[VID] Infantry Training - movement & suppressive fire

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Loopback0, Apr 21, 2013.

1. bodmans

nice vid, but did it ever have any effect in taking a base? i can think of 1 HA sneaking up behind and mowing you down
  2. Loopback0

The vid is not intended for 1:1 implementation on the battlefield, it is actually necessary to agree an a certain lingo and tool-set which then needs to be adapted per combat situation.

The worst enemy of group cohesion is IMHO a Tank with HE Turret or a LA with C4. But there is always a shiny and a dark side of each medal. Getting standard drills into the head of squad members is essential though to make sure you get anywhere.

Regards

Loop
  3. Dagonlives

Can't say that supression is an especially effective tactic in planetside 2. better to just quickly burn down targets with accurate shots then move up. Planetside 2 people don't give a **** about being shot at, and the guns do high damage and have a high capacity compared to how many bullets it takes to kill someone.

Fireteams is a smart idea for players that do not yet play dynamically though, and on a platoon vs platoon size engagement.

Also, you guys tend to stick far too close together. A good shot can tag three of you at once with just one weapon. Try spreading out 3-5 meters between each of you.

Game like ARMA and Red Orchestra this makes a lot of sense. Planetside not so much.
  4. Littleman

Suppression works if it's against one or two guys with limited space to step out into, primarily found in CQC situations, and they're not so bright as to find a flanking route. People aren't so afraid of suppression, but they're also unlikely to step out into a hail of bullets either, provided those rounds render in the first place of course. Suppressing a hill though? Good luck with that.
  5. Loopback0

First constructive feedback so far, thanks for that. But as i wrote prior this is basically a drill and the target is totally irrelevant. But the spacing is definable an issue and has been already identified. If you guys actually ever had the experience of leading squads or platoons you might have an idea how hard it is to control the "cowboys". ;)
  6. Dagonlives

Getting people to move in groups is great. I expect you get strong results from that. I did the same thing with my old outfit before i moved on (fireteams, bounding etc, military style tactics we learned from a marine sergeant adapted to planetside 2). I think the important thing is to not mistake why this works (which it does).

I think that it works not because you 'suppress the target' but because you get a number of players focusing on a single point, creating a crossfire in which you have more guns targeting the enemy then they have targeting you. So setting up a team dynamic for achieving those crossfires is a smart idea. If you can break those teams down to 2-3 players, should be really solid.

Way I see it, two main ways to improve that drills:

1: Spread out further, or reduce the size of the teams

2: Keep moving while you shoot, practice moving while you shoot. Crouching in planet side is a really bad idea that gives negligible results. Since this is a CoD/BF3 action style shooter you should really never crouch and never stop moving. The guns are still very accurate on the move.

Glad to see someone is trying organized play in a pubber setting. I rarely see that sort of thing on Waterson. It's never 'woah they flanked us' its always 'oh they brought an extra platoon.'.