Is it time to nerf engineers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bill Hicks, May 27, 2013.

1. R-A-B

1-You know this was the original plan, however I believe it was switched because hardly anyone picked ammo over offensive items that can kill (People are generally selfish like that) so ammo was harder to come buy and it hindered the flow of battle. In short option A was less fun then B for all involved

2-Aim for the head and they won't stand a chance. If you have a rapid fire weapon then get in closer if possible. Remember that if they get in the vehicle then they are not repairing it, which assuming they were repairing because of sustained damage allows team mates to more easily finish the job

3-I'm assuming the situation you have for this is a tank or sunderer being repaired by 3+ engineers. Certainly annoying but relatively easily overcome with a good infiltrator flank or a decent (or very lucky) Lib run
  2. Cryless

the current state of the engi is good
  3. KodanBlack

Tired of "nerf this" threads. Engineers are fine. They're not OP, just really useful and are one of the two most important support classes. I don't support nerfs out of hand. Any suggestion to reduce the effectiveness of something in game must be supported by stats and facts, not just "I can't do that", or "that killed me" whining, which this forum seems to be filled with.
    • Up x 2
  4. Sharmanti

I only use engis when A) Maxes need repairs/soldiers need ammo B) When I bring an UBGL C) When I'm driving an vehicle.

90% of the time as an infantry I am either heavy, light or infil. Engineer is quite worthless unless around vehicles or big amounts of people.
  5. NoctD

Thought the UB grenade and rocket resupply has already been nerfed, not completely but not what it used to be.

Infinite ammo for self is overrated anyways... at least when I play HA I can use the shield to take a bit more damage before dying, and of course a MAX can take some punishment before they go down.
  6. MFP_TK_01

I love how the second sentence contradicts the first. That was incredible how you pulled that off!
  7. Jex =TE=

• [IMG] x 46
    LOL!
    • Up x 1
  8. Rickenbacker

The one thing I'd like fixed is the rendering of the AT turrets (or, as we all know them, the "anti-everything" turrets). If the turret isn't rendering to you, it should not be able to damage you. It's hard enough to survive as a tank at the moment, without having invisible engineers blasting you from half the map away.
  9. Farlion

Don't care about engineer, minus the AV Turret. There's very few things that are more ridiculous than the lolAV turret.
  10. Ash87

No, engineers should be buffed.

And by buffed I mean, they should get more variety in placeables so that they can be effective Combat engineers.
  11. TheBillOf3D

The AV turret has already been nerfed to the point of only assisting a kill or taking out a dim bulb. Ban nerfs and the people who cry for them. If they nerf AV they need to buff it for AA and snipers.
  12. Udnknome

Stand still for 8 seconds (4.5 when fully certed) on the battlefield to shoot 1 rocket, then tell me if the AV turret is OP. Imagine if you couldn't move while reloading, it's kinda like that.

AV turret is only annoying in groups, How about you keep 2 engies on your sunderer so it doesn't get blown up? How about you upgrade your repair tool on your engie rather than spamming HA all the time and complaining about your sunderer getting blown up. Cert Nanite repair on your tank so you don't need a second engie.
  13. Farlion

Completely different. I don't even use a Sunderer, by the way.

Also, I cannot take up a position where a tank cannot hit me, have unlimited ammo, be very hard to spot and **** the tank in a few seconds.
  14. MFP_TK_01

You can't climb on some rocks or hang out on a air platform of a tower, stand next to an ammo drop, and crouch?
  15. Farlion

That would require an Engineer, no?

Also, again you're comparing bananas and oranges. HA is supposed to be good against tanks.
    Engineers AV turret hits you out nowhere and incredibly hard, even harder than HA.
  16. Udnknome

With the GU9 Tank buffs it currently takes 5 AV Turret rockets to kill a MBT. That's 22 seconds minimum if fully certed and you don't get out to repair. 40 seconds at base model. There are very few points in the game where I have the high ground to pull that off. If it is taking less than 22 seconds for your MBT to die, it is because of combined arms, not because of one engie.

BTW if you cert racer frame, you will be harder to hit.
  17. MFP_TK_01

No it doesn't require an engineer to climb rocks or stand on a air platform. I may enable my friend with his AA fetish but I draw the line with giving him a piggyback ride.

For the infinite ammo, yes an engineer needs to drop a pack. By dropping the pack everyone around it (7 meters in my case) gets infinite ammo for 6 minutes, not just the engineer himself. And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  18. Tamas

So you want to nerf a class because of your own failures? Engineers repairing a tank? Kill them. In MOST games you want to kill "healers" first, unless you are confident you damage faster than the target is repaired.

If you fail to kill an engineer at points blank when he is repairing, its purely a skill issue.

I only agree on AV turret nerf, changing other stuff would ruin a fun class that does what it is supposed to.
  19. Slaidd

As someone who plays and engineer most of the time, I pretty much disagree with every single thing the OP said.

To your last point, OP, there already is a huge reduction in repair efficiency when an engineer is targeted while they're repairing something, it's called they die. Obviously you don't play engineer much, because if you're discovered while trying to repair something, you as the engineer, are completely defenseless and are most times dead before you can even switch to a gun, let alone defend yourself.

And quite frankly, if your so ******** by AV turrets, and this goes for anyone calling for nerfs, I suggest you hop on your handy-dandy infiltrator, grab your biggest sniper rifle, and go AV Turret hunting. Because an engineer using an AV turret is about the easiest headshot IN the game and I'm also including someone AFK taking a squirt in that statement as well. So just stop crying about the AV turret, it's fine and has PLENTY of counters to it.
  20. Slaidd

And don't forget, when/if you're overrun by enemy forces, that ammo pack you drop that lasts 6 minutes and has a 7m range, now benefits the enemy. I can't tell you how many times I've run into an area after chasing the enemy away and think, hey thanks for the ammo! So, yeah, sorry, this is also fine as it is.