We wouldn't have a lattice if...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZoeAlleyne, May 29, 2013.

1. ZoeAlleyne

I can tell you are a solo player from your post. I see no problem with the current spawn system, I can see plenty of places where to go, I have an outfit to coordinate with as well as an alliance of outfits to coordinate with, Shout out to the ARA!!! If you are seriously complaining about having to pick where to spawn when you die, you are either dying too much or are used to CoD randomly deploying you someplace to go run and gun and not think about where your going or what you are doing. I don't want to sound like an elitist here but if you have a problem with thinking about tactically spawning man, this is probably not the game fore you. I hear BF4 will be out soon.
  2. Lyel

XP isn't the only reason people ghost cap.
  3. Crazyfingers

You're absolutely right, I am a solo player, I tried the platoon deal briefly but it just didn't float my boat. It's not that I'm a brain dead plebian who needs others to wipe the spit off my mouth, to the contrary platoon play I find just as mind numbing.

Tactics and positioning are thrown around a lot, but truth be told there really isn't any depth to this game, numbers crush smaller numbers, and armor crushes infantry. AA crushes air. That's really about all there is to know about the meta game in these parts.

I've made several posts describing the overall shortcomings of this game, thousands have. But these all fall on deaf ears. Planetside is left with a supreme minority of its potential user base, it's a self fulfilling community with odd tastes to have stuck around this long.

And you're right about this game not being for me, it's not for a lot of people. It's actually quite unfun, but there's always a fringe minority that'll get off playing all manner of cooky games.
  4. Machine Spirit

all fair points with which I completely agree, its simply my personal grudge against ghost capping and the like that I wish lattice to stay, I wouldn't mind it being removed as much aslong as something is done about ghost capping, people keep bringing up real wars whenever I state this(not saying you do) but the flip side is in a real war you can't expect to be able to take a massive base without any resistance.

perhaps a possible alternative would be to make base defenses automated, I know people seem allergic to this in PS2, but I think it could stop alot of ghost capping, and that when you enter them yourself, you'll be much more accurate than the A.I controlled version or give the A.I version a slower rate of fire. (just throwing suggestions out there, rather than mindless defending lattice which I agree is taking away the tactical side)

just my two cents on the matter, me and my friends always look at our screens annoyed whenever we see a base we took is being flipped again right behind us, but we can't do anything about it cause nobody is willing to listen and turn around to secure it once more. Admitted I do enjoy the big zerg v zerg clashes, but I also agree that in the old hex they happened too.
  5. Biytor

Lattice removes content wide fronts and focus them into a few routes, this is a good thing. No more wack-a-mole style play, now tactics and strategy come into play. Interdiction is now important to stop reinforcements coming in, you can't just jump past the base and cap the next outpost to achieve the same effect. You now have to take and hold the territory under fire and interdict the enemy with tactics and strategy.

Those of you say that there is no strategy or tactics in this game, haven't played with TG, I play with those platoons and squads as much as possible because of the use of tactics and strategy. Squads moving to support each other on an advance, holding high ground outside the cap point because it gives covering fire for those inside, using combined arms to achieve victory over superior numbers. Stopping the zerg cold in it's tracks with only 2 platoons holding key points in the area, is normal, everyday play for TG.

Tactics and strategy become even more important with the introduction of the lattice system. Knowing where to hold ground and when to give it, where to flank and when, how to envelope and preform pincer maneuvers to cut the enemy off. All this becomes more important when avenues of attack are limited to maximize your effectiveness. Lattice forces the solo player to adapt or die and that's where all the whining about it is coming from. This game wasn't designed for the solo player, it was designed for squads, platoons, companys and outfits that work together to reach a goal.
    • Up x 1
  6. axiom537

I disagree, I feel the Lattice actually improves the amount of strategy needed & actually gives meaning to capturing or losing territory, where this was relatively meaningless under the Hex system. I am going to steal a post from McFatal, who I think explains how the lattice actually improves and rewards strategic moves.

"The amount of strategy or tactics you can actually use and put forward with either territory mechanic is very minimal. Most tactics in this game revolve around the actual battle itself and have nothing to do with the territory mechanics.

One very controversial tactic comes to mind, and is made much better with lattice now compared to hex. That's, going behind enemy lines.

In the hex design, it was known as ghost capping and was really easy to do, and really annoying to deal with. In lattice, it holds a bit more weight and does it in a way that makes sense. Just tonight during my outfit's ops, we were holding crossroads watchtower against the VS and NC. To the west, the VS just took Hvar Northgate, and were about to go to Quartz Ridge. If I remember correctly, we sent a squad to Quartz Ridge to defend the gate. The squad itself had no hope of taking on the superior VS forces alone, but they were meant to slow them down while the rest of us went to Hvar Northgate, behind the enemy lines since they were at Quartz Ridge, and started the hack on Hvar Northgate. Once we did that, the VS at Quartz Ridge could not hack the points, they were forced to return and face us. That's awesome, that gives rewards to going behind enemy lines without making it ridiculous and opening up a bunch of doors.

In the old hex design, this situation would be silly. The VS would still cap quartz ridge and we'd cap Hvar Northgate. So, you're probably thinking "Well just use that mechanic in the hex, fixed" but it's not that simple either. The way the mechanic works is if you have a secured link to the base so you can hack it. Imagine Regent Rock Garrison. TR Hold Xenotech and Scarred Mesa. The VS have started the hack on Xenotech. TR can still start the hack on Regent Rock because we have the secured link from Scarred Mesa. Situations like that are possible in the lattice network, but aren't as common.

In the hex design, this mechanic would flop because of adjacency. You'd have a secured link to your base all the time unless you were essentially cut off from all other territories.

So going behind enemy lines is a strategy in the lattice that becomes lot more rewarding now, because it actually affects the enemy who didn't watch their backs. In the hex, it didn't really do anything since the enemy could ignore it. And correct me if I'm wrong but that's the strategy so many people are complaining that they felt they lost with lattice, when in fact it was made more powerful.".....McFatal
    • Up x 1
  7. Rhiaci

Why would you ghost cap for certs? I can make more certs in 5 minutes of heavy fighting than I could make in one hour of ghost capping.

And it's much more fun as well.