Lightning AP vs ESF

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thrustin, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Frosty The Pyro

But a lightning AP shouldn't one shot an ESF, lightning AP does 1540 damage and ESFs have 1750 health.
  2. Sabreur

I'd be okay with this if ESFs were faster and had better burst damage (so they didn't have to slow down or hover to get a full rocket volley off). As is, it's way too easy to hit aircraft with tank guns.
  3. theo1170

Bull crap it's easy, it takes skill to put tank shells into ESFs, people that manage to do so should be rewarded!
    • Up x 1
  4. FigM

If we restore rocketpod power to what it was before tank armor buff, then I'm willing to go with stronger AP shells for Lightnings.

People should remember the arguments that were made for rocketpod nerf - it applies both ways. Same arguments can be made against tank shells being able to insta-kill ESF in the air. So to be fair you either allow both ESF and tanks to kill each other instantly, or neither gets to kill each other instantly.

And for those saying ESF is supposed to be fragile, well Lightning is also supposed to be fragile also and MBT is supposed to be the heavy tank.
  5. Thrustin

No **** sherlock, hence my thread and proposition to make it one shot an ESF
  6. Thrustin

A ESF relies on its manuverability and not its armor. Tanks are rather slow and immobile and could always be instantly killed by an ESF who approached them from behind. If you are hovering around a tank, or fly so low that a tank can kill you, the tank deserves the kill.

(Just a side note: I never really supported the indirect ESF rocketpod nerfs, I would not really mind if they were restored to previous values, but that's an entirerly different topic)
  7. Sabreur

Eh... I don't seem to have much trouble with it, at least not with AP rounds - high speed and a fairly flat trajectory makes for a pretty solid anti-air gun. I've shot down more ESFs with my lightning AP than I have with my Skyguard. Don't even get me started on how easy it is to tag Liberators and Galaxies.
  8. Pikachu

Yes. Would be more fun if python AP spelled death for ESF. Even if it didn't happen instantly. Currently an AP shell will give them enough time to fly away, land and repair.
  9. Village

Calibre is not everything. Larger calibre doesn't equal more damage. The IS-2 tank was fitting with a 122mm gun which had less armor penetration than a 100mm but due to significantly lower velocity, but could fire larger HE rounds making it more effective againced fortifications but less effective versus armor. The lightning looks like it has a very long barrel so would probably be very high velocity. It should have more velocity than other AP cannons in my opinion.
  10. Compass

Who what now? You just cited that a larger caliber may do less damage than a small caliber weapon due to muzzle velocity.

The AP 120 Prowler has both a larger caliber and a higher muzzle velocity compared to the AP 105 Lightning. And it hits even higher levels when you set it to Anchor mode, due to the engine being used to provide magnetic accelerator capabilities to the turret.
  11. Pikachu

I shot down another scythe! :D With 2 shots! He tried to get away when he suddenly lost 90% HP and catched fire, but I managed to hit him again before he got speed.

Shot down a liberator earlier, with the help of a friendly skyguard.
  12. Compass

Well, fires usually don't go out on ESFs @___@
  13. Village

Which in my opinion should change to give Lightning AP the highest muzzle velocity, before prowler deployment of course which boosts muzzle velocity.
  14. Thrustin

15. GaBeRock

I'm not necesarrily saying I agree, but ESFs are strike fighters, and IRL strike fighters have a pretty easy time taking out tanks with smart bombs.