GU10: Vehicle Projectiles Now Originate From the Camera...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WyrdHarper, Jun 4, 2013.

1. ElementalFiend

I just know this is going to end up with me getting killed by tanks that look like their turrets are completely blocked by other geometry.

I'll give it a shot, but I dunno.
  2. Rown

Yay, magriders have a turret now!
  3. KAHR-Alpha

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? It kind of kills the immersion for me.
    • Up x 8
  4. TallPaul_S

Thank god for this. The prowler will now be a bit more effective. God damn stupid offset turret!!

Just tested it on the test server and indeed, if you're sat behind a rock with the turret buried into said rock, as long as the weapon crosshairs are not obstructed, the shot will fire where you actually aim it!!
    • Up x 1
  5. Justicia

I'm not really bothered by the effects on ESFs, since I fly a Scythe and it wasn't that bad, but I wonder how this will affect the Tank Buster.
  6. Takoita

This looks like a quick test of how a centered Prowler turret would behave without changing anything that would be hard to roll back. I'm curious what will happen.
  7. Nyscha

No need to worry about Reavers..

Higby said the Reaver will be nerfed and brought into line with the mossy and the scythe in regards to the guns.
  8. Being@RT

I think a "fix" was necessary. Not that anything was actually wrong, just not userfriendly.

But I do disagree with the way they treated this problem, essentially moving the guns. A better solution would have involved moving the camera. But, with offset guns, that would mean the camera can't just rotate in place anymore (the camera position would be doing a small circle itself) and they couldn't be bothered to code that.

The barrels etc potentially blocking the view could have been an issue of course. Fluff the barrels out of the view area with the picture being computer generated from multiple other cameras' feed that aren't blocked or something.. like humans don't generally notice their own nose with both eyes open :p
  9. Xhaleon

You and me both, but it may be possible that they are going to change the design of some vehicles, maybe its a test run too, to see what works. If it comes out bad they can always revert.
    • Up x 1
  10. Alkezo

I do not agree with this change in the slightest. Implementing this stupidity into the game will drastically affect my decision to spend more money on this game. Making projectiles come from the camera makes a game hollow, shallow and most definitely unintelligent. Why think where a bullet is supposed to come from when it just fires directly from the center of your screen? Why even have a barrel on the tank? Why are we doing the opposite of progression in the gaming market? This does not improve the game-play, especially at the expense of realism. This is absolutely dumbing down the game.

Driving around a Magrider has given me a large number of experiences where I hit the ground instead of my target. Sure its annoying when that happens but that's okay! It makes sense, the projectile's vector intersected with the ground, causing it to collide before it reached my intended destination. Its my own fault for firing without thinking first and the game teaches me to increase my awareness of where the barrel is in relation to my camera and my surroundings.

I do not want this change. I do not want to play a game that continues to appeal to the customers that do not want to think. I was pleasantly surprised of the decent realism in an MMOFPS. I was not expecting decent convergence with bullets actually coming from the barrel and not the weapon's scope. It wasn't perfect, but it was good. I wasn't even aware the game had bullet drop for awhile due to playing VS when I started. While bullet drop rarely matters in infantry combat, it adds flavor to the game. The same kind of flavor that correctly vectored projectiles add. I feel this change is going backwards from good design and only encourages more unintelligent cries of various complaints.
    • Up x 10
  11. Snib

They'll absolutely need to change the Prowler model now or it'll just be silly with those shots coming from the middle of the tank and not where the gun is. It's great that both Prowler guns now hit the exact same spot because of this change, this will make the Prowler a lot easier to use since you won't have to constantly adjust your aim manually between the two shots.

The change doesn't seem to apply to infantry btw, at least on the test server their aim behaved like always, i.e. you'll hit a wall if your gun sticks into it even if your aim doesn't.
    • Up x 2
  12. Roll Fizzlebeef

What is with all of these huge gameplay changes that never appear on the test server?

First the Saron...

Now the bullet fires from the center of your screen for some reason.
  13. Kaska

*cough*AAMAX*cough*
  14. Snib

This is on the test server.
  15. gualty

Maybe i'll start using the prowler now.
    But i 100% agree with all the people asking for a Prowler re-design with cannons at the centre of the turret...
  16. TallPaul_S

TR have been asking for this since the Beta. We won't get it. :(

However this change makes things A LOT better.
  17. gualty

18. y3ivan

be prepared to be instagib by them now.
  19. gloowa

soooo.... the magrider projectile will now fire from middle of the front hull? it will look stoopeed, but at least i won't hit the ground 2m in front of me half the time.

also, i will need to unlearn compensating with lighting turret on very close ranges...
  20. Shinrah

Right, because the poor Prowler was so useless until know...what with the all the super high velocity and longrange spamsniping thx to anchor....

Anyway, good change always hated this. Especially tedious with weapons like the Lightning AP that requires direct hits and has a very small projectile.