[Suggestion] PC and PS4 Solution

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Noskavian, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Noskavian

I began playing PS2 at beta, but sadly I quit and allowed my account to go dormant because non of my real life friends played with me, they all played console, I let my gold account expire and I haven't been on since.

While I am a PC gamer most of my real life friends are avid console games. We have been hoping and wishing for cross platform play on games we want to play for years.

I understand there are some PC guys who don't want their game ruined by console kids.

I understand there are some console guys who don't want their game ruined by PC Kids.

The solution: PC Exclusive Servers, PS4 Exclusive Servers, Hybrid Server allowing PC and PS4 to play together.

This would allow PC elitist to play only with PC. Console elitists to play only with console. People who don't care or want cross platform play can have it.

As far as the patching issue is concerned, Sync up the PC patches with the PS4 Patches.
  2. Loco

For me its going to be a balance. Consoles will require aim assist. You will not be able to compete with a mouse and keyboard. Now if the PS4 has true mouse and keyboard capability, the PS3 I was told by people had a limit on input keys pressed at same time and wasn't as good, then they can negate the aim assist if they assume everyone has a keyboard and mouse.

If you ever played a FPS against someone using a controller you will know you run circles around them and it is a pretty sad affair. If they make the aim assist too good, then PC players will jump ship.
  3. Noskavian

I've played on the PS3 I use a mouse and keyboard (I cant use a gamepad, too difficult for me) so when I play PS3 it feels like using a less beefy PC. and honestly with Mouse and Keyboard you don't need aim-assist it kind of annoys it, jerks my aim. might not be very noticeable to console gamepads but it is with out. They could easily add aim-assist to the game for both PS4 and PC and leave it off by default lots of FPSs do have aim assist, I personally find they screw with accuracy.

But yes balanced aim assist is important if its too good then it removes the skill from the FPS which no-one wants.

Additionally this is why its optional, for people who are unahppy with it they can play on a all PC or all PS4 server, but their is a 3rd Option, PS4 and PC server.
  4. capocapone

dude you can not be that dumb...you know xbox and ps4 are gonna have their own servers due to the fact that PC gamers would kill a twitch joystick to easy..its not even funny.thats why they have their own servers for any cross over games that are out..will always be that way...its not about kids vs kids or whatever...its about FAIR play.I would love to play on a hybrid with my pc would be fun for awhile maybe even for ever pwning thumbers

and
  5. Nocturnal7x

I think its time your friends grew up.
    • Up x 1
  6. PhiladelphiaCollins

I'm curious where people are getting the idea that PC and PS4 players are going to share the same server...

...that would be a ******* feeding frenzy for KB/Mouse players.
  7. Asmodias

Exactly, son. Exactly.
  8. Littleman

Besides that the PS4 will supposedly support mouse and keyboard support for its games? Chances are PS2 will at least, and the peripherals are far cheaper than a Dualshock controller.

But the reasoning for no cross-platform play is update frequency. PSN requires getting permissions for updates to the game, so PS4 players will always be a bit behind PC players in terms of client version. Cross-platform play will mean PC players have to suffer longer periods between updates, and no, in this case, that doesn't mean better bug testing or higher quality patches, it just means the two week stuff takes a few more weeks of going through paperwork before they can be implemented.
  9. HadesR

They are not .. Already been stated they are not so is no " solution " to fix
  10. SgtScum

PS3 already allows for m/kb play. All that stands between a ps4 player and a pc player is a $10 wired usb m/kb combo at the local walmart.

The console kiddies already pay 5x that much for a generic third party controller so its a moot point.
  11. MFP_TK_01

Congratulations, you solved an issue that was already taken care of before we even knew about it.
  12. NinjaTurtle

Well it is effectively SOE endorsed aim botting
  13. SLiCKRiCK

Damn, I wish PS4 players were on the same servers as us. Free kills for days!
  14. Eyeklops

Console players should be given the option to play on either console servers or PC servers. The console version should support K/B and mouse, but only when on the PC servers.
    • Up x 2
  15. Ashnal

This, but one step further.
    How about we stop caring whether the player is on a PC or PS4, and instead put them on a server based on their selected input method. Since both PCs and the PS4 can both support either gamepad or M&KB, let PS4 guys with M&KB play on the M&KB servers, and let the PC players who like to use gamepad (few in number but they exist) to play on the gamepad server.

No PC or PS4 servers, only M&KB or gamepad servers. Have an option in the launcher which input method you like, and check for that input method to make sure it is present, and disable the other one if it is attached on game launch. Server selection changes based on that launcher setting. Would work for both platforms :D
  16. Tobax

Actually.... while yes they will have their own servers at launch SOE already said they have ideas about how to bridge PC and PS4 so everyone can play on the same servers. Further more while I think typically yes a mouse and keyboard is better there are plenty of great FPS gamers who do amazing well on a controller, so I do hope they bridge it as I would enjoy owning the majority of console people.
  17. gigastar

You make it sound so appealing...
  18. RonnieBoy

Hybrid servers would severely limit PC patch updates. Would you wait a month for a game-breaking bug or a super imbalanced weapon to be fixed because of the consoles prolonged patch approval system? Also a patch which works perfectly on the PS4 version may cause severe BSOD issues on certain combinations of PC hardware, which would need to be hotfixed ASAP and would cause a version mismatch between PC and consoles. This is the main reason why there won't be cross-platform play.
  19. Lord Robert

I was wondering about this. I didn't think they could roll out game updates like they can for PC for a console, but then again its a Sony game on a Sony console so maybe they can.
  20. Noskavian

I don't think you need to insult my intelligence. I would also like to point out that SOE makes PS2 so it won't be coming to Xbox. Additionally PS3 is fully compatible with Mouse and Keyboard, thats how I play FPSs on PS3 I would bet money PS4 will fully support Mouse and Keyboard.
    Its just as easy to pwn on Console with mouse and keyboard as it is on PC.

The gamepade reasoning is null as PS2 can support gamepad or mouse/keyboard regardless of platform.

Then having the option of which server to play on allowing consoles to play with consoles PC to play with PC and a hybrid server lets everyone have the experience they want. The only thing sacrificed is slightly adjusted patch cycle. This is a Win-Win