotgun. I'm looking forward to using mine more.
  3. MykeMichail

I can already kill people quickly at 10 M with the Jackhammer.

They've given us 3 extra rounds (2 extra if you're using extended magazines) and increased our damage drop off so we have to use more ammo at range to kill anything. They've also increased the short reload, which was one of the best things about the Jackhammer.

You can pretty much 2 shot someone with the Jackhammer if your aim is good (1 hit headshots if lucky), but they've reduced the RoF by 25 rpm which means it'll take slightly longer to deliver those 2 shots.

So really, Jackhammer has only been buffed if you always use it at 10 m or under (pretty sure they're leaving the max damage at 112?). If you start using it at longer ranges than that, then its pretty much been nerfed.
  4. MykeMichail

Yes... they really need to get rid of that invisible mule which kicks you every time you pull the trigger on the Jackhammer.
    • Up x 1
  5. Bill Hicks

if the jackhammer was 10 certs I MIGHT buy it.
  6. Adamar09

The 12 shots with extended mags kind of screws up the burst -> short reload ability it has.
  7. Mekhazzio

Well, that doesn't sound like much of a buff to me. Lower ROF, significantly longer short reload (which was one of the best things about it, currently) and a burst-fire mode that I will still never use because now it's not just massive overkill, it's clunky and awkward too. More ammo will be nice, but overall....meh.

So the Saron, the Lasher, and this. They're really doing a great job of "buffs" that make the weapons less desirable.
  8. ladiesop

The Rate of Fire is going down to match the other shotguns, but I don't see why it needed the damage decrease as well.

Having extra ammo is nice. The longer reloads go with larger magazine size, I'm afraid but it was only made as long as the full-auto, not the high capacity normal shotgun.
  9. Epoch/Eep

JACK IS BACK LADIES!

If you're a jack user now you're gonna love this.

The rest of you are too influenced by the forums to try it anyway and won't bother till someone says it OP. cba with people like that :p
    • Up x 2
  10. Marinealver

The only jackhammer I would acknowledge and respect.
    [IMG]

If it is not triple barreled, then it isn't a jackhammer. (oh hey look at the NC MAX anti-infantry weapon.
  11. Kon

the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
    the jackhammer is not op
  12. RHINO_Mk.II

Will have to see how it turns out in combat, but from what I can tell everything was nerfed except the burst fire ability that I never used before in any case. Bigger clip size and ammo pool is nice, but frankly not enough to compensate for lost RoF, damage, and reload speed.
  13. Kon

took away what made it special for me i liked the extended range allowed me to compete with people who cant aim
  14. ladiesop

ROF and min-damage loss is a real killer.
  15. Allhopeforhumanity

I agree, while the burst fire is now useful, lower single shot rate of fire, minimum damage reduction and longer reloads are a straight up nerf to using it in single fire mode.
  16. Bill Hicks

Jack hammer is complete trash, now I got soloed by burning wreckage and a afk Medic.
  17. bloodgulge

funny thing is, when you use burst fire, get right up in a heavies face, make all pellets hit, he can just tank it with his shields. Then you're boned.
  18. PieBringer

I tried it after the patch. I've been using it for more than two months before the patch.

Was it weak pre-GU11? Only if you don't want to learn how to use it. Is it weak post-GU11? If you answered "yes", I have nothing respectful to say to you.

They turned a beautiful beast of a weapon into... Just another FOTM weapon. I can't even bear to look at it on my equipment screen, now.
  19. Kingside

Jackhammer user here. I played with the updated Jackhammer this evening and it sucks now. The forced delay after burst firing has ruined it.
  20. Tycoh

The Midas Touch of SOE strikes again
    • Up x 1