ReachCast Episode 36 - "Nerf Aegis Shield"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Noxx(ia), Jun 4, 2013.

1. Noxx(ia)

[IMG]

Hey guys! Episode 36 here for ya! We discussed the Higby Interview on War Report, discussed Volume 2 of Sky's Blueprints and some of the Roadmap updates that have occurred. We haven't had a contest in a while, so here it is: Anyone who helps us by bumping this thread will get a chance of winning a Dog Tag of their choice. Note, these bumps must abide by SOE Forum rules, so bumps that say things like "bump" or "1st" will be excluded, as we do want to respect those rules! Feel free to respond to the community question or give us some feedback (positive or negative). United States Only guys. :( Sorry! These things are about $10 to ship outside of the US and sadly, we're not made of money.

Thanks!

Listen
    reachcastshow.com (This is a direct link that will let you listen without downloading anything!)
    Stitcher (Don't forget to give us some thumbs up! Help make us the number 1 gaming podcast.)
    iTunes (We Like Reviews!)
    Twitch (Community Clash Thursday)

Mentioned Links
    PTS Build
    War Report Higby Interview
    RoadMap
    Sky's Blueprints Vol 2: Factions and Asymmetrical Balance
    Higby Tweet on SCU Gens

Contact Info
    Twitter: @ReachCastShow
    Personal Twitter Accounts: @reachcasttorkz | @noxxia | @TheDeringer
    E-Mail: ReachCastShow@gmail.com
    Voice Mail: (415) 787-3224
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/reachcast
    Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/groups/reachcast
    YourTube: ReachCastMedia
    Facebook: ReachCast Show

Peace!
  2. Noxx(ia)

And Don't forget, I'll be streaming the episode at 9:00PM EST on our twitch channel to some live game play. I just ordered a streaming rig, so this will hopefully be the last night of low settings :)
  3. Deringer

4. Noxx(ia)

Tony, Ban his ***. Just for a day.
    • Up x 1
  5. bodmans

so you made this thread with the title of nerfing the current worst max ability? wth

anyway the aegis needs a reshape or buff. all frontal damage should be negated when active, and shoulders and such shouldt be exposed. and introduce a shield bash
    • Up x 2
  6. Noxx(ia)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    • Up x 2
  7. bodmans

indeed but could you at least explain why you want it nerfed, because like this youre no better than the majority of NERF X, BUFF Y threads
    • Up x 1
  8. Salryc

I am enjoying all the people thinking Aegis Shield is UP. Makes it easier to farm with it. =)
    • Up x 2
  9. Lord Robert

I've always loved Reachcast :D
    • Up x 2
  10. Deringer

I hope you win Lord Robert, because you obviously listen :D
    • Up x 1
  11. Haterade

Good work as always, guys. Maybe we can get Noxx back running OPs with IR, so we can hear more about how TR weapons are trash.
    • Up x 1
  12. Angry Scientist

If you actually explained why it was worth a nerf, maybe I'd agree with you. As it is, it feels a little underpowered. The only upside it has over charge is that using it once doesn't require you to wait. Beyond that, most any situations that you'd use the shield to escape or advance charge would work better to close the gap.
    • Up x 2
  13. EliteEskimo

An honest question for you, do think we should balance things based on how the skilled players use the weapon or how the majority of players use the weapon.
    • Up x 1
  14. Noxx(ia)

I think my favorite thing about this so far is the people who clearly aren't listening to the episode.
  15. bodmans

this isnt radio, this is the internet.

EDIT, hve been listening, aegis part start at 20... get to the point earlier
  16. Noxx(ia)

So, that's a really hard question to answer actually. I'd say it comes down to How SOE wants to implement the MLG aspect of PS2. Highly organized players do things FAR differently than casual players. I had this problem with SC2, and it's why I quit. I like SC2, but I liked playing Zerg, and Zerg even won the first major SC2 tournament. But most players at the time agreed that the skill curve was much harder than say...BIOBALL BS. I lost time and time again to players that when reviewing the matches were clearly worse than me as they couldn't macro or micro as well as me, but because bioball was so easy, would win. I'm not that good at SC2, but I hated that balance changes were decided purely on the MLG level, and not geared towards the casual/bads. Now, making a similar comparison between MLG and non-MLG for planetside 2 (I don't want to say casual because some outfits take things very seriously, but have no interest in MLG), if Balance changes are made purely on an MLG basis, where the serious players play the game significantly differently, you'll see a LOT of outcry form those that have no interest in MLG. I believe to be the majority of players, and in a game where having lots of players matters, pissing off the majority of players to appeal to the minority is a really bad idea if you ask me. The difference between Planetside 2 and SC2 is a SC2 has a MUCH larger following of *established* players, so Blizzard can get away with gearing the game towards MLG. Blizzard actually gains from tournament play, even if it costs them money, which I wouldn't be surprised if competitive play actually makes them money. I don't believe PS2 has that leverage. A lot of players will quit, esspecialy since the majority of players haven't given SOE a dime, giving them no reason to invest time into the game and overcome the changes made for MLG play. The simplest thing they can do is gear things towards the masses to keep the game fun for the majority of players, and if that tuning doesn't work, because some of the mechanics are exploitable giving one empire an advantage over another due to asymmetrical balance, then those things should be excluded from MLG gameplay, rather than tuned to work. just imo.

TLDR, gear it towards the masses because the masses make the game. There is no game without the masses. Seeing as SOE is already planning on leaving weapons/features out of MLG play in the name of balanced competition, i think this is the best bet.
    • Up x 2
  17. Noxx(ia)

and you still don't sense the sarcasm involved? :)
  18. bodmans

no im at 50 minutes listening for aegis arguments, i heard aegis 3 times now. all in just 1 to 3 sentences. you cant go and call an episode, or a forum thread nerf aegis and NOT have a viable story or arguments
  19. Kevorkian

Is this opinion only meant to stir up listeners for your sub par show? Will next episode be "Nerf Lockdown"?
  20. Noxx(ia)

What could we do to make it better?