Higby's reddit post.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zib1911, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Nocturnal7x

This would have been a nice post for the official forums.
  2. Fumblewatt

No! Why use your own forums to spread information, blasphemy!
  3. Biytor

So if they are going to increase resource cost to limit the amount of armor and aircraft that are available (A.K.A. throttling) . Then explain why there is a time component also?

In the current system everything is controlled by time and not resources, they want to move that to resources as the control. Then the entire concept needs to remove the time component from the equation, as it has now become redundant. I just see this whole exercise as one bad idea leading to another which will lead to another and so forth. The entire resource concept was badly thought out in the beginning and we are seeing the fallout from it now.

You want to fix this dysfunctional system you need to do a few things.

a.) Make holding territory mean something other then as a means to an end.

Mining operations, refining, transport hubs etc. The current system of Hex or Lattice mean nothing other then a way to direct the battle. Holding territory means taking a few randomly placed buildings that have no intrinsic value themselves so you can go to the next set of builds that have no intrinsic value.

b.) Make infiltrators mean something other then an invisible sniper.

Sabotage resources shipments going to the warp-gate (see point a). Hack out enemy weapons for your sides use to sow confusion or gain advantage. Infiltrators are right now pigeonholed into being either a invisible sniper or a invisible proximity mine dropping run through the room type. Least useful class in the game for team play right now.

c.) Make each territory have multiple capture points that must all be take to effect territory control.

If an area has a mix of take and hold and king of the hill type outpost and bases in it, you increase the battle front and allow for more tactical play in that territory. Having only one capture point in a territory means everyone will be coming here on this ( the most likely approach ) to this point ( the most likely defense ). It's boring and one of the most uninspired types of territory control there is.

I could write a 50 page dissertation on what could be done to change the dynamics of this game, but no one on these forums would bother to read it or the Devs ( who someone convinced they were right ), as it would change the simple poorly thought out design they implemented and would wound their pride too much.
    • Up x 1
  4. Loco

Alright boss, np. The twitch combat and enemy recognition takes time with this game, I sucked as well when first starting out in beta, but stuck with it till I got it down good. I got no problem with tanks in this game, I just think from an infantry perspective they are a little too beefy in smaller scale combat, and too numerous in large scale combat.

Making them cost more or making them much longer to repair. Heavy assault takes over 1 minute to unload enough rockets to kill them (unless ur hitting ***), yet they can repair from almost dead to full in about a minute. If anything rockets are more of a temporary deterrent currently unless they are in bulk.

And the moment that we start talking more than 1 person to kill, then you need to start paying up and shouldn't be able to ride one full time.
  5. RobotNinja

Actually, membership sales are a fraction of what SOE is making on PS2. Non-member players purchasing station cash every single time SOE nerfs all the weapons you just bought a few weeks after you got them, then releases a new weapon that is the same one you already had but pre-nerf or the exact same weapon only an immeasurable iota better than the old one is what they're making bank on. We've got like a gazillion (real number) weapons in this game with literally the EXACT SAME STATS. Hope you don't think the weapon description is going to tell you what the difference is, except for vaguely. Then you're left wondering is that an actual attribute or is that just "color" text?

And don't expect to even get a hug for dropping a hundred, couple, few hundred on PS2. You'll get lumped in with the free players and get to watch as your gameplay experience is quickly eroded and made more and more miserable with each update despite what you've contributed to the game.

But that's so SOE can continue to develop this amazing game! So everyone should definitely buy a membership.

And will someone think of the BR100s!!!! Thank god this will only slightly inconvenience them as they already spent 10 hours a day playing PS2 since launch and lib/tank/esf farming every spawnroom in the game.
  6. metrotw

Lots of players not reupping their membership. I'll be one of them.
    • Up x 5
  7. Haruk

That "fodder" probably thinks nothing of their vehicles being destroyed. They probably think a helluvalot more about being mown down by vehicles ad infinitum after theirs is destroyed. Unless you yourself are claiming to represent all free player fodder, I'm going to suppose you're mostly a tanker, who hasn't played enough to learn to survive.

Restating from other threads:
    Have any of you pulled multiple sunderers in quick succession? No, probably not. Guess what, their price hasn't changed, it's been 400 since beta. They are giant kill me signs, more than your tanks. In fact, I bet you like shelling sunderers, so this shouldn't be news to you, they are usually stationary and easy to hit and destroy. Even with the high cost, and short lifespan, it's still possible to pull again granted your timer is ready. So your formerly ~200 resource vehicles were happily shelling 400 resource vehicles, which aren't really equipped to harm you 2x back. Welcome to Sundererville, tankers. Now you can feel the pain the same way sunderers drivers do.

Conclusion:
    More and more bros don't even planetside.
  8. Jkar

I'm actually kind of sad to face less tank zergs with this change. I love to kill as many tanks as possible because that's where the exp is at. A bio lab fight is less exp than a big tank zerg and now that will be a thing of the past. The meat grinder is the only option to get a decent income of certs now I suppose.

Welcome back to biolabside.
  9. lolitank

the people that act like tankers aren't needed is like going to a engineer in TF2 and say all the stuff you build will now break after 2 mins

so now there stuff will blow up and they will still have to deal with spys and demoman and other stuff coming to kill his stuff will he be happy about this will he maybe stop playing the class he likes?
  10. Nuggetman

I have decided not to play this game anymore. Every patch is a ******* scam to sell more of something. The devs obviously do not care about any sort of balance and are completely out of touch with their community. **** them.
    • Up x 1
  11. Klondik3

Yes, why would you cater to minority over a majority of customers?

Define easier. Better score per hour? I honestly doubt that.

OK I'll try again
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428077658314016961/killboard - note that I've been gunning for a random. No coordination whatsoever. Imagine what an organized team could do.

It doesn't make sense for you because you probably don't have flying experience. Resource cost has been adjusted to reflect vehicle earning potential and air has been UP for a very long time score-per-hour-wise compared to other vehicles and infantry(with same level of skill).
  12. Cl1mh4224rd

Until then, that tank's only killed maybe 10+ people. Obviously there's an imbalance in one LA blowing it up. :rolleyes:
  13. Cl1mh4224rd

You can't do balance without upsetting some segment of the population. This community proves that repeatedly. I believe the customary response is...

QQ some more.
  14. lolitank

well i hope you guys have fun with CoDside2 cause the tanks won't help you anymore :eek:
    • Up x 2
  15. zib1911

Bye.
    • Up x 1
  16. LahLahSr

What do you mean "supposed to"? PS2 has operated with this dynamic as one of the defining characteristic of the game play since later 2012 when the game was launched.

And how will a severe restriction to what you CAN pull at any given time - due to resource cost - help you "adapt to the situation and pull whatever helps your empire most at that point in time". Those who actually do just that, will be impacted exactly the same way.

Coming up with all these harebrained restrictions to force people to drink the cool-aid and just go with the flow, when they for 7 months have developed a preference for a specific role - as you would expect as people become more expect, they tend to specialize - and then yank it away, will lead to one of two things:
    1) People will just wait - battlefield style - until they can spawn what they want next or
    2) Leave this game that used to be something they enjoyed.

After 7 months of this, it's safe to say that those who felt that PS2 generally had too many vehicles, have left already. However, the ratio of players who will leave because of this, compared to the number of players who will stay longer because of this or be drawn to the game because of this, is NOT in PS2's favour.
  17. Selentic

Remove ground to ground lock ons, hey look, I just fixed 90% of the problems with tank/infantry balance!
    • Up x 1
  18. mina5

i like how reddit seems to be more important than OFFICIAL FORUMS !!!
  19. TothAval

Why do most tankers hide their tanks behind a hill, roll over, shoot, roll back? I don't get it. I did this in
    the beginning and still do this sometimes if i am in stupid mode. At first i saw everyone doing this and
    thought, well they play longer, obviously they know what they do. Well, obviously i was wrong.
    Not only is this boring, it's an invitation to your enemy to blow you up.
    The first tanks where invented to brake defense lines in ww1, not to form a defense line themselfes.
    In ww2 germany succeeded at first with crappy tanks because they used them like tanks should be used,
    as a vehicle that actually moves and not as a sitting duck.
    I have to admit i found out by trial, but movement is key in a tank. Standing still is what get's you killed.
    Now i try to keep my tank in constant movement and it's more fun, safer and well, i die because my
    comrades prefer to hide their chaos cars instead of using them.
    I can't count the situations i failed because i was on my own, knowing that i had succsessfully surprised
    the enemy simply by moving the thing and could have crushed them to nonexistence if only 1 or 2 other
    tanks have joined me - it could be so easy in the open field, regardless of rocket launchers or not.
    But no, every tanker i've seen so far starts hiding if he receives one hit or stops in front of infantry
    or hides behind a hill moving forward and backward or from side to side giving every LA a good reason to go
    hiking in the hills. I myself play HA most of the time, even in my tank. I've certed this into full destruction
    and i don't mind to redeploy and walk along way to sneek up to enemy tanks playing that game, it's far too
    easy. Go a big enough circle and by big i mean really big on foot around tanks and you definetly will get your c4
    used and your rocket launcher empty, because you know the tanks will still be there when you arrive and they
    will look in the other dircetion cause they feel safe behind their hill.

Well my tank still gets destroyed, but mostly because i made the mistake of stopping my tank or
    i've chosen the wrong way and had to stop therefor, but this has nothing to do with op infantry av options,
    this is my own fault. And yes, you've read it right, my tank get's destroyed, i manage to almost completly
    survive the destruction of it , since it's been days i get c4ed.
    I died once to a mine because i drove stupid forward and backward. I mostly die to air, gosh i hate libs and
    esfs, but they play there role, so it's fine. Most of the time i get blown up by them it's my fault too, because
    i try to hit them with my tank instead of jumping out and lock on them to make them run for easier prey
    or i am alone on the run searching for some opportunities.

I will never get how the majority is only driving forwards and backwards and wonders why they got blown up easy.
    The hardest tanks to hit are those driving around in circles. I saw some lightning drivers drive around the enemy
    hiding hill and mowing down the infantry from behind. Yet even there are two kinds of drivers, the ones that are shooting
    while driving, they usually survive because they strike like a ghost and vanish before the enemy can react.
    The other half manages to move their tank behind the enemy and they stop after accomplishing this and start
    driving forwards and backwards again and die even quicker then the hiding tanks behind the other hill. They only live longer
    because the enemy infantry(mostly LA) have a longer way to c4 them.

If all the tanks instead of playing that stupid "hiding behind the hill" game would actually use their tank for the purpose
    of a tank, infantry wouldn't stand a chance in the open field. An infantry formation in the open field, regardless of hiding
    behind a hill or not, if they are somewhat skilled, will probablyl manage to take out up to two fast moving and attacking
    tanks before they are wiped out. If there are enemy tanks playing that stupid "hiding behind the hill" game an actually
    attacking tank force will destroy them as well in ease.

That's the reason why harrassers are devastating on infantry and tanks not, because they move and they use their
    main advantage over infantry beside massive armor and damage output - their mobility. Stop playing tank like infantry
    or a turtle with a gun, you are not a vulnerable, slow unit like infantry, you can outrun, outgun and outarmor them easily,
    you can roadkill them, you can outarmor there dps if you strike fast and hard.
    Infantry is good at defense , they will allways do this better compared to tanks, cause this is their strength. Don't battle them on their playground, enforce your playground on them.

Just my two cents, feel free to hate it.
  20. Ranik

This is the funniest part. 90% of my tank deaths are trying to push in and help infantry who are getting their ***** kicked because the defenders have a massive positional advantage and thus the only way to get rid of that is to gain armor superiority.

And now that's all out the window. Every single base fight is going to be a biolab fight. Sunderers aren't going to be placeable very close to the spawnpoint. And Armor / Air is not going to be able to support.

The meatgrinder has not even begun. And the fools who are cheering are going to be the first to quit the game out of boredom.

Oh the hilarity of it all.

Because MBT's are fragile as ****. Have very poor accuracy and splash. The AV options available are cheap, effective and spammable. And there exist weapons which can instantly kill you if you hit them (Mines) or get too close (C4).

That is the reality of tank combat. Hiding far away and firing because that is all that tanks can actually do well.
    • Up x 1