Will An Alienware M17x Be Able To Run PS2 Smoothly?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NoMoarAmmo, Jun 1, 2013.

1. NoMoarAmmo

I'm thinking of getting an Alienware M17x R4 laptop

Specs:
    Intel 17 3rd Gen
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
    8 Gigs of Memory
    1 tb SSD Raid 0
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M

Should this work?
  2. haldolium

Yes it would work

Though I wouldn't ever waste money on Alienware. They're heavily overpriced and despite their claims and offers, Notebooks are not made for gaming. Thats not exclusive to Alienware but they're good in fooling people. Heat reduction simply needs a certain amount of space to work properly.

You'd be better off getting a desktop PC for that money. Probably even be cheaper.
  3. Blitzkrieg

What Haldolium said, and get a Desktop.
  4. BlackDove

Get a desktop, but not an Alienware one lol.
    • Up x 2
  5. NoMoarAmmo

Oh well I'm going to college soon and I want something that can be portable. i chose the M1x b/c it seems both powerful and balanced. I don't really need a desktop right now. But thanks for the suggestions.
  6. Paulus

The MSI GT70 is probably as good as laptop gaming gets. If your budget well stretch that far its going to be as close to a desk top as you can get for laptop portability.
  7. jemiol

Alienware was great before Dell bought it out, now I wouldn't touch it
  8. haldolium

Well in that case there isnt much of an alternative (despite the even worse Razer ones I guess) but still be aware... playing HQ 3D games and noteboks is just not the best combination and may get you in trouble in a variety of cases (compability, noise level, heat level, performance, usability... )

You may still find cheaper notebooks from other vendors though with equal or even better 3D abilites. Lenovo really got their **** together the past years and became quite a good and comparable cheap vendor, Sony Vayo series on the other hand degraded. I personally have a Dell XPS for the CPU power, though I'd never recommend it since that series still suffers the random-fan-spinning bug and has a enourmous annoying noise level.
  9. Alexlightning7

Isnt much of an alternitive? WTF?
    Sager, Clevo, MSI, Valkarie, ASUS, Maingear, and Hell, even Origin are all available, and almost always better price per performance then alienware.
    And thats just on the high end market. Lenovo and HP are both the go too in the mid range 630m-660m(and amd equivilent) range.
    Lenovo has started offering the new 750m, which is sometimes up to the performance of a 670m. they also offer the option to upgrade to SLI 750ms later.
    Speaking of upgrading, Clevo, Sager, And some MSI are upgradable like dekstops, so thats something to consider when buying.

You have plenty of options other then alienware (and the absolutely horrible price/performance: razer)

OP, What is you budget?
    Thats really what it comes down too.
    Also, do you need a 17.3" screen? trust me, those things are hardly portable. Also, the standard 15.6" laptops are usually cheaper. almost always in fact.
  10. haldolium

That came out wrong actually, I meant the way Aw sells theirs as "gaming" notebooks. Otherwise you have just to look at the hardware facts instead of fancy advertising.
  11. TheAppl3

Echoing the cheaper notebooks suggestion - just got a Lenovo Ideapad Y400 with a 3630QM/8GB/750M/1TB with SSD cache for $820 with our silly taxes, around $770 without. I honestly was not looking for a "gaming" laptop, but this was the same price as an i5/8GB/igfx system I was looking at so I figured why not. I can't give you a real review on it yet since it came with a positively silly little manufacturing defect and is now halfway across the country for fixing. From what little I used of it before packing up to RMA it was quite nice.

The point is that the silly $2,300 Alienware is what, 10-15% better than a $800-900 Lenovo? That's sad.

MSI/ASUS stuff is very solid. I think Sager has an i7/660M setup for $1100 or so.

Price to performance, Alienware (and lol @ Razer) is ridiculous.
  12. BlackDove

If he's prepared to spend a ton of money on a laptop, he could get a Maingear. I might wait until the Haswell mobile CPU's with the Iris Graphics are out too.

http://www.maingear.com/custom/notebooks/nomad17/index.php That's a pretty sweet and expensive laptop. You can get it with SSD RAID etc. as well. Total waste of money compared to a desktop, but if you don't care about price I'd choose that over an Alienware any day.
    • Up x 1
  13. Alexlightning7

yeah, maingear is ok, but still not great price per performance.

If I were going for looks, aswell as being cheaper then Alienware, I would go with Origin.
    http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/

Now if I were to actually get a laptop, a Sager(not gonna get because they have stopped selling the 7970m in their 15.6" model, now only available with a 680m) or the Clevo base model that sager buys from clevo for the upgradabilty and low price, or one of the fantastic deals on a Valkyrie with a 680m for 1500$.
    Unfortionately Valkyrie only has 17" laptops, I prefer 15.6".