PS2 going to PS4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bodmans, Jun 5, 2013.

1. bodmans

its official, Planetside2 will be launched on the PlayStation 4 as well

so basicly, was the PC version just a test run? when launched will we be guinea pigs for its follow-up updates?
    it brings the game to more people, thats a good thing. but does it belong on a consoe?
  2. vincent-

I would like to know how they think this is going too work?

It's been tested that PC vs Console players that PC players will always have the better skill and ability than any console? So are they going to get their own servers or are we going to see them actually have us play against console players?
  3. Rivenshield

Yup.

Probably.

I don't see why not... but it's a moot point. Smed already tweeted that we're going to be on different servers. No cross-platform reinforcements for us.
  4. R-A-B

I'd assume they would get there own servers. Although I believe cross - platform servers have been proven possible, as far as I'm aware console players have on average been utterly destroyed and pretty much rage quite if the format is fps.
  5. Crator

• Up x 1
  6. Littleman

The Playstations since the PS2 have always supported mouse and keyboard, however most developers do not code their games to support mouse and keyboard. The only exception I can fondly remember that comes to mind is Half-Life on the Playstation 2. That had mouse and keyboard support, and being the most graphically defined version of the original Half-life, WITH co-op even, it was glorious.

There was literally no reason the multitude of other shooters on the PS2 and PS3 couldn't have had M/KB support except for the odd game that actually used the sixaxis controls for some mundane and totally unimpressive reason, unless of course the developers absolutely wanted everyone to be on a level playing field with a game pad. Then came along the Eagle Eye Converter... But alas, maybe developers will get it right with the PS4? Nah, but at least we can trust in two scenarios with Planetside 2 on the Playstation 4.

Scenario 1:
    PS2 launches on the PS4 with native mouse and keyboard support. Yes, consoles are generally stereotyped as game pad platforms intended to be enjoyed with a game pad while sitting on the couch 2-3 meters away from your friggin' huge TV, but not everyone has a friggin' huge TV (or cares to/can play on one,) but if PS2 has native M/KB support, even if the servers are separated, the M/KB players will run the show provided they're not absolute crap. Thus, if PS2 has M/KB support on the PS4, it might as well be cross-platform.

Scenario 2:
    PS2 launches on the PS4 without mouse and keyboard support, at which point the direction SOE should go with server distribution should be obvious: PS4 exclusive servers.

I'm predicting our accounts will seemlessly carry at least, so all the goodies we bought on the PC should at least be unlocked on the console even if we have to start our characters all over on the PS4, and believe me... I'll be going PS4 if it has it's own exclusive servers and I can get my friends hooked. They're console players, not PC players (issue of cost dissuasion more than preference) and I'd rather play with them on a controller than without them but as a member of the master race... whom of which this forum has made clearly evident as a bunch of ignorant cry babies, AKA, "the CoD crowd."

P.S. There is no escaping the CoD crowd.

P.P.S. Both the PS2 and PS3 "start" menus (lack of a better term) could be operated using a mouse and keyboard, so the support was clearly there, the games just didn't use the peripherals.
  7. Andy79

pros of console:

- no cheaters (most likely)
    - consistent single platform optimized performance

cons:

- odd controls (maybe they release some custom planetside weaponry gadget you can aim at the tv/console)

:eek:

imo they should allow PC users to transfer their character/s to the console server and play on a ps4 if they want to (at least when pc servers turn in to fulltime ghosttowns)
  8. LelyanaTR

NO NO NO NO! they are Taking our jerbs!!!!
    • Up x 1
  9. AzureKnight

Well, I heard a reason why Dust 514 was PS3 exclusive and left off of PC was because of data transfer limits of the PS3. Namely, the down and upstreams for PS3, or their servers or something couldn't compare to computers and they wanted to have as fair a match as possible.Something like, the PS Network had a cap of 10 Mb while computers are averaging 20 Mb or more and the didn't want an unfair latency advantage or something.

if they can get around that issue, I'd hope that PS4 and Computer players could play together on the same servers.

I hope we aren't just the guinea pigs, but if we are, we are. In the end I'm not really surprised SOE wants to bring this to the PS4.
  10. mina5

hahahah how in the hell PS4 is going to handle over 1500 players per map :D ?

PS4 hardware is outdated compared to modern PC's...
    • Up x 1
  11. TeamGreener

Game comes out on consoles before PC: "Wtf way to neglect the REAL gamers"
    Game comes out on PC before consoles: "Wtf way to use us as a testing ground for your lame console gamers"
    Game comes out on PC at the same time as consoles: "Wtf I didn't ask for a cheap console port"
  12. ohmikkie

don't be ignorant. PS4 is most probably more hardware & OS optimised to play games than most gaming rigs out there.

also virtually all console FPSs have aim assist. If there will be cross platform servers don't expect to be owning.
  13. Lord Robert

Awww I was hoping for cross platform.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to make a new char over there too in order to get to play with my "I cant afford a gaming PC" friends.
    Hope unlocks are account wide for that server as well, but I doubt it.
  14. mina5

and its gona be 30fps .... you must relaise it consoles are way behind PC's .
    don't get me wrong is nice to get new consoles so they don't drag game indrusty that much anymore
  15. rickampf

How the hell a guy on PS4 can compete to a keybord and mouse guy on PC?
  16. Littleman

Like the MOVE? It's essentially the mouse/virtua-gun peripheral of the console (really, console RTS' should have taken off with this and the Kinect available.)

As for character transfers, that I doubt. I believe in startung everyone on equal ground initially, except where money purchases are concerned. Purchased goods should be transferred between platforms.

The only aim assist in MAG was done for the MOVE, and using that simply removed recoil so it pretty much made using a fore-grip null (which was a nice trade off for having spent $60... I guess) and an ever so slight tracking assist that could just as easily be the hand drifting of center. Otherwise, game pad users got rather clever in lining up shots... or paid for the Eagle Eye Converter.
  17. ohmikkie

Sweeping speculative statement. You could be right but I doubt it. Given the touted hardware specs of the PS4 I would be very surprised. But I cannot imagine the graphics quality would match top end PC's.

How many people get much more than 30fps, currently, in a large fight anyway.

The PC gaming hardware is more progressive. Consoles make leaps. That's all. You seem to forget that for previous gen consoles 60fps was the norm. There are a lot of layers of crap before you get to the hardware on PCs not so on consoles and usually console software tend to be more optimised due to the target is not generic hardware architecture.
  18. mpal

This is incorrect. There are cheaters in every game, regardless of platform.
  19. ohmikkie

Actually MAG does have aim assist for the controller. Its is just too subtle and natural to notice. Using the MOVE just upped the parameters for it. Killzone 2 did not have aim assist (where aiming was helped by the sluggish controls).

My point was if there was cross platform gaming for PS2 I assume there would be aim assist for the PS4 version. The only disadvantage console play still may have is turning 180 to make a kill.
  20. Bill Hicks

We got a free Triple A game. Since this is going to PS4 we will be taken care of.