Vehicle IR/NV

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Seron, Jun 20, 2013.

1. PLooschacK

You all got NV optics for your vehicles couse you are cheap bastards who wanted to have what Thermal does w/o spending additional 150 certs. It is natural to make those two vision different. It's definietly good change but how good depends on how much further we can see.
  2. Vikingo

Not really, I bought the NV sights because they had longer range, if Thermal had had longer range from the start I would have bought those.
    But I agree it is a good change.
  3. Rodinvac

I've always been a fan of TI over IRNV, since while it's more expensive and (as it has been proved through experimentation) has less actual range than the latter, it's much easier on the eyes and highlighted enemies are better contrasted against the background.
    That said, it is IRNV, so it should still highlight, since nighttime isn't dark enough to warrant spending certs for the NV part (or a flashlight for that matter).
    I do believe the current implementation is far from final, however, as with most initial PTS changes, so I hope that what SOE is trying to do is extend the maximum visible range, so that it's actuallymore useful when used at night, while making it so that it only highlights enemies that are close.
    • Up x 2
  4. Vortok

I've seen multiple people say they used it over Thermal to see terrain. Usually pilots, but there were a few people that used it over Thermal for the range and not specifically for the target highlighting.
  5. haldolium

Hm I have to see how this turns out to be, though overall I think it sucks.

The vision ranges should be improved then for both sights. Since it is already been the way that highlight of enemies fades out before the actual vision range ends, I really don't see any reason why thermal vision is so heavy limited in overall vision distance...
  6. AnotherNoob

Guess this finally means there is a reason to buy the thermal. Don't like the white flash when you start it up though, would be better if it just was black...
    [IMG][IMG]
  7. TheBillOf3D

I guess standing a chance of catching the LA spam before they act was causing lolfairyC4 to cry.
  8. Riku

This is a misunderstanding. If you read closely, it's just an explanation as to in what NV excels and in what Thermals excel. NV has longer range than Thermals, it is said, and that's correct (by 50 meters or so used by ESF). But they didn't adjust NV range. I agree that it is now complete trash and they will notice soon no vehicle and almost no infantry will use NV any more, and buff it.
  9. KAHR-Alpha

If they didn't improve the range then it's completely pointless on any vehicle. It's like the flashlight 2.0.
  10. ArcKnight

I unlocked NV for 6 weapons, so wasted 300 certs that definitely left a sour taste in my mouth
  11. Costanza33

Stupidity n°1: a sway on a 1x scope.
    Stupidity n°2: IR/NV just become NV-you-can't-see-****-with (indeed stop calling it IR for InfraRed as it doesn't highlight stuff anymore.)
    Stupidity n°3: a sway on a 1x scope... wait I've already said that, but it's so dumb I had to say it again...

And for the ones that don't find Amerish nights dark, an advice: an ophtalmologist consultation... don't be afraid, you're not blind yet...
  12. TripleAych

Night vision was overpowered and it was nerfed thusly.
    If you cannot see this, then quit posting.
  13. ladiesop

If it's like how it was on the Test Server, Night Vision doesn't really help visibility at night either.

I guess it's 2000 certs worth of Thermal time for my vehicles.
  14. Cowabunga

Then save up 200 certs and buy Thermal - Problem solved you ninny.
  15. Costanza33

I agree: it definitely needed adjustment/balancing/tweaking. But here it's completely useless now, the nerfbat was too powerful. And as I think about that right now: usually, nerfing something is not supposed to make that thing useless. Sorry for my English guys.
  16. Snib

It doesn't, NV provides no light amplification now, in fact you see worse with it than without due to the monochrome.

That aside, everybody knew NV was broken compared to HV. Would have been nice if they had left some utility to NV though (to allow you to actually see better in the night might have been one idea...).

Not really. You can see infantry up to 200m with HV. Still better than nothing.
    • Up x 1
  17. Rodinvac

That's what I was hoping for earlier in this thread before the patch went live.
    Should've known better.
  18. Bluejay1020

For when they reintroduce Beta Night?
  19. ExarRazor

no, you're not. the current game nights are almost pitch black to me too. I usually just sit in the warpgate when night pops up.

and the new ir/nv vehicle optics don't do a single thing to allieviate it.

they took an attachment that needed some minor adjustments, and completely butchered it.

ooooh longer range!

more of crap is still crap