Alright, can we do something about cloaks on IR scopes?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VinLAURiA, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Adamar09

One that doesn't want to cook its wearer, presumably.
  2. MarlboroMan-E

I don't cloak at all, and use IR sights most of the time. No change required, aside from Esamir day time, there is no downside to IR.
  3. LonelyTerran

I am absolutely screwed with infiltrators in the area.
  4. Niamar

My infiltrator gets killed while cloaked before getting into smg range all the time.

Tweak your graphics settings or better yet try playing an infiltrator and see the results for yourself.
  5. LibertyRevolution

It doesn't matter what your settings are, they are completely invisible under HS/NV..

Since you don't seem to get it, here is a video:

You want us to hipfire at a guy with a scoped sniper riffle, guess how that usually ends?
    Telling people not to ADS at a sniper is not a valid answer..

I agree that they should not show up as a white silhouette, but they should show up as a distortion..
    • Up x 1
  6. Int

THAT is how infiltrator cloak should work:

and that's how it SHOULD NOT
    • Up x 1
  7. Dragonblood

It sucked as it was before. You were able to identify infiltrators with NV-optics with abolutely no effort.
  8. Zan_Aus

What has this got to do with snipers? HV can't see any targets at sniper ranges. This is about close to mid range combat where you can hipfire.

If you're getting killed by infiltrators continuously then swap out your HV for a 1 or 2x scope for a bit until the bad men go away.
  9. illgot

You already have motion detection which detects cloaked players.

A 30 cert scope that makes one of the most class defining abilities useles... no.
  10. }{ellKnight

I like how people totally ignored the opening post and posted thinking OP is asking for a return of the old IRNV scope...
  11. DreamlessLiberty

Don't know why you would want to use an IRNV scope unless you want to see the world in ugly or use smoke grenades. Using anything other than the IRNV scope would solve your problem.
  12. Rhiaci

I'd switch off the NV if they had provided a 1x or 2x scope which does not obscure targets at 40m+ with its reticule. They havent, hence IR/NV it is.
  13. Goretzu

It probably should show up in some way though, as opposed to not in anyway at all.
  14. Snib

Forumsiders do not react to posts that are not asking for a nerf.

As yes I agree with the OP. With the extremely low TTK that infiltrators have, typically there is no time to descope and reacquire the target before they finish you off.

And someone asked: Both vehicle NV and HV scopes have the same issue. I'm usually relying on NV on my ground vehicles to see through all the smoke and that did get me killed quite a few times by a cloaked fury flash (which will take out a harasser before you can even swivel the turret around).
  15. NinjaTurtle

Ok, I would be ok for players to see cloaked players using IV scopes if they fix the low resolution cloak bug that allows all players to see cloaked players without certing into anything other than having a **** computer.... or a great computer but are taking an advantage of an exploit
  16. Snib

Running low graphics settings is an exploit now? LMFAO, try again.
  17. NinjaTurtle

It is when it allows you to circumvent a classes special ability through a bug in the game(that still hasn't been fixed after being there or months).

Maybe you have not seen how a cloaked player looks when viewed on low graphics, but they basically appear white and are at times even more visible than when not cloaked at all

If you can't see a problem in that link I don't know what to say and that is in broad day light.... try using your cloak at night or in shadows it becomes impossible to use properly
    • Up x 1
  18. Snib

Suggest you google what exploit means.

That aside, since Quake 1 competitive players have been running low graphics settings to gain an advantage. Or in other words, the eye candy modes always put you at a disadvantage. It is something you can do nothing about on the PC where not everybody runs the same hardware and you do not want to artificially limit your market (which PS2 already does in a way by having very high entry level requirements).

Of course you could make infiltrators completely invisible in all modes, which would also "fix" the NV/HV scope issue. IMHO they should however be made more visible in high graphics settings instead and also show up as shadows in the scopes. Infiltrators already have the lowest TTK and when fully certed are basically perma-cloaked, they don't need even more advantages. The exception is when standing still they should become completely invisible in all modes as far as I'm concerned, at least after a moment.

As to the white infiltrator in the video: that doesn't actually look like that on my system with low settings. I see a dark and hard to see shadow when toggling to low. Might depend on graphics card/location or ingame time of day or something - I'm usually running maxed out settings so not sure.
    • Up x 1
  19. treeHamster

Guys, here's a solution, don't use IRNV. Unless you're in a vehicle using explosive weapons (which does make it harder to follow your next shot without IRNV), you should man up and not use a noob scope.

Other than vehicle smoke, most people don't use UBGL smoke because it is really annoying for everyone and destroys game performance. So there's no point to using IRNV other than because you're an epic noob.

So like I said, upgrade your skill level and don't use the noobiest attachment in this game.
  20. metrotw

As someone with almost 9000 kills with the fury flash I can tell you that you are full of sh*t. Go to the VR and unload the fury into the back of a harasser and come back here and report on how many magazines it took and how many seconds. The only way you're going to get killed "before you swivel the turret around" is if you're in the red and on fire.

People make up so much shi*t on this board it's *******g pathetic.