Can I get the best from the best? (cert guide)

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Hazardous playa, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Hazardous playa

Hey guys, I've been having a blast playing ps2, my question is; what would you recommended spending my cents on?

I know have 689 certs and I want to put them in the heavy and engi, what would you recommended I buy? I'm kinda a noob when it comes to nano armor,different RPGs, and upgrades. I would be most appreciative for the help! :)

-signed the battle noob
  2. Paqu

I would recommend that you take nanoweave level 4 and resist shield up to level 3 or 4. That combo makes the heavy assault very durable against bullets. And at least one level of restoration kit.

For the engineer get one level of mines as you get to plant two mines at the first level which destroys any vehicle that doesn't have mineguard. After that leveling up the repair gun is always a good choise.

Which faction are you playing?
    • Up x 1
  3. Patooie

These questions are always laden with playstyle caveats but with over 200hours in the engie here is what I've had good luck with:

Engineer - Armored Support
    Max Repair tool - rationale here is best for keeping armor up/rolling
    Max Flak armor - rationale is that repairing a tank underfire you frequently are subjected to blast damage and maxing this has aided significantly in survivability
    Weapons are highly personal choices as well but I have had exceptional luck with the 2 builds:
    #1 - NS-11 with softpoint,forward grip, compensator and IRNV scope. (what I'd consider a good short range engagement build)
    #2 - Trac5-s (or faction equivalent NC Gauss CompactS or VS SolsticeSF) SoftPoint, Compensator, Reflex & Underbarrel Smoke
    (#2 option smoke is a great screen generator for tower assaults or in smoke screen support for charging tank column/repair screen - remember to put down ammo so you can continue to pick up new smoke grenades and keep the screen going)

I also carry the AV ACE variant to help tanks in the column on wearing down opposing armor (can also long range get an occasional kill of enemy turret or infantry kill with it)
    Lastly AV mines lets you set up a screen of mines on a front/approach as a last ditch to disuade charging vehicle traffic eg. Harrasser hit and run and defensive sunderer screens for a charging heavy or light tank.

Engineer - MAX Unit and Generator Support
    Max out Repair tool
    Max out Nanoweave - in this case small arms fire can be a bigger threat than nade spam when the stray bullet gets past the MAX frame you are repairing/ Flak can be good here too but depends on how the opposition is attacking your Sponsored MAX unit.
    In this case I carry the ACE - Anti Infantry Turret (mostly as a deployable barrier...I find that manning the turret I'm just sniper bait in all but rare occasions eg indoor point lockdown)
    Weapon choice is generally pump action shotgun (with slugs at range and without for Biolab and indoor facility/courtyard and tower lockdowns)
    The PA shottie gives you a great option to switch to from repair tool and dispatch folks coming to sabo or repair a gen and at close range only takes 1 good shot to kill.

I hope this helps. I'll leave the heavy to someone else. I've got about 80 hours in HA and have some opinions but I haven't spent as much time tuning my playstyle and loadout in that class.

Good luck!
    • Up x 1
  4. Hazardous playa

Vanu, thanks guys! This helps a lot! :)
  5. Paqu

Patooie gave good options for engineer, but I would hold back from the last level of both nanoweave and flak armor. They cost 1000 certs each and doesn't really make much of a difference. There is just far too much other important things to get with 1K certs for a new player. So go for level 4 at tops.

As you are a vanu player like myself you really dont need to switch to a different weapon for the HA. Orion is a great weapon that Iam still using despite the fact I have played this since the launch. Get a forward grip and 1x reflex or IR/NW sight on it and you are good to go. Once you get the nanoweave on level 4 and resist on top of that you should easily win most of the 1v1 situations.

As for the engineer Solstice SF is a good choise, but the regular Solstice you start of with is great too. Put laser or forward grip on it + either of those scopes I recommended for HA and you are all set.
    • Up x 1
  6. Patooie

Really good point and yes if you are starting out the first few levels are easy and advisable. Once you've got the certs to spend getting those max levels are nice but as Paqu suggests there are a lot of other upgrades that you'd probably consider (vehicle and other classes) that you'll probably get first. Level 1 to Level 4 is huge compared to a relatively low benefit for the last notch. I've maxxed them (AHH double xp weekends...how I love them!)
  7. Gundem

Get a Lasher and dual Vortex's, Higby himself said they are the best ;)
  8. Joram

Cert medkits, you will never regret it.
  9. Patooie

First I've heard anyone recommend them. Are you serious or was that /sarcasm?
  10. Buphalo

You serious? I would take the Medkit over a Resto Kit anyday. Why wait 6 seconds to fully heal up? Nothing better than running around a corner, using a med kit and popping resist shield then killing some very surprised players who thought they were chasing a near death easy kill.
  11. Judgeratt

"Why wait 6 seconds to fully heal up?" They don't even fully heal you if you're using Nanoweave!

Resto kits *may* have some use for Medics and Resist Shield Heavies who use them preemptively, but Med kits are otherwise superior. It's worth noting that either kit costs the same amount of resources. Also, in terms of certs being able to carry one resto kit is a little cheaper than one med kit, but the difference is more than made up in the cost of the third kit. Carrying three or four med kits takes fewer certs than carrying the same number of resto kits.
  12. Ronin Oni

They're great for Heavies IMO

C4 can be equipped to let you 1 man mieguarded (but not blockade) sundies or just for some extra demo, but it's also terribly expensive and generally if you buy C4 it's more useful on LA.

Also, for only 50 certs you get a tool slot item for every class.

I definitely recommend picking up level 1 for every new player.
  13. PeanutMF

Almost every other heavy in my outfit runs med/resto kits over C4 except me.

I don't even know what a resto/med kit looks like, I've literally never used or certed them. Like you say, C4 is incredibly useful on your HA simply because you can solo ammo/mineguard sundies with it.

You can also conserve C4 against tanks by only using one brick and then shooting them in the back armour straight afterwards with a Decimator (I'm not entirely sure if a default dumbfire will work as well but I'm fairly sure they do), instead of having to use two as LA; of course you lack the mobility to get to tanks easier, but if there are a lot of tanks next to buildings or you are drop podding behind them it can be very useful and will save you a lot of Infantry Resouces and C4 in the long run, particularly if you are doing it very frequently (lots of dumb drivers).
  14. Ronin Oni

I got max C4 on both LA and Medic.... on BOTH TR & VS lmfao!

HA is next :D

Unless I really plan on vehicle ambushing though, I'll keep to my med kit (Got 2 of those too)

Other than HA... most other kits have a better option most of the time. I still use it occasionally on LA however.

The reason I recommend it for new players is it's a great tool slot for all your non-focused classes, saving you a ton of certs on "bare-boning" your alternate classes, and if you like Heavy, it's always a great option to have (though eventually getting C4 is recommended IMO)